Ten years of digital photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gary Edstrom, May 11, 2009.

  1. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    May 18th will mark 10 years since I took my first digital picture with
    my first digital camera: A Kodak DC-265

    At only 1.5MP, it was definitely no match for a 35mm camera, but it was
    a start and I had a lot of fun with it.

    For some reason, I only saved 19 of the first 100 pictures I took. I
    saved 84 of the second 100 pictures. Since then, I have saved every
    single picture I have ever taken. I keep off-site backups of
    everything.

    Here is a summary of all of the pictures I have taken with my various
    digital cameras.

    Kodak DC-265: 5,117 (1.5MP)
    Olympus E-10: 17,744 (4 MP)
    Canon 20D: 12,772 (8 MP)
    Canon SD550: 5,091 (7.1 MP) (My current P&S camera)
    Canon 50D: 1,052 (14.4 MP) (My current DSLR camera)

    Total: 41,776

    For comparison, in all the 27 years I used my 35mm film camera starting
    in 1974, I only took a total of 2,859 pictures. That's 14.6 times as
    many pictures in a little over a third as much time.

    Sure, they are not all masterpieces. That was not the point. My
    primary idea is to create memories. I was always disappointed that my
    father had so few pictures of the back woods cabin he grew up in in
    Michigan. He only had 4 B&W pictures that all showed the cabin from the
    same general view from about 1920. I was determined that the same was
    not going to happen with my mother's house that she lived in for 40
    years before she died. Over the years, I have taken over 1,800 images
    inside and out from every view conceivable. I also shot a number of
    close ups of a number of objects in the house. I also photographed the
    neighborhood in detail. Sure, I may have gone overboard, but I don't
    think that anyone in the future will say that they wished they had more
    pictures of the place.

    I wonder how many images I will have in another 10 years?

    Gary

    Gary Edstrom, May 11, 2009

  2. Gary Edstrom

    Morton Guest

    Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > May 18th will mark 10 years since I took my first digital picture with
    > my first digital camera: A Kodak DC-265
    >
    > At only 1.5MP, it was definitely no match for a 35mm camera, but it was
    > a start and I had a lot of fun with it.
    >
    > For some reason, I only saved 19 of the first 100 pictures I took. I
    > saved 84 of the second 100 pictures. Since then, I have saved every
    > single picture I have ever taken. I keep off-site backups of
    > everything.
    >
    > Here is a summary of all of the pictures I have taken with my various
    > digital cameras.
    >
    > Kodak DC-265: 5,117 (1.5MP)
    > Olympus E-10: 17,744 (4 MP)
    > Canon 20D: 12,772 (8 MP)
    > Canon SD550: 5,091 (7.1 MP) (My current P&S camera)
    > Canon 50D: 1,052 (14.4 MP) (My current DSLR camera)
    >
    > Total: 41,776
    >
    > For comparison, in all the 27 years I used my 35mm film camera starting
    > in 1974, I only took a total of 2,859 pictures. That's 14.6 times as
    > many pictures in a little over a third as much time.
    >
    > Sure, they are not all masterpieces. That was not the point. My
    > primary idea is to create memories. I was always disappointed that my
    > father had so few pictures of the back woods cabin he grew up in in
    > Michigan. He only had 4 B&W pictures that all showed the cabin from the
    > same general view from about 1920. I was determined that the same was
    > not going to happen with my mother's house that she lived in for 40
    > years before she died. Over the years, I have taken over 1,800 images
    > inside and out from every view conceivable. I also shot a number of
    > close ups of a number of objects in the house. I also photographed the
    > neighborhood in detail. Sure, I may have gone overboard, but I don't
    > think that anyone in the future will say that they wished they had more
    > pictures of the place.
    >
    > I wonder how many images I will have in another 10 years?
    >
    > Gary

    Hi,

    I just found a trove of 40-50 year old pix in my basement, and what
    wonderful memories they brought to mind. I'm so glad that they were
    taken. Similarly, there are many paintings in The Netherlands which are
    quite accurate in detail, and reveal what life was like several hundred
    years ago. Even specific foods can be identified. Enjoy your hobby, and
    keep up the good work.

    Regards,

    Morton

    Morton, May 12, 2009

  3. Gary Edstrom

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Gary Edstrom" <> wrote

    > For comparison, in all the 27 years I used my 35mm film camera starting
    > in 1974, I only took a total of 2,859 pictures. That's 14.6 times as
    > many pictures in a little over a third as much time.

    This current generation will be the first fully documented one in history.
    I'm talking here of the ordinary person in the street - there are plenty of
    archived shots of wealthy people going back to the dawn of photography, they
    could afford it.

    Thanks to my brother back in England, I now have about 30 pictures of him
    and/or me when we were small fry scanned and saved on my computer. Compare
    that to what most families have of their children now!

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, May 12, 2009
  4. Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > May 18th will mark 10 years since I took my first digital picture with
    > my first digital camera: A Kodak DC-265
    >
    > At only 1.5MP, it was definitely no match for a 35mm camera, but it
    > was a start and I had a lot of fun with it.

    []
    > Gary

    I celebrated last year, Gary. My first was with the swivel-bodied Nikon
    Coolpix 900 (which I still have) - 1.23Mpix - taken on 8 July 1998. I had
    used other digitals before then, but they didn't have more than 1Mpix
    resolution, and I considered them toys. You don't want to know the price
    of the 30MB CF cards I used probably $100 each.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 12, 2009
  5. Gary Edstrom

    mcescher Guest

    On May 11, 5:21 pm, Gary Edstrom <> wrote:
    > May 18th will mark 10 years since I took my first digital picture with
    > my first digital camera: A Kodak DC-265
    >
    > At only 1.5MP, it was definitely no match for a 35mm camera, but it was
    > a start and I had a lot of fun with it.
    >
    > For some reason, I only saved 19 of the first 100 pictures I took.  I
    > saved 84 of the second 100 pictures.  Since then, I have saved every
    > single picture I have ever taken.  I keep off-site backups of
    > everything.
    >
    > Here is a summary of all of the pictures I have taken with my various
    > digital cameras.
    >
    > Kodak DC-265:    5,117 (1.5MP)
    > Olympus E-10:   17,744 (4 MP)
    > Canon 20D:      12,772 (8 MP)
    > Canon SD550:     5,091 (7.1 MP)  (My current P&S camera)
    > Canon 50D:       1,052 (14.4 MP) (My current DSLR camera)
    >
    > Total:          41,776
    >
    > For comparison, in all the 27 years I used my 35mm film camera starting
    > in 1974, I only took a total of 2,859 pictures.  That's 14.6 times as
    > many pictures in a little over a third as much time.
    >
    > Sure, they are not all masterpieces.  That was not the point.  My
    > primary idea is to create memories.  I was always disappointed that my
    > father had so few pictures of the back woods cabin he grew up in in
    > Michigan.  He only had 4 B&W pictures that all showed the cabin from the
    > same general view from about 1920.  I was determined that the same was
    > not going to happen with my mother's house that she lived in for 40
    > years before she died.  Over the years, I have taken over 1,800 images
    > inside and out from every view conceivable.  I also shot a number of
    > close ups of a number of objects in the house.  I also photographed the
    > neighborhood in detail.  Sure, I may have gone overboard, but I don't
    > think that anyone in the future will say that they wished they had more
    > pictures of the place.
    >
    > I wonder how many images I will have in another 10 years?
    >
    > Gary

    I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm at 9 years, and my
    first camera was 640x480. What is that, like 0.8 MP, hehehe. Cell
    phones are well past that now! I did see an article on TV about a
    year ago that said we're losing some of our history because it is so
    easy to delete the "bad ones".

    Thanks for the good memories,
    Chris M.

    mcescher, May 12, 2009
  6. Gary Edstrom

    Paul Furman Guest

    Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > May 18th will mark 10 years since I took my first digital picture with
    > my first digital camera: A Kodak DC-265
    > I wonder how many images I will have in another 10 years?

    The year 2000 for me with an Oly 3MP P&S for $800.
    So far in 2009 I've got 2,600 jpegs (keepers) so that'll be about
    6,000/year which would be 60,000 in 10 years.

    Here's since I started posting on flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/archives/
    At first I only posted a few select shots, now I post almost everything.
    That only shows 729 this year so about 30% of the 6,000/year estimated
    above, so 20,000 pics in 10 years. I haven't deleted much though, the
    'seconds' folders are at least as many, often much more than keepers.

    > Here is a summary of all of the pictures I have taken with my various
    > digital cameras.
    > Total: 41,776
    >
    > For comparison, in all the 27 years I used my 35mm film camera starting
    > in 1974, I only took a total of 2,859 pictures. That's 14.6 times as
    > many pictures in a little over a third as much time.

    Heh, no way I have a count on that. One full plastic storage bin full of
    drug store prints, mostly uninteresting hobby distractions, a fat binder
    of nice mostly travel slides in archival plastic sleeves in that box and
    another less full box of hobby/art super-8 movies. I don't have a single
    photo left from my childhood Polaroid SX-70 :-( My mother did keep a
    nice large box of family photos though and I scanned (roughly) a couple
    hundred of my faves from that several years ago. Dad was a
    photojournalist before my time, and mom, a commercial artist, so lots &
    lots of photos, many good captures too. I've been neglectful about
    personal photos but am more aware of their value after digging through
    the old family photo box.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, May 17, 2009
  7. Gary Edstrom

    John Turco Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > > May 18th will mark 10 years since I took my first digital picture with
    > > my first digital camera: A Kodak DC-265
    > >
    > > At only 1.5MP, it was definitely no match for a 35mm camera, but it
    > > was a start and I had a lot of fun with it.

    > []
    > > Gary

    > I celebrated last year, Gary. My first was with the swivel-bodied Nikon
    > Coolpix 900 (which I still have) - 1.23Mpix - taken on 8 July 1998. I had
    > used other digitals before then, but they didn't have more than 1Mpix
    > resolution, and I considered them toys. You don't want to know the price
    > of the 30MB CF cards I used probably $100 each.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Hello, David:

    I ordered my original digicam, in December of 2000, and snapped my first
    pictures with it, on January 6, 2001. It was a lowly Largan "Lmini 350"
    that "featured" a mere 350,000 pixels of resolution, and even lacked an
    LCD viewfinder!

    Since then, I've added about ten more "point and shoot" cameras and a
    DSLR (Pentax K100D)...not to mention, a few tiny "key cams."

    Altogether, I've taken around 17,000 photos, but have only printed a
    relative handful. My prime enjoyment comes from seeing them, on my PC
    monitor.

    Thus, I'm appraoching eight and a half years of digital photography.
    It's far easier and much cheaper than film ever was, and has enabled
    me to make this decade the best "chronicled" one in my lifetime.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 1, 2009
  8. Gary Edstrom

    MaryL Guest

    "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >> Gary Edstrom wrote:
    >> > May 18th will mark 10 years since I took my first digital picture with
    >> > my first digital camera: A Kodak DC-265
    >> >
    >> > At only 1.5MP, it was definitely no match for a 35mm camera, but it
    >> > was a start and I had a lot of fun with it.

    >> []
    >> > Gary

    >> I celebrated last year, Gary. My first was with the swivel-bodied Nikon
    >> Coolpix 900 (which I still have) - 1.23Mpix - taken on 8 July 1998. I
    >> had
    >> used other digitals before then, but they didn't have more than 1Mpix
    >> resolution, and I considered them toys. You don't want to know the price
    >> of the 30MB CF cards I used probably $100 each.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > Hello, David:
    >
    > I ordered my original digicam, in December of 2000, and snapped my first
    > pictures with it, on January 6, 2001. It was a lowly Largan "Lmini 350"
    > that "featured" a mere 350,000 pixels of resolution, and even lacked an
    > LCD viewfinder!
    >
    > Since then, I've added about ten more "point and shoot" cameras and a
    > DSLR (Pentax K100D)...not to mention, a few tiny "key cams."
    >
    > Altogether, I've taken around 17,000 photos, but have only printed a
    > relative handful. My prime enjoyment comes from seeing them, on my PC
    > monitor.
    >
    > Thus, I'm appraoching eight and a half years of digital photography.
    > It's far easier and much cheaper than film ever was, and has enabled
    > me to make this decade the best "chronicled" one in my lifetime.
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    My first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix 880 (3.34 Mpix), purchased for a
    trip to Alaska. My most recent ones are a Nikon D80 and a Nikon P80 (the
    P80 is very small and is used when it isn't practical to carry the weight of
    the D80 and its lenses, or even one lens).

    Like you, I have thousands of photos but only print a few. I look at a lot
    of them that I have categorized on my PC.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jun 1, 2009
  9. Gary Edstrom

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Gary Edstrom
    <> writes
    >May 18th will mark 10 years since I took my first digital picture with
    >my first digital camera: A Kodak DC-265
    >
    >At only 1.5MP, it was definitely no match for a 35mm camera, but it was
    >a start and I had a lot of fun with it.

    That got me thinking too

    I had a small Fuji that did 800*600 late 1990's
    Kodak DC120 that had a whole MEGA PIXEL (wow! :) about 2000
    Fuji S7000 Zoom 6Mp (about 2002)
    Nikon D70s 6Mp(2005)
    Nikon D300 12Mp (2008)

    Like others I took fewer 35mm pictures partly because of cost. I have
    taken a lot more with the digital cameras in a much shorter time.

    I don't think, as some suggest the quality of the pictures has gone down
    with quantity, in fact the opposite. I take more and can experiment more
    so I understand the camera better. Also I carry the camera more often
    and can now afford to take more pictures.

    After I moved to the Fuji S7000 and could get reasonable quality
    pictures and I could get good results without a dark room my [digital]
    photography took off again. I don't think I have used a film camera
    since about 2001.

    The lack of a dark room was a major problem for doing much with (35mm)
    photography. Now I can take photos and process them in the "dark room"
    on a laptop over a coffee anywhere I like. This has also meant it is
    easier to do more.

    SO I got back in to photography with the Fuji S7000 (the Kodak was used
    for photos for a web site for my sons team when 19200 dial up was the
    way we connected to the Internet and WWW was still relatively new )

    From the Fuji S7000 the Nikon D70S was where things really got going. I
    had been shooting RAW on the Fuji but the Nikon was a proper SLR system
    and I could change lenses.... Due to a good year in 2008 I grabbed a
    D300 and that will be it for a long while

    The D300 can do more than I ever could with a 35mm camera and the D70 is
    a good backup. A G4 Powerbook and a G5 with Photo shop give me far more
    creativity than I will ever need this side of heaven. I see no need to
    go for an FX or more than 12Mp I will rarely, if ever, want an image
    larger than A3. SO I think I am sorted.

    I think most people will now start to keep DSLR's in the same way they
    carried the same 35mm for years.

    Chris H, Jun 1, 2009
  10. Gary Edstrom

    John Turco Guest

    MaryL wrote:

    > "John Turco" <> wrote in message

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > > I ordered my original digicam, in December of 2000, and snapped my first
    > > pictures with it, on January 6, 2001. It was a lowly Largan "Lmini 350"
    > > that "featured" a mere 350,000 pixels of resolution, and even lacked an
    > > LCD viewfinder!
    > >
    > > Since then, I've added about ten more "point and shoot" cameras and a
    > > DSLR (Pentax K100D)...not to mention, a few tiny "key cams."
    > >
    > > Altogether, I've taken around 17,000 photos, but have only printed a
    > > relative handful. My prime enjoyment comes from seeing them, on my PC
    > > monitor.
    > >
    > > Thus, I'm appraoching eight and a half years of digital photography.
    > > It's far easier and much cheaper than film ever was, and has enabled
    > > me to make this decade the best "chronicled" one in my lifetime.

    <edited>

    > My first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix 880 (3.34 Mpix), purchased for a
    > trip to Alaska. My most recent ones are a Nikon D80 and a Nikon P80 (the
    > P80 is very small and is used when it isn't practical to carry the weight of
    > the D80 and its lenses, or even one lens).
    >
    > Like you, I have thousands of photos but only print a few. I look at a lot
    > of them that I have categorized on my PC.
    >
    > MaryL

    Hello, Mary:

    My initial upgrade (from the Lmini 350) was a Kodak DC3200, obtained in
    February, 2002. This 1-megapixel puppy proved to be a large improvement
    over the Largan, where overall image quality was concerned. (Colors were
    far more vivid and accurate, with the Kodak, for instance.)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 4, 2009
  11. Gary Edstrom

    John Turco Guest

    Chris H wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > After I moved to the Fuji S7000 and could get reasonable quality
    > pictures and I could get good results without a dark room my [digital]
    > photography took off again. I don't think I have used a film camera
    > since about 2001.

    <edited>

    Hello, Chris:

    I must have taken more that a thousand photos, in the eighties...with the vast
    majority of those, coming between 1984-'86.

    Alas, I shot my last film, way back in March of 2003, and it was a crummy 110
    cartridge, at that. My previous picture-snapping "spree" occurred during 1990,
    when I'd used a few rolls of 35mm.

    As a result, the decade of the nineties was my least "documented" one. Digital
    has allowed me to reverse this trend, in the new millennium.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 4, 2009