Ten products we wish Microsoft would deliver... (not for the humour impaired)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Max Burke

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:44:37 +1300, "Max Burke" <>
    wrote:

    >From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's our
    >dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post yours at the
    >end of this article!)
    >http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=807

    Hmmm.

    Roger Clifford, a network admin in Alaska, says Microsoft could create
    an OS "that boots in 10 seconds and never slows down or freezes" if
    not for "useless features that slow down the OS, crash the machine and
    create unnecessary security holes." Contributing Writer and Network
    Manager Laura E. Hunter (see p. 43) wants a server OS stripped of its
    GUI, browser and "all the other pretty things" that belong only on
    clients. Redmond Executive Editor of Reviews Lafe Low says you should
    be able to start with the basics and build by adding modules "that all
    work and integrate seamlessly, with zero hassles."

    Sounds a bit like Linux, doesn't it?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Max Burke

    Chris Hope Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's our
    > dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post yours at the
    > end of this article!)
    > http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=807

    "4. Outlook for Idiots
    Ever send an e-mail pointing to insightful ponderings in an attached
    document-only to forget to attach the document? I've done it 642 times as
    of noon today. Wouldn't it be nice if Outlook scanned outgoing messages for
    a predefined keyword-something crazy like "attach"-and slapped you upside
    the head when the word cropped up in a message with no attachment? Yes, it
    would."

    KMail does this. It's really useful and would be good if all email clients
    did it.

    Chris Hope, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Max Burke

    MarkH Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote in

    > Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's
    >> our dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post
    >> yours at the end of this article!)
    >> http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=807
    >>

    > "4. Outlook for Idiots
    > Ever send an e-mail pointing to insightful ponderings in an attached
    > document-only to forget to attach the document? I've done it 642 times
    > as of noon today. Wouldn't it be nice if Outlook scanned outgoing
    > messages for a predefined keyword-something crazy like "attach"-and
    > slapped you upside the head when the word cropped up in a message with
    > no attachment? Yes, it would."
    >
    > KMail does this. It's really useful and would be good if all email
    > clients did it.

    No, it wouldn't be at all useful. I wouldn't get to call people idiots for
    sending the e-mail without the attachment. :)

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Max Burke

    Alden Bates Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote:

    >"4. Outlook for Idiots
    >Ever send an e-mail pointing to insightful ponderings in an attached
    >document-only to forget to attach the document? I've done it 642 times as
    >of noon today. Wouldn't it be nice if Outlook scanned outgoing messages for
    >a predefined keyword-something crazy like "attach"-and slapped you upside
    >the head when the word cropped up in a message with no attachment? Yes, it
    >would."
    >
    >KMail does this. It's really useful and would be good if all email clients
    >did it.

    Pegasus mail deos that too.

    Oddly enough, it always seems to go off when I *don't* need it, yet
    when I do forget... :)

    Alden
    --
    http://www.tetrap.com
    Alden Bates, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Max Burke

    Bob McLellan Guest

    Re: Ten products we wish Microsoft would deliver... (not for thehumour impaired)

    Sounds a bit like OS/2.

    Bob McLellan, Oct 6, 2004
  7. It seems like Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:49:37 +1300 was when Enkidu
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Sounds a bit like Linux, doesn't it?

    Can I create my own law/maxim? See definition below.

    Kenning's Maxim:

    When any thread in nz.comp starts with discussion about a Microsoft
    operating system feature or problem, the probability that someone
    recommends installing Linux or Linux doesn't have that problem
    approaches 1.

    So what'd you think, need some tweaking?:)

    BTW Cliff, did you receive my email?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 6, 2004
  8. Max Burke

    theseus Guest

    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    > It seems like Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:49:37 +1300 was when Enkidu
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >>Sounds a bit like Linux, doesn't it?

    > Can I create my own law/maxim? See definition below.
    >
    > Kenning's Maxim:
    >
    > When any thread in nz.comp starts with discussion about a Microsoft
    > operating system feature or problem, the probability that someone
    > recommends installing Linux or Linux doesn't have that problem
    > approaches 1.
    >
    > So what'd you think, need some tweaking?:)

    I think you are hunour impaired
    theseus, Oct 6, 2004
  9. It seems like Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:54:22 +1300 was when "theseus"
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >> So what'd you think, need some tweaking?:)

    >I think you are hunour impaired

    I think you got the wrong end of that post I made, nearly all I say is
    in jest:) After all, it's all just a discussion in the end, it's not
    like anyone's life is hanging off our every word.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 6, 2004
  10. Max Burke

    > It seems like Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:54:22 +1300 was when "theseus"
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >>> So what'd you think, need some tweaking?:)

    >>I think you are hunour impaired

    > I think you got the wrong end of that post I made, nearly all I say is
    > in jest:) After all, it's all just a discussion in the end, it's not
    > like anyone's life is hanging off our every word.

    So Cliff quoted

    3. Windows Naked
    It's time for Windows to strip down to its skivvies. Roger Clifford, a
    network admin in Alaska, says Microsoft could create an OS "that boots in 10
    seconds and never slows down or freezes" if not for "useless features that
    slow down the OS, crash the machine and create unnecessary security holes."
    Contributing Writer and Network Manager Laura E. Hunter (see p. 43) wants a
    server OS stripped of its GUI, browser and "all the other pretty things"
    that belong only on clients.

    and mentioned that a base install with samba does that

    So you had a heavy handed whine about posts that mention linux.
    Perhaps you are doing a double act with Max Burke ;-)
    theseus, Oct 6, 2004
  11. In article <Vjs8d.6603$>,
    "Max Burke" <> wrote:

    >From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's our
    >dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post yours at the
    >end of this article!)
    >http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=807

    7. Word for Dummies
    Redmond Editor in Chief Doug Barney longs for the days of word
    processing programs like Xywrite that, even with their funky
    keystroke combos, were somehow simple to use. Word, on the other
    hand, has a mind of its own, constantly changing formatting and fonts
    on unsuspecting editors who are just trying to get some work done.
    Make it stop!

    <sardonic laughter> And why exactly can't you buy XyWrite any more?
    Could it be because millions of loyal Microsoft users preferred Word
    instead?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >It seems like Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:49:37 +1300 was when Enkidu
    ><> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >>Sounds a bit like Linux, doesn't it?

    >Can I create my own law/maxim? See definition below.
    >
    >Kenning's Maxim:
    >
    >When any thread in nz.comp starts with discussion about a Microsoft
    >operating system feature or problem, the probability that someone
    >recommends installing Linux or Linux doesn't have that problem
    >approaches 1.

    Lawrence's meta-maxim: Whenever any controversy pops up in enough USENET
    threads over time, the probability that somebody will come up with a
    variant of Godwin's Law to try to make it seem uncool approaches 1.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2004
  13. Max Burke

    Stewbaby Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote in message news:<xht8d.10015$>...
    > Max Burke wrote:
    >
    > > From executive-distracting ROI calculators to a naked Windows, here's our
    > > dream to-do list for Microsoft's developers. (Be sure to post yours at the
    > > end of this article!)
    > > http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=807
    > >

    > "4. Outlook for Idiots
    > Ever send an e-mail pointing to insightful ponderings in an attached
    > document-only to forget to attach the document? I've done it 642 times as
    > of noon today. Wouldn't it be nice if Outlook scanned outgoing messages for
    > a predefined keyword-something crazy like "attach"-and slapped you upside
    > the head when the word cropped up in a message with no attachment? Yes, it
    > would."
    >
    > KMail does this. It's really useful and would be good if all email clients
    > did it.

    As does Pegasus Mail (a good kiwi product), which doesn't require the
    install of "the alternative OS that shall not be named unless you
    want a tirade about how you can't post a message about one OS without
    the other OS being mentioned"!

    Stewbaby
    Stewbaby, Oct 13, 2004
  14. It seems like Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:44:52 +1300 was when Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> said Blah blah blah...

    >>Can I create my own law/maxim? See definition below.
    >>
    >>Kenning's Maxim:
    >>
    >>When any thread in nz.comp starts with discussion about a Microsoft
    >>operating system feature or problem, the probability that someone
    >>recommends installing Linux or Linux doesn't have that problem
    >>approaches 1.

    >Lawrence's meta-maxim: Whenever any controversy pops up in enough USENET
    >threads over time, the probability that somebody will come up with a
    >variant of Godwin's Law to try to make it seem uncool approaches 1.

    Stylish, I like it:)
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.