  1. Andy Petro

    Andy Petro Guest

    Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

    Andy Petro, Jan 15, 2009

  2. Andy Petro

    tom Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message
    news:gkm5g7$1pr$...
    > Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

    After being charged $3.95 for a "free" account a couple months ago I was
    able to DL articles but was never able to post. Tech support never responded
    to any of my inquires.

    tom, Jan 15, 2009

  3. Andy Petro

    Mike Easter Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:
    > Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

    Yes.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 15, 2009
  4. Andy Petro

    elaich Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in news:gkm5g7$1pr$1
    @news.motzarella.org:

    > Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

    It's very unreliable.

    elaich, Jan 15, 2009
  5. Andy Petro

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:21:20 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Andy Petro wrote:
    >> Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

    >Yes.

    Won't connect for me.

    joevan, Jan 15, 2009
  6. Andy Petro

    walter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > joevan wrote:

    >>> Yes.

    >> Won't connect for me.

    > You will notice that I posted that message of mine you are replying
    > via teranews. I don't normally use it. I consider teranews to be
    > poorly admin/ed. Previously it used to carry an advertising trailer
    > on every post.
    >
    > I'm not very interested in troubleshooting whether or not people are
    > having problems with free.teranews.com -- but if you are having
    > troubles, I would use a tool which doesn't require a newsreader, such
    > as IDServe
    >
    > Initiating server query ...
    > Looking up IP address for domain: free.teranews.com
    > The IP address for the domain is: 69.16.185.252
    > Connecting to the server on remote port: 119
    > [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    > 200 (newsfe06.iad Welcome) (newsfe06.iad) (Tornado v1.2.3.534.1)
    > Query complete.
    >
    > Then I would log the newsreader/newsserver transaction. With OE, the
    > logging function is turned on in the maintenance tab.
    >
    > Most of the people who are having trouble didn't change over their
    > login from username to as required/requested by
    > the tera news admin.

    I don't use Teranews, but was the request made obvious? Like via email or a
    login message or something?

    Big red flag went up for me when I saw that a service that advertises itself
    as being 'free' costs $3.95

    walter, Jan 15, 2009
  7. Andy Petro

    Mike Easter Guest

    walter wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Most of the people who are having trouble didn't change over their
    >> login from username to as required/requested by
    >> the tera news admin.

    > I don't use Teranews, but was the request made obvious? Like via email
    > or a login message or something?

    I don't want to defend tera about anything -- as a general rule I
    recommend that people use other newsservers -- but during the change from
    user to user@ requirement, part of the time the website was down and part
    of the time it was up and said:

    http://teranews.com:7080/blogs/status/ Please make sure you add
    @teranews.com to the end of your user name in your news client. The new
    servers require this and you will get 502 errors if you don't.

    In addition, eventually tera sent out an email informing registered users
    of the change.

    > Big red flag went up for me when I saw that a service that advertises
    > itself as being 'free' costs $3.95

    Tera is a commercial newsservice which resells access to highwind servers.
    Their cheapest account is the $4 for 10000 days account which provides
    access to binaries and text and unlimited posting with a 50 meg/day cap on
    downloading. Previously the posting 'tariff' was a teranews advertising
    trailer which is currently gone. Without the ad trailer, except for the
    admin problems, the $4 deal isn't so bad for someone who doesn't need many
    binaries from them.

    free.teranews.com DNS 69.16.185.252 no rDNS

    OrgName: Highwinds Network Group, Inc.
    NetRange: 69.16.128.0 - 69.16.191.255

    The newsserver also answers like a highwind newsserver.

    Mike Easter, Jan 15, 2009
  8. Andy Petro

    walter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > walter wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Most of the people who are having trouble didn't change over their
    >>> login from username to as required/requested
    >>> by the tera news admin.

    >> I don't use Teranews, but was the request made obvious? Like via
    >> email or a login message or something?

    > I don't want to defend tera about anything -- as a general rule I
    > recommend that people use other newsservers -- but during the change
    > from user to user@ requirement, part of the time the website was down
    > and part of the time it was up and said:
    >
    > http://teranews.com:7080/blogs/status/ Please make sure you add
    > @teranews.com to the end of your user name in your news client. The
    > new servers require this and you will get 502 errors if you don't.
    >
    > In addition, eventually tera sent out an email informing registered
    > users of the change.
    >
    >> Big red flag went up for me when I saw that a service that advertises
    >> itself as being 'free' costs $3.95

    > Tera is a commercial newsservice which resells access to highwind
    > servers. Their cheapest account is the $4 for 10000 days account
    > which provides access to binaries and text and unlimited posting with
    > a 50 meg/day cap on downloading. Previously the posting 'tariff' was
    > a teranews advertising trailer which is currently gone. Without the
    > ad trailer, except for the admin problems, the $4 deal isn't so bad
    > for someone who doesn't need many binaries from them.
    >
    > free.teranews.com DNS 69.16.185.252 no rDNS
    >
    > OrgName: Highwinds Network Group, Inc.
    > NetRange: 69.16.128.0 - 69.16.191.255
    >
    > The newsserver also answers like a highwind newsserver.
    >
    > 200 (newsfe06.iad Welcome) (newsfe06.iad) (Tornado v1.2.3.534.1)

    Here's my 'problem' taken directly from the web page teranews.com;

    "And best of all, it's FREE*!!!"

    [No it's not.]

    "Yes, we are offering commercial quality Usenet news access absolutely
    FREE*."

    [No you aren't.]

    Then;

    "* Due to the overwhelming response to our free account offer and the costs
    associated with verifying credit card information we have begun charging a
    one time setup fee of $3.95. There are no recurring monthly fees with our
    50MB/day package."

    [Shift-8s or no Shift-8s. $3.95 is not "free".]

    walter, Jan 15, 2009
  9. Andy Petro

    tutsi Guest

    Yea i still connect to free tera.

    tutsi, Jan 24, 2009
  10. Andy Petro

    flock Guest

    What to name to connect free tera

    flock, Jan 24, 2009
  11. Andy Petro

    teranews

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    We have a free server (no monthly/small setup fee) that allows posting. We also have a public server that allows free read-only access for everyone without a user/pass. So yes, it is free.

    teranews, Feb 15, 2009
  12. Andy Petro

    teranews

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    The server names are on the website including the port numbers you can use.

    In short, free.teranews.com (if you have an account), or public.teranews.com (if you don't have a user/pass)

    teranews, Feb 15, 2009