    attempt.

    What gives?

    Franz

    Franz Heymann, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Franz Heymann

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:39:51 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

    >I run Windowa 98.
    >I have 255,342 files in th folder Windows\temporary internet files\
    >I tried to delete them, using the information in
    >http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    >I followed the instructions quite carefully.
    >This resulted in furious and continuing disk activity.
    >After 3/4 hour I decided to abort the lot.

    I think you are just going to have to let it run overnight.....

    >I rebooted and looked at the contents of the folder I mentioned above.
    >Give or take a few hundreds, the number of files were the same as
    >before I started.

    ..... as it seems to have done something.

    Try settings the cache size down a bit say 5MB or even 1MB and see if
    that does a quicker wipe like a index.dat reset so it doesn't delete /
    update index all the time.

    >I repeated the same procedure after rebooting the computer in safe
    >mode.
    >The results were no different from what happened in my original
    >attempt.
    >
    >What gives?

    It's a lot of files to delete and update the cache index at the same
    time.

    Me

    why?, Oct 5, 2004

    /
    > update index all the time.
    >
    > >I repeated the same procedure after rebooting the computer in safe
    > >mode.
    > >The results were no different from what happened in my original
    > >attempt.
    > >
    > >What gives?

    > It's a lot of files to delete and update the cache index at the same
    > time.

    Thanks. I'll have another bash.

    Franz

    Franz Heymann, Oct 6, 2004