Temporary Internet Files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DemoDisk, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    Disk cleanup is part of my routine before shutting down every day. Once
    in a while I choose "View files." That's the "temp file" that
    everyone's advised to clean out alla time, right?

    Well, I've used Windows for years and I still don't understand...what IS
    all that crap? Eight folders full mostly of 0K files, plus a .dat and an
    ..ini. Disk Cleanup doesn't seem to remove it. One, for example

    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WPMZO9UV

    has this AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe from before Christmas and it's
    SIXTEEN MEGABYTES!

    So, how DO you "clean out your temp file" -- go into each folder,
    "Select All," and "Delete"? And do you have to worry about those .dat
    and .ini files?

    Thanks,
    JPM

    DemoDisk, Mar 17, 2006

  2. DemoDisk

    someone Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message

    > Disk cleanup is part of my routine before shutting down every day. Once
    > in a while I choose "View files." That's the "temp file" that
    > everyone's advised to clean out alla time, right?
    >
    > Well, I've used Windows for years and I still don't understand...what IS
    > all that crap? Eight folders full mostly of 0K files, plus a .dat and an
    > .ini. Disk Cleanup doesn't seem to remove it. One, for example
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WPMZO9UV
    >
    > has this AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe from before Christmas and it's
    > SIXTEEN MEGABYTES!
    >
    > So, how DO you "clean out your temp file" -- go into each folder,
    > "Select All," and "Delete"? And do you have to worry about those .dat
    > and .ini files?

    D\load and install CCleaner from here:
    www.ccleaner.com/
    Use it carefully !. and it will clean out all your rubbish.

    someone, Mar 17, 2006

  3. DemoDisk wrote:

    > Disk cleanup is part of my routine before shutting down every day. Once
    > in a while I choose "View files." That's the "temp file" that
    > everyone's advised to clean out alla time, right?
    >
    > Well, I've used Windows for years and I still don't understand...what IS
    > all that crap? Eight folders full mostly of 0K files, plus a .dat and an
    > .ini. Disk Cleanup doesn't seem to remove it. One, for example
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WPMZO9UV
    >
    > has this AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe from before Christmas and it's
    > SIXTEEN MEGABYTES!

    Thats a subfolder of ie cache. IE "indexes" it's cached files by creating
    different subfolders. Also there is a limit (65000 files per folder) above
    which searching would become incredibly slow.
    You may go to control panel - internet options, and delet the cache files
    (including files you "recently" downloaded) from there. You can as well set
    the default cache size to somewhat lower than the 10 percent of drive
    capacity that it got assigned by default.
    Btw. if you try out Firefox, it has a similar setting, but also rss feeds,
    tabbed browsing, a favorites bar and a much better bookmark management.
    It will offer to import all your IE bookmarks and settings too.

    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Mar 17, 2006
  4. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    Thanks ! WAS: Temporary Internet Files

    to "someone" and Walter,
    Thanks for your answers and refs
    ccleaner and Firefox -- I'll give them a try

    JPM

    DemoDisk, Mar 17, 2006
  5. DemoDisk

    Plato Guest