    joevan Guest

    They never admit they are down when they are, but it seems they are
    down today. Anyone else notice the rejection and the 502 error.

    joevan, Dec 6, 2009

  2. joevan

    blacklight Guest

    On Dec 6, 4:46 pm, joevan <> wrote:
    > They never admit they are down when they are,  but it seems they are
    > down today. Anyone else notice the rejection and the 502 error.

    Yes having same problems since last two days, no response from emails
    either.
    Can get into act but thats it, no status on the web page.
    Are they out of business?
    So much for customer service however there won't be a next time

    blacklight, Dec 8, 2009

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 17:46:58 -0500, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >They never admit they are down when they are, but it seems they are
    >down today. Anyone else notice the rejection and the 502 error.

    Just a couple of days and they are back up.

    joevan, Dec 8, 2009
  4. joevan

    ericpd

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    Well here it is 1/20/10 and Teranews appears to be down again. This is the only thread I could find on the topic, so I'm posting here. Trying to get confirmation that they're done and gone home. I'm thinking I need to switch to another provider,... been looking at NewsDeamon, Binverse and ThunderNews in that order, as all of these include readers for their subcribers. Looks like NewsDeamon and ThunderNews are including NewRover as their reader and Binverse is offering a proprietary software reader. Sure would like to get some feedback from anyone using either of these. Unless I'm missing something, these seem to be about the best three out there.

    Thanks!

    ericpd, Jan 21, 2010
  5. joevan

    labcagev

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    I've been with teranews for many, many years. They spend little time dealing with us users (whiners) and precious time fixing problems with the servers. Over the years they have taken care of us. Often they'll let leeches like me blow past my download limit (65mb (free account)) to make up for the downtime. Have some patience and all will be well again.. I predict.

    While I was trying to login yesterday I kept trying their website too. I did eventually receive an email from them that stated someone from my ip tried to log in (me) and was unsuccessful, and the email included my credentials. That indicates to me things are still working behind the scenes; just not the news server at the moment!

    cheers.

    labcagev, Jan 21, 2010
  6. joevan

    ericpd

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    I dunno man,... I've also been with them a few years, certainly not many many, but enough to realize that Teranews isn't all that reliable. I've spent the better part of today either firing up reader checking to see if Teranews has decided to come out of it's sarcophagus or online searching for usenet alternatives. What I've found out is that Teranews is very much dated,... in price/value AND in services. Not too long ago, I signed up for Binverse's trail 30 day unlimited trial period. Comes with a pretty cool reader,... it also screams that my trusty XanaNews reader is also very dated. The world has been passing me by, while I've been drowning in brand loyalty. Made my choice based on reviews at NGR's (NewsGroup Review) website. Pretty helpful info there. I can't post a link yet, but I bet you guys know where it is.

    While Binverse will cost $19.83, that's just south of 5 bucks more than what I am (was) paying TeraNews ($14.95 unlimited). A deal if you ask me. I think may sign-up with NewsDemon as well. They have a special that according to their website, is to end this Friday,... $10.95 for their Unlimited Plus Plan (normally $22.99) for life. In addition to SSL, 365+ day binary retention, and the rest of the good stuff, it also comes NewsRover. I hear that NewsRover isn't very good, but it's free and prolly better than my dated XanaNews. I think I did read that it automatically handles RAR and PAR, as well as nzb. That's gotta be good. XanaNews chokes on 2 part jpgs sometimes. I'll complete the 30 day Binverse trial period, but unless I find something really special, I think I'll more than likely stick with NewsDemon,... that $10.95 sound awfully attractive.

    ericpd, Jan 21, 2010
  7. joevan

    jg70124

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    The news server has been down for me since 1/17. The web site has been down since at least 1/19. As of today (1/21/2010), their phone number (that shows up on my credit card statement) is disconnected.

    I would say that this time, they're gone for good.

    jg70124, Jan 21, 2010
  8. joevan

    ericpd

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    I'm inclined to agree with you. Guess I'll put the brakes on that auto pay from my side. Not sure I can trust them to halt their monthly attack on my card.

    So where are you going in life after Teranews? I subscribed to Binverse (trail) and NewsDemon. Did NewsDemon to make sure I didn't miss out on their $9.95 unlimited for life special. It's suppose to end tomorrow according to thier website. I have 29 days before the guys at Binverse attack my card.

    Having some problems getting my head around the Binverse client (reader). Work way different than most readers, and I'm so used to XanaNews. But unless NewsDemon turns out to be a dog, I won't have to worry about that, The Demon comes with a free client also,... NewsRover, although I read some not so good reviews on it. I'll prolly end up buying NewsBin Pro. That reader is getting very good reviews.

    ericpd, Jan 21, 2010
  9. joevan

    daguenet

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Teranews Down again

    January 22 2010

    I have tried both their number I found via whois and by credit card statement. The whois number is busy and the other disconnected. I have switched to Newshosting, they have a special going on now that if you pay for 2yrs at 189.60 you get their top of the line package. They have been good so far and keep binaries for up to 505 days.

    Well good luck to the teranew folks as I won't be doing business with them any more.

    Aaron

    daguenet, Jan 22, 2010
  10. joevan

    daguenet

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2010
    Messages:
    3

    I use Newsbin pro and find it very good. I'm trying to catch up with Newshosting.com and have over 160000 messages to download and it will probably only take a week or so. Most of these are binaries and are fairly big, that and my ISP only does 8Mbs so it takes a while to get 1.5T+ of data down. I checked out Binverse and it took them over 2 days to confirm my credit card. NewsDemon I have not tried.

    daguenet, Jan 22, 2010
  11. joevan

    daguenet

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Teranews is back up and working again. I just cancelled my account with them any ways. 3 days down is not worth the hassle to me and all I got was and automatic message telling me to check the username and password and things like that. Same thing I got then it did not work in mid December and then just started working again with now expelanation as to what was wrong.

    daguenet, Jan 22, 2010
  12. joevan

    ericpd

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    Well it seems as though Teranews is back up. Well at least their website, not sure of their servers as I've uninstalled XanaNews along with my TN account info. I used the opportunity to close the account. It's funny, when I closed the account, an alert popped up stating that the account will continue for another 3 days before shutting down. I wonder if that mean access for the next three days? I feel like loading their account info into NewsBin Pro, if for no other reason than to replace the 3 days of being down, which I know they charged us for. The last time this happened, they charged my card the normal $14.95, as if nothing happened. That down period was about 2-3 days as well as I remember.

    Binverse as a service seems to be pretty good. When I selected one of fav binary groups, it pulled up posts from to November 08,... knocked me out of my chair. I've never been exposed to that kinda retention before. I'm just having trouble syncing up with their included reader. I guess I'm just used to the old standard of seeing a newsgroup pane in the upper right, a thread pane in the upper right, and a pane along the entire bottom displaying what's in a particular post. The Binverse client is a stark departure from this theme. More efficient all the reviews are saying, but so foriegn to me.

    I'm about to DL the NewsBin Pro now. I'll prolly end up committing myself to it and sticking with NewsDemon. If I might ask,... what's the attractioin to Newshosting? When reading through NGR's reviews, they didn't give NewsHosting very good marks. Am I missing something?

    ericpd, Jan 22, 2010
  13. joevan

    labcagev

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    See?

    Cheers, folks..

    labcagev, Jan 24, 2010
  14. joevan

    ericpd

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    Only thing I see lab is a provider with a history of down time with little courtesy to send an email letting folks know what's going on. Of the many down times of 24 hours or more, I have yet to see a credit or some effort to pro-rate my charges. Besides, compared to the prices and specials available now, their pricing is sorta on the high side,... not quite the premium rates coming from companies like Gaganews, but certainly not competitive with the company they keep. $14.95 unlimited, with no SSL or included client, and no posting priveledges ain't exactly a good deal. Wouldn't you agree? Or are you the guy whose job it is to package their plans, sell their plans, and keep the servers up and running? To me, you sound like a Teranews owner,... or a rep of some sort at the very least.

    How many days between your post calling us whiners, and this post proclaiming "See?". How many subs did you guys lose during this down period? Was it more or less than what you lost during the previous one about 2-3 weeks ago? And how come this time when the servers went down, so did your phones and your website? I personally know of at least 22 people who left you for other providers,... and that's just in my small circle of friends and acquaintances.

    Good luck with your next venture! Hope it's not making automobiles,... our industry is just now beginning to come out of it's slumber. You guys are still in yours.

    ericpd, Jan 24, 2010
  15. joevan

    labcagev

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Well, I included myself when I said whiners. I meant instead of dealing with whining they would rather deal with the problem and fix it. Calling us names was not the intent.

    At the moment I still can't get a connection to their news server, so I'm still wondering what's going on.

    I am singing their praises because I can't complain about having a "free" account for so long, and thus I really can't complain when the server goes down. If I was paying ten bucks a month I would be upset with outages and might consider taking my business elsewhere as well.

    Cheers.

    labcagev, Jan 27, 2010