    I can with my 1 server and 1 laptop...

    thanks

    -dev...
    Dev Lunsford, Sep 8, 2003

  2. "Dev Lunsford" <> wrote in message
    news:bGW6b.12827$...
    > Hi, how do people on the group feel about people like me who want to be
    > (eventually) MCSEs but who are starting from no (commercial) experience?

    > read a lot in my spare time and am very keen to learn the skills and get
    > certified (no brain dumps, I actually want to be good at the job), but I
    > don't have the solid experience of working in the field (I'm having no

    luck
    > with jobs and am hoping the qualification will help a little - not a magic
    > answer but at least something to set me above some of the guys who at the
    > moment are stealing jobs from me, probably without MCPs).
    >
    > Anyway, do you guys consider this a 'paper' MCP or not? I guess I just
    > don't want to be just some wannabe. I'm going to study and practise as

    best
    > I can with my 1 server and 1 laptop...
    >
    > thanks

    One word: Volunteer

    --
    Fris "And not the Tennessee kind" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    Frisbee® MCNGP, Sep 8, 2003

  3. "Dev Lunsford" <> wrote in message
    > > One word: Volunteer

    > I could take this 2 ways ;-)
    >
    > 1) by all means take the test but you'll never get a job so you might as
    > well... volunteer
    > 2) gain experience by volunteering, looks good on your resume and

    employers
    > will love you (within reason)
    >
    > Thanks. At least I don't feel so much like a loser now...

    More the second. You can find a job without experience... you can also win
    the lottery.

    Also volunteering can open doors for you as well. A different kind of
    "networking"

    --
    Fris "And I ain't talking AMWAY" bee® MCNGP #13

    Frisbee® MCNGP, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Dev Lunsford

    Rick Guest

    If you are going to work hard and complete the MCSA/MCSE in the next couple
    of months go with the 2000 track. Most of this industry is still on 2000
    there is even still NT 4 networks out there. You will not see a large move
    to 2003 for probably another year to two, this is a guess though. I am on
    the 2000 track and plan on taking the 2 addition test to upgrade to 2003.
    This means I will take 10 test and earn the following Certifications. MCSA,
    MCSA security, MCSE security, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003.

    but is not required to take the test. However if you are going to be
    successful at the test you need to get a couple of PC's and setup a lab at
    your house. By practicing in a lab environment you will vastly improve your
    knowledge and increase your chances of passing the test. All of the
    Microsoft study guides come with a 180 day trial copy of the software which
    is covered in the text so use it to you advantage.

    In consideration that you have no experience you may want to look in to the
    CompTIA A+ and Network + certifications. These two certifications will lay
    the ground work so that you can become a help desk employee. In addition
    you can use the combination of these two as one elective for the MCSA
    certification.

    Most of the above has been covered in this news group a number of times. You
    may want to check how many host headers you are downloading at once. Since I
    have high speed internet I simply download all headers. By downloading all
    the headers you will be able to search for relevant post prior to asking the
    question. You may even be able to find the answer immediately and not have
    to wait for a reply from someone.

    Rick
    Rick, Sep 8, 2003
  5. Dev Lunsford

    Dev Lunsford Guest

    Thanks for all your help. I should have searched, sorry, I'm pretty new to
    newsgroups (strangely, in this line of business - but nevertheless true, and
    not just because I'm a dork) and I forget to search in my eagerness to get a
    personal answer, but I know it's disrespectful of people's time, and I will
    search in future. Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

    I'm thinking of doing the A+ if not the Net+ exams too, like you said - with
    the 'savings' from not taking expensive training courses I could take an MCP
    and the compTIA exams, then hopefully a company might help me take the
    rest - or a job will at least pay for the rest. It's good to hear I'm
    thinking in the right lines.

    I'm looking at probably one exam a month starting now - max. I'm pretty
    busy and also need to save for each exam as I do it. Thanks for all the
    advice, it's really helped me feel better about this. I really thought I'd
    get told I would certainly fail without training. Now at least I feel like
    I might not fail if I work hard - at least not more than once... Anyway
    that means I won't reach MCSA until at least February or March,
    realistically. Since the 2003 track lets you use Win2kPro as the client
    exam I figure I'm safe to do that and then A+ and see what happens.

    -dev...

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > If you are going to work hard and complete the MCSA/MCSE in the next

    couple
    > of months go with the 2000 track. Most of this industry is still on 2000
    > there is even still NT 4 networks out there. You will not see a large move
    > to 2003 for probably another year to two, this is a guess though. I am on
    > the 2000 track and plan on taking the 2 addition test to upgrade to 2003.
    > This means I will take 10 test and earn the following Certifications.

    MCSA,
    > MCSA security, MCSE security, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003.

    job

    Dev Lunsford, Sep 8, 2003
  6. Dev Lunsford

    SteveC Guest

    Good advice from Fris about volunteering, but thats ok if you have that
    luxury. If you have a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed, you're not gonna
    wanna be working for free!

    Steve.
    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > Dev,
    > Do not take any offense to the search comment, it was ment to help you

    avoid
    > the pain of being flamed. However it certainly looks like the flaming has
    > calmed down.
    >
    > If you go with the 2000 Track I would not worry about time as the cert

    will
    > be around for some time. If it was me with a projected date of February I
    > would still go 2000 and upgrade. Remeber you will be a valuable asset to a
    > company that already has either 2000 or 2003 if you go the upgrade path.
    > Since 2000 is different than 2003 some companies using 2000 may not

    consider
    > you a good canidate if you only have the 2003 cetification.
    >
    > I do want to stress again once you go beyond test 70-210 you need to look

    at
    > setting up a lab. Without practicing in a lab enviroment you are not going
    > to learn some of the aspects that are required by the test.
    >
    > I would also recommend that if you can afford it look into some testing
    > software. There are several companies that make practice test such as
    > transcender and measure up. I have used the measure up and like them. The
    > practice mode allows you to reveal the answer and the location which you

    can
    > research the answer. It will tell you if the answer came from technet, the
    > resource kit for the product, Self paced training, or the Microsoft

    Offecial
    > Course.
    >
    > You also need to learn to use Microsoft resources such as the Knowledge

    base
    > on the MS web site. Being certified does not mean you know all the

    answers.
    > However in getting certified you should learn where to look for the

    answers.

    SteveC, Sep 9, 2003
  7. "SteveC" <> wrote in message
    > Good advice from Fris about volunteering, but thats ok if you have that
    > luxury. If you have a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed, you're not gonna
    > wanna be working for free!

    You don't have to do volunteer work full-time. You do full time whatever
    you have to do to provide for your family. You carve out some hours, even
    if on weekends, and volunteer to do work at schools or libraries. Any
    experience helps.

    --
    Fris "The toughest job you'll ever love" bee® MCNGP #13

    Frisbee® MCNGP, Sep 9, 2003
  8. Dev Lunsford

    Dev Lunsford Guest

    At the risk of over-enthusiasm, "You guys rock!!!!!!!"

    Thanks for your ideas. I've been putting out the feelers in schools
    recently, so good to get confirmation of a good plan. I'm gonna make it...
    you will see my name in lights...

    -dev...
    Dev Lunsford, Sep 9, 2003
  9. "Dev Lunsford" <> wrote in message
    > At the risk of over-enthusiasm, "You guys rock!!!!!!!"
    >
    > Thanks for your ideas. I've been putting out the feelers in schools
    > recently, so good to get confirmation of a good plan. I'm gonna make

    it...
    > you will see my name in lights...

    Good luck, Dev. Maybe you're looking to get into the wrong area of IT,
    though. With a name like yours, you should be a software DEVeloper.

    --
    Fris "or is Dev short for Deviant?" bee® MCNGP #13

    Frisbee® MCNGP, Sep 9, 2003