    - slow to respond when it is there....
    - sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    original posts. No error messages....

    steve, Jul 10, 2004

  2. steve

    Collector_NZ Guest

    steve said the following on 11/07/2004 10:34:
    > Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    > now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >
    > Problems:
    >
    > - missing posts (mine and others)
    > - can't contact server (a lot)
    > - slow to respond when it is there....
    > - sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    > original posts. No error messages....

    I have news.individual.net (free but reg required) loaded up and its
    good. retention (which seems tomatter to some) is not good but its fast

    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.

    Collector_NZ, Jul 11, 2004

  3. steve

    Chris Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of
    > weeks now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >
    > Problems:
    >
    > - missing posts (mine and others)
    > - can't contact server (a lot)
    > - slow to respond when it is there....
    > - sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any
    > of my original posts. No error messages....

    Yes, I have had all of those problems on both Orcon and Teranews. As far
    as which is worst, it seems to change from one to the other. Sometimes
    they are as bad as each other. Yours points 2 & 3 can be bad at times on
    Teranews.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 11, 2004
  4. steve

    paora Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:34:39 GMT, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    >now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >
    >Problems:
    >
    >- missing posts (mine and others)
    >- can't contact server (a lot)
    >- slow to respond when it is there....
    >- sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    >original posts. No error messages....

    Tried news.individual.net?

    Why I suggested it I don't know - it's not like I miss your 'I Luv
    Mike Moore' posts when/if they don't go thru. :)

    paora, Jul 11, 2004
  5. steve

    Mutley Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    >Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    >now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >
    >Problems:
    >
    >- missing posts (mine and others)
    >- can't contact server (a lot)
    >- slow to respond when it is there....
    >- sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    >original posts. No error messages....

    Try this one then.

    beta.teranews.com

    Just log in with your normal account #

    Mutley, Jul 11, 2004
  6. steve

    Mutley Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    >Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    >now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >
    >Problems:
    >
    >- missing posts (mine and others)
    >- can't contact server (a lot)
    >- slow to respond when it is there....
    >- sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    >original posts. No error messages....

    Just downloaded headers from some binary groups on both Tera and
    orcon.

    You must be joking??

    Orcon 1 part of a 40 part file. Good?? I don't think so..

    Tera 40 parts of a 40 part file.. much better.

    Mutley, Jul 11, 2004
  7. steve

    Sally M Guest

    steve <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    > now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >
    > Problems:
    >
    > - missing posts (mine and others)
    > - can't contact server (a lot)
    > - slow to respond when it is there....
    > - sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    > original posts. No error messages....

    Don't know about Orcon but Teranews has been pretty useless for a
    while now. Propagation has been sporadic at best for a month or more.
    Bubba is no better... I think they're essentially the same feed.

    The big bummer is that I've tried several pay servers that aren't a
    lot better for reliability. I'd hate to be paying for this kind of
    crappy service!

    Sally M, Jul 11, 2004
  8. In article <>, mutley2000
    @hotmail.com says...
    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    > >Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    > >now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    > >
    > >Problems:
    > >
    > >- missing posts (mine and others)
    > >- can't contact server (a lot)
    > >- slow to respond when it is there....
    > >- sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    > >original posts. No error messages....
    > >

    > Just downloaded headers from some binary groups on both Tera and
    > orcon.
    >
    > You must be joking??
    >
    > Orcon 1 part of a 40 part file. Good?? I don't think so..

    Fine for people who don't need binaries. What kind of warez come in 40
    parts?

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 11, 2004
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    paora wrote:

    > Tried news.individual.net?

    About to.

    > Why I suggested it I don't know - it's not like I miss your 'I Luv
    > Mike Moore' posts when/if they don't go thru. :)

    We're both part of the 'amazing diversity' that should be USENET.

    :)

    steve, Jul 11, 2004
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    Mutley wrote:

    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of
    >>weeks now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >>
    >>Problems:
    >>
    >>- missing posts (mine and others)
    >>- can't contact server (a lot)
    >>- slow to respond when it is there....
    >>- sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    >>original posts. No error messages....
    >>

    > Just downloaded headers from some binary groups on both Tera and
    > orcon.
    >
    > You must be joking??
    >
    > Orcon 1 part of a 40 part file. Good?? I don't think so..
    >
    > Tera 40 parts of a 40 part file.. much better.

    I don't use binary newsgroups. I used to.....like 9 years ago - but the web
    and p2p apps made access to binary materials of any sort much easier than
    via newsgroups.

    steve, Jul 11, 2004
  11. steve

    steve Guest

    Sally M wrote:

    > Don't know about Orcon but Teranews has been pretty useless for a
    > while now. Propagation has been sporadic at best for a month or more.
    > Bubba is no better... I think they're essentially the same feed.
    >
    > The big bummer is that I've tried several pay servers that aren't a
    > lot better for reliability. I'd hate to be paying for this kind of
    > crappy service!

    Thanks, Sally. I agree completely. :)

    I'll try news.individual.net as suggested by some.

    Orcon appear to have stopped carrying several newsgroups I follow...(like
    alt.politics) and haven't been responding to e-mails to the help desk
    asking what happened and why....

    Orcon's Help desk can be VERY good.....but they can also be very bad (like
    never respond at all).

    steve, Jul 11, 2004
  12. steve

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Mutley wrote:
    >
    > > steve <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of
    > >>weeks now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    > >>
    > >>Problems:
    > >>
    > >>- missing posts (mine and others)
    > >>- can't contact server (a lot)
    > >>- slow to respond when it is there....
    > >>- sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of

    my
    > >>original posts. No error messages....
    > >>

    > > Just downloaded headers from some binary groups on both Tera and
    > > orcon.
    > >
    > > You must be joking??
    > >
    > > Orcon 1 part of a 40 part file. Good?? I don't think so..
    > >
    > > Tera 40 parts of a 40 part file.. much better.

    > I don't use binary newsgroups. I used to.....like 9 years ago - but the

    web
    > and p2p apps made access to binary materials of any sort much easier than
    > via newsgroups.

    LOL, P2P is sooooooo last week!

    P2P is history, the smart people have an alternate avenue.

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Jul 11, 2004
  13. steve

    steve Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > LOL, P2P is sooooooo last week!
    >
    > P2P is history, the smart people have an alternate avenue.

    I use what works...and let the followers of fashion knock themselves out.

    steve, Jul 11, 2004
  14. On 10 Jul 2004 19:58:49 -0700, (Sally M) wrote:

    >steve <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    >> now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >>
    >> Problems:
    >>
    >> - missing posts (mine and others)
    >> - can't contact server (a lot)
    >> - slow to respond when it is there....
    >> - sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    >> original posts. No error messages....

    >Don't know about Orcon but Teranews has been pretty useless for a
    >while now. Propagation has been sporadic at best for a month or more.
    >Bubba is no better... I think they're essentially the same feed.
    >
    >The big bummer is that I've tried several pay servers that aren't a
    >lot better for reliability. I'd hate to be paying for this kind of
    >crappy service!

    What pay servers have you tried? There are a lot of crappy ones out
    there, but there are some very good ones too. The good ones, however,
    are not so cheap.

    For a so called "premium" news service (really good, but relatively
    expensive), try:

    http://www.easynews,com
    http://www.giganews.com

    These links are for comparisons of various news services:

    http://www.newsgroupservers.net
    http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/providers
    http://www.newsreaders.com/newsfeeds/index.html

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 11, 2004

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 11, 2004
  16. Stephen,

    Please remove Teranews from your servers posting configuration, or if
    you don't run it e-mail the admin and tell them to. Teranews rewrite
    message IDs resulting in duplicate messages.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 11, 2004
  17. steve

    Sally M Guest

    Stephen Worthington <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 10 Jul 2004 19:58:49 -0700, (Sally M) wrote:
    >
    > >steve <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >> Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    > >> now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    > >>
    > >> Problems:
    > >>
    > >> - missing posts (mine and others)
    > >> - can't contact server (a lot)
    > >> - slow to respond when it is there....
    > >> - sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    > >> original posts. No error messages....

    > >Don't know about Orcon but Teranews has been pretty useless for a
    > >while now. Propagation has been sporadic at best for a month or more.
    > >Bubba is no better... I think they're essentially the same feed.
    > >
    > >The big bummer is that I've tried several pay servers that aren't a
    > >lot better for reliability. I'd hate to be paying for this kind of
    > >crappy service!

    > What pay servers have you tried? There are a lot of crappy ones out
    > there, but there are some very good ones too. The good ones, however,
    > are not so cheap.
    >
    > For a so called "premium" news service (really good, but relatively
    > expensive), try:
    >
    > http://www.easynews,com
    > http://www.giganews.com
    >
    > These links are for comparisons of various news services:
    >
    > http://www.newsgroupservers.net
    > http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/providers
    > http://www.newsreaders.com/newsfeeds/index.html

    Over the years I've used a number of different pay servers. I never
    did run into one that was reliable and almost all had a real attitude
    if you complained about the service being down/slow or not
    propagating. Of the ones I tried I think SUPERNEWS was the worst for a
    high and mighty attitude but I ran into troubles with THENEWSGROUPS
    and USENET-ACCESS as well. Admittedly not the highest priced servers
    but still… for a pay service I found them all to be very unreliable.
    When your server won't propagate for more than a week at a time and
    refuses to do anything about it (other than send a form letter saying
    they're looking at the problem) it's time to cancel. TERANEWS and
    BUBBANEWS are both unreliable too but no worse than the ones I
    mentioned.

    What really bothered me is that the services weren't being used for
    binary images, spamming, cross-posting or anything more complicated
    than simple text discussions. It's very upsetting when all of the
    sudden you can't reply to a particularly irritating piece of
    misinformation because you're pay server isn't bothering to provide
    the most basic service.

    Sally M, Jul 11, 2004
  18. steve

    Mutlley Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote:

    >In article <>, mutley2000
    >@hotmail.com says...
    >> steve <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    >> >now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >> >
    >> >Problems:
    >> >
    >> >- missing posts (mine and others)
    >> >- can't contact server (a lot)
    >> >- slow to respond when it is there....
    >> >- sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    >> >original posts. No error messages....
    >> >

    >> Just downloaded headers from some binary groups on both Tera and
    >> orcon.
    >>
    >> You must be joking??
    >>
    >> Orcon 1 part of a 40 part file. Good?? I don't think so..

    >Fine for people who don't need binaries. What kind of warez come in 40
    >parts?

    Small ones. TV Programs..

    Mutlley, Jul 11, 2004
  19. steve

    Mutlley Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    >Mutley wrote:
    >
    >> steve <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of
    >>>weeks now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >>>
    >>>Problems:
    >>>
    >>>- missing posts (mine and others)
    >>>- can't contact server (a lot)
    >>>- slow to respond when it is there....
    >>>- sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    >>>original posts. No error messages....
    >>>

    >> Just downloaded headers from some binary groups on both Tera and
    >> orcon.
    >>
    >> You must be joking??
    >>
    >> Orcon 1 part of a 40 part file. Good?? I don't think so..
    >>
    >> Tera 40 parts of a 40 part file.. much better.

    >I don't use binary newsgroups. I used to.....like 9 years ago - but the web
    >and p2p apps made access to binary materials of any sort much easier than
    >via newsgroups.

    The problem that I have found with limited trying of P2P is the
    bandwidth over head. Take Bittorrent as an example. For every 1 Gig
    you down load you seem to use 3 Gig of bandwidth. I basically stick
    with news groups because of this reason..

    Mutlley, Jul 11, 2004
  20. steve

    Mutlley Guest

    Stephen Worthington <> wrote:

    >On 10 Jul 2004 19:58:49 -0700, (Sally M) wrote:
    >
    >>steve <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>> Well....I've tried teranews.com's usenet news service for a couple of weeks
    >>> now....and generally Teranews make orcon look good.
    >>>
    >>> Problems:
    >>>
    >>> - missing posts (mine and others)
    >>> - can't contact server (a lot)
    >>> - slow to respond when it is there....
    >>> - sometimes I can respond to existing threads, but it won't show any of my
    >>> original posts. No error messages....

    >>Don't know about Orcon but Teranews has been pretty useless for a
    >>while now. Propagation has been sporadic at best for a month or more.
    >>Bubba is no better... I think they're essentially the same feed.
    >>
    >>The big bummer is that I've tried several pay servers that aren't a
    >>lot better for reliability. I'd hate to be paying for this kind of
    >>crappy service!

    >What pay servers have you tried? There are a lot of crappy ones out
    >there, but there are some very good ones too. The good ones, however,
    >are not so cheap.
    >
    >For a so called "premium" news service (really good, but relatively
    >expensive), try:
    >
    > http://www.easynews,com
    > http://www.giganews.com
    >
    >These links are for comparisons of various news services:
    >
    > http://www.newsgroupservers.net
    > http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/providers
    > http://www.newsreaders.com/newsfeeds/index.html

    www.octanews.com is the main one that I use as a pay server for every