    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Nov 29, 2005

  2. "Michael J Davis" <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Rather than continue to purchase memory cards, I am looking at some
    > temporary storage device.
    >
    > In particular, the Vosonic 2610 range and the 6210 ranges:-
    >
    > The latter appear to be bout double the first, and I cannot see what the
    > main differences are. Both seem to enable you view the pictures, both have
    > HDs to carry the data.
    >
    > Any comments or recommendations, please?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    My recent experience with Vosonic's X'S Drive2XL VP2260...
    First one wouldn't charge - At all. It's replacement was SH (despite a
    sealed box). It had a whole bunch of smart media card files from some Fuji
    compact of someone's back garden. It also made some painful whining noises!
    Third one charged and seemed to be new. Tested with approx' 200MB Canon
    raw's and was all good. A few days later it was used to backup approx' 7GB
    of 5D raw's from a shoot. It couldn't load them on to my PC: I ended up
    having to copy a dozen of the files over individually. The whole process,
    due to constant failures, took over 2 hours. I gave up on Vosonic then and
    have bought a SmartDisk FlashTrax XT instead. It's performing excellently:
    Quick, efficient and a very decent battery life. Not as solid and the
    Vosonic and the screen's naff for viewing photo's with but that's not what I
    use it for ... And it works!
    If you do go Vosonic it'd be interesting to hear how it goes
    --
    Simon
    http://www.pbase.com/stanmore

    Simon Stanmore, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Simon Stanmore <> observed

    >"Michael J Davis" <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Rather than continue to purchase memory cards, I am looking at some
    >> temporary storage device.
    >>
    >> In particular, the Vosonic 2610 range and the 6210 ranges:-
    >>
    >> The latter appear to be bout double the first, and I cannot see what the
    >> main differences are. Both seem to enable you view the pictures, both have
    >> HDs to carry the data.
    >>
    >> Any comments or recommendations, please?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Mike

    >My recent experience with Vosonic's X'S Drive2XL VP2260...
    >First one wouldn't charge - At all. It's replacement was SH (despite a
    >sealed box). It had a whole bunch of smart media card files from some Fuji
    >compact of someone's back garden. It also made some painful whining noises!
    >Third one charged and seemed to be new. Tested with approx' 200MB Canon
    >raw's and was all good. A few days later it was used to backup approx' 7GB
    >of 5D raw's from a shoot. It couldn't load them on to my PC: I ended up
    >having to copy a dozen of the files over individually. The whole process,
    >due to constant failures, took over 2 hours. I gave up on Vosonic then and
    >have bought a SmartDisk FlashTrax XT instead. It's performing excellently:
    >Quick, efficient and a very decent battery life. Not as solid and the
    >Vosonic and the screen's naff for viewing photo's with but that's not what I
    >use it for ... And it works!
    >If you do go Vosonic it'd be interesting to hear how it goes

    Thanks Simon, although you had problems - it sounds as though your
    *used* stock was a function of the retailer you bought it from. Who was
    it?

    Meanwhile I'll check out the Flashtrax. Thanks

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Michael J Davis

    Tumbleweed Guest

    > Rather than continue to purchase memory cards, I am looking at some
    > temporary storage device.
    >
    > In particular, the Vosonic 2610 range and the 6210 ranges:-
    >
    > The latter appear to be bout double the first, and I cannot see what the
    > main differences are. Both seem to enable you view the pictures, both have
    > HDs to carry the data.
    >
    > Any comments or recommendations, please?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    have you got an iPod? You can use them for this purpose as well.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

    Tumbleweed, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Michael J Davis

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Burning to CD doesn't work?

    Everything I shoot, whether I keep it or not, winds up on a CD.

    I've never filled the 1gb memory stick in the camera ; thence to
    the HD, and whenever 300 pics are there, to CD with a date written
    on the label, and deleted from the HD, except for the ones worth
    keeping.

    CDs are piled in a closet.

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Michael J Davis

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Ron Hardin" <> wrote in message
    > Burning to CD doesn't work?

    Not many people want to take a CD burner along with them.

    Tumbleweed, Nov 29, 2005
  7. Tumbleweed <> observed
    >"Ron Hardin" <> wrote in message
    >> Burning to CD doesn't work?
    >>

    >Not many people want to take a CD burner along with them.

    Especially not on a trip to Africa...

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Michael J Davis

    Guest

    Michael J Davis wrote:

    > Rather than continue to purchase memory cards, I am looking at some
    > temporary storage device. [...]
    > Any comments or recommendations, please?

    Use google.

    groups.google.com: vosonic group:rec.photo.digital

    You may wish to "order by date". My experience is that Vosonic makes
    crap. Buy a www.hyperdrive.com unit instead.

    , Nov 29, 2005
  9. "Michael J Davis" <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Thanks Simon, although you had problems - it sounds as though your *used*
    > stock was a function of the retailer you bought it from. Who was it?
    >
    > Meanwhile I'll check out the Flashtrax. Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    Warehouse Express. All of the four drives I wrote about were from them and
    they dealt with the whole thing satisfactorily. The way in which the box was
    sealed makes me think it was a manufacturer issue rather than WE's
    --
    Simon
    http://www.pbase.com/stanmore

    Simon Stanmore, Nov 29, 2005
  10. Michael J Davis

    Liz Guest

    In message <>
    Michael J Davis <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    > Tumbleweed <> observed
    >>"Ron Hardin" <> wrote in message
    >>> Burning to CD doesn't work?

    >>Not many people want to take a CD burner along with them.
    >>

    > Especially not on a trip to Africa...

    Why not?

    I took an apacer to Galapagos last year and all went fine.

    I only used it about twice in between, so checked it this year the day
    before I went back and it worked fine, but when I got there it would
    not play ball (maybe because this year I packed it in my hold baggage
    on the outward trip?), a bit of a nightmare, as I only had 2x250Mb
    cards with me, and all I could get in Santa Cruz were 2 *expensive*
    64Mb ones!

    Then my film SLR let me down, but I didn't know until too late, so
    lost c15 rolls/2-3 days before switching to my old manual SLR backup!

    So now I've ordered a laptop, but of course had to opt for a heavier
    one to cope with heavy imaging use, so *hope* I'll be able to take it
    on trips. It'll certainly help to fill in the weary hours on planes!

    Something like an apacer is easy to carry and use, but you won't know
    for sure if it has actually burned someting or not - last year, I
    'saved' what looked (on camera) to be my best pics on the Compact
    Flash card, just to be sure.
    There are other small solutions which let you see your images, for
    extra peace of mind.

    Just be prepared for the inevitable: equipment will let you down, and
    if you don't know about it, even your backup equipment won't save you!

    Slainte

    Liz
    --
    Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
    Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos

    Liz, Nov 29, 2005
  11. Michael J Davis

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>
    > Michael J Davis <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Tumbleweed <> observed
    >>>"Ron Hardin" <> wrote in message

    >>>Not many people want to take a CD burner along with them.
    >>>

    >> Especially not on a trip to Africa...

    > Why not?
    >
    > I took an apacer to Galapagos last year and all went fine.

    because its a bloody expensive backup solution, which is what the OP asked
    for, a 'temporary' storage solution.

    > I only used it about twice in between, so checked it this year the day
    > before I went back and it worked fine, but when I got there it would
    > not play ball (maybe because this year I packed it in my hold baggage
    > on the outward trip?), a bit of a nightmare, as I only had 2x250Mb
    > cards with me, and all I could get in Santa Cruz were 2 *expensive*
    > 64Mb ones!

    You could have got 30Mb of storage for about £250 all up, plus something
    that would also play music, and be a lot more robust than a laptop,and
    smaller and wouldnt need extra special care and attention. Fine if you need
    a laptop, but way ovre the top if you just want temporary storage space. Or
    just bought a lot more memory cards, jeez a 512Mb card is about £20 these
    days!

    > Then my film SLR let me down, but I didn't know until too late, so
    > lost c15 rolls/2-3 days before switching to my old manual SLR backup!
    >
    > So now I've ordered a laptop, but of course had to opt for a heavier
    > one to cope with heavy imaging use, so *hope* I'll be able to take it
    > on trips. It'll certainly help to fill in the weary hours on planes!

    For 2 hours till the battery dies!

    Tumbleweed, Nov 29, 2005
  12. Michael J Davis

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Tumbleweed" <> writes:
    > You could have got 30Mb of storage for about £250 all up, plus something
    > that would also play music, and be a lot more robust than a laptop,and
    > smaller and wouldnt need extra special care and attention. Fine if you need
    > a laptop, but way ovre the top if you just want temporary storage space. Or
    > just bought a lot more memory cards, jeez a 512Mb card is about £20 these
    > days!

    This thing might be of interest:

    http://www.cooldrives.com/usbotgshcou2.html

    it would let you back up your memory card to your ipod through a card
    reader, and isn't too bulky to travel with.

    For still photos though, I have to question the value of taking so
    many on vacation (as opposed to on a pro assignment). Do you really
    think you're going to look at thousands and thousands of pictures
    after you get home? A few dozen pictures per week has always been
    plenty for me when travelling. At 1.5MB/shot (5 MP), a 1GB card would
    hold 650+ shots, comparable to 25+ rolls of film. Those cards are
    around 50 USD (25 GBP) each, so I'd think you'd need to expect to use
    more than say 6 of them before it even begins to be worthwhile to
    bring along a hard drive gizmo to dump pics to (unless of course you
    have other reasons for bringing it, like to play music from, or if you
    travel with a laptop).

    If you're travelling in places where there's power and internet
    connectivity, the answer may be a small laptop with a CD or DVD
    burner. Hard disc space is so cheap now that there's not much economy
    attraction to optical media any more. But CD's and DVD's have the
    advantage that you can mail them home as you use them, giving you a
    simple form of remote data backup in case your equipment gets lost.

    Paul Rubin, Nov 29, 2005
  13. Liz wrote:
    []
    > There are other small solutions which let you see your images, for
    > extra peace of mind.

    []

    Yes, we have an Epson P-2000 which stores on an internal hard disk, but
    you can replay the images to check. It has a very good display, by the
    way, which you can use for mini-slideshows to friends. Even has video
    out!

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 30, 2005
  14. Simon Stanmore <> observed

    >"Michael J Davis" <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks Simon, although you had problems - it sounds as though your *used*
    >> stock was a function of the retailer you bought it from. Who was it?
    >>
    >> Meanwhile I'll check out the Flashtrax. Thanks
    >>
    >> Mike

    >Warehouse Express. All of the four drives I wrote about were from them and
    >they dealt with the whole thing satisfactorily. The way in which the box was
    >sealed makes me think it was a manufacturer issue rather than WE's

    Thanks Simon

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Nov 30, 2005
  15. Liz <> observed
    >In message <>
    > Michael J Davis <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Tumbleweed <> observed
    >>>"Ron Hardin" <> wrote in message

    >>>Not many people want to take a CD burner along with them.
    >>>

    >> Especially not on a trip to Africa...

    >Why not?
    >
    >I took an apacer to Galapagos last year and all went fine.
    >
    >I only used it about twice in between, so checked it this year the day
    >before I went back and it worked fine, but when I got there it would
    >not play ball (maybe because this year I packed it in my hold baggage
    >on the outward trip?), a bit of a nightmare, as I only had 2x250Mb
    >cards with me, and all I could get in Santa Cruz were 2 *expensive*
    >64Mb ones!
    >
    >Then my film SLR let me down, but I didn't know until too late, so
    >lost c15 rolls/2-3 days before switching to my old manual SLR backup!
    >
    >So now I've ordered a laptop, but of course had to opt for a heavier
    >one to cope with heavy imaging use, so *hope* I'll be able to take it
    >on trips. It'll certainly help to fill in the weary hours on planes!
    >
    >Something like an apacer is easy to carry and use, but you won't know
    >for sure if it has actually burned someting or not - last year, I
    >'saved' what looked (on camera) to be my best pics on the Compact
    >Flash card, just to be sure.
    >There are other small solutions which let you see your images, for
    >extra peace of mind.
    >
    >Just be prepared for the inevitable: equipment will let you down, and
    >if you don't know about it, even your backup equipment won't save you!

    Yes, thanks Liz.

    I hadn't looked at the cost of an a-pacer recently, but what attracted
    me to the Vosonics was that they (seemed) to show the pictures once they
    were loaded. I have a horror of assuming the CD is OK, and not finding
    out until too late.

    How many CD's can be burned before recharging with an a-pacer?

    And no, I went digital to avoid carrying loads of equipment with me.
    Although I miss my Leica and all the lenses, I am getting much better
    pictures since I went digital (but fewer 'decisive moments').

    Mike

    Michael J Davis

    now with added pictures on www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

    <><

    Michael J Davis, Nov 30, 2005
  16. observed
    >Michael J Davis wrote:
    >
    >> Rather than continue to purchase memory cards, I am looking at some
    >> temporary storage device. [...]
    >> Any comments or recommendations, please?

    >Use google.
    >
    >groups.google.com: vosonic group:rec.photo.digital

    Funny that, I thought a google search would have revealed a google
    group. I'll have a look!

    >You may wish to "order by date". My experience is that Vosonic makes
    >crap. Buy a www.hyperdrive.com unit instead.

    Certainly looks good, and free shipping internationally starts tomorrow!

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Nov 30, 2005
  17. "Tumbleweed" <> writes:

    > "Michael J Davis" <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Rather than continue to purchase memory cards, I am looking at some
    > > temporary storage device.
    > >
    > > In particular, the Vosonic 2610 range and the 6210 ranges:-
    > >
    > > The latter appear to be bout double the first, and I cannot see what the
    > > main differences are. Both seem to enable you view the pictures, both have
    > > HDs to carry the data.
    > >
    > > Any comments or recommendations, please?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > have you got an iPod? You can use them for this purpose as well.

    From what I recall, the iPod adaptors are fairly battery hungry, and may not
    allow more than a few gig at most to be uploaded before running out of juice.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 2, 2005
  18. Michael J Davis

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Michael Meissner" <> wrote in message
    > "Tumbleweed" <> writes:
    >
    >> "Michael J Davis" <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Rather than continue to purchase memory cards, I am looking at some
    >> > temporary storage device.
    >> >
    >> > In particular, the Vosonic 2610 range and the 6210 ranges:-
    >> >
    >> > The latter appear to be bout double the first, and I cannot see what
    >> > the
    >> > main differences are. Both seem to enable you view the pictures, both
    >> > have
    >> > HDs to carry the data.
    >> >
    >> > Any comments or recommendations, please?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Mike
    >> >

    >> have you got an iPod? You can use them for this purpose as well.

    > From what I recall, the iPod adaptors are fairly battery hungry, and may
    > not
    > allow more than a few gig at most to be uploaded before running out of
    > juice.

    Definitely some truth in that, it all depends how much you want to download,
    how close to an electricity supply, and if you already have one. If you
    arent shooting more than a few gig a day (which would be many hundred
    pictures unless you are shooting raw), and getting back to a hotel or
    similar most nights, an iPod will be fine. That would probably apply to many
    people just looking for extra capacity while on their holidays for example,
    or maybe just another place to store their pics as backup. If hat applies
    and you already have an iPod, its only another £20 or so to get the cable
    and thus its a no-brainer.

    OTOH if you are shooting significantly more than that, or away from
    electricity (but have access to plenty of AA's or maybe a solar recharger)
    then one of the devices discussed is a better bet.

    Tumbleweed, Dec 2, 2005
  19. Michael J Davis

    Liz Guest

    In message <j$>
    Michael J Davis <?.?@trustsof.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    > I hadn't looked at the cost of an a-pacer recently, but what attracted
    > me to the Vosonics was that they (seemed) to show the pictures once they
    > were loaded. I have a horror of assuming the CD is OK, and not finding
    > out until too late.

    Yes, I agree.
    I wanted, at the time, a phototainer, but I couldn't get them for love
    nor money in the timescale I had available.

    > How many CD's can be burned before recharging with an a-pacer?

    Good question, but I can't answer it, because I was able to plug it in
    on the boat whenever I wanted to, and in fact usually used it 'plugged
    in'.

    I don't recommend the apacer now as it stopped working for no apparent
    reason, and if you weren't supposed to put it into hold baggage, this
    wasn't mentioned anywhere in the information that came with it: maybe
    we're supposed to 'know' these things...?

    I really must send it back: it's still under guarantee (2 years as
    standard) but I can't find the receipt ...

    Slainte

    Liz

    Liz, Dec 2, 2005
  20. Michael J Davis

    Liz Guest

    In message <>
    "Tumbleweed" <> wrote:

    >> So now I've ordered a laptop, but of course had to opt for a heavier
    >> one to cope with heavy imaging use, so *hope* I'll be able to take it
    >> on trips. It'll certainly help to fill in the weary hours on planes!

    > For 2 hours till the battery dies!

    They claim 6 hours, reviews on the Web seem to suggest 4 1/2 hrs is
    more realistic. I got an extra battery anyway!
    My main worry is getting it through as hand baggage. Although I have
    very 'consumer' optics (no 'big glass') my camera bag is just 'on' the
    hand baggage limits.

    Slainte

    Liz

    Liz, Dec 2, 2005