    Apparently, Microstiff assumed that we shouldn't be allowed to do that
    because we're too stupid to to do it. But how do I override that setting
    so I can work with those files?
    Bluuuue Rajah, Oct 19, 2008

  2. Bluuuue Rajah

    db.·.. > Guest

    not sure what kind
    of commands you
    want to write to it
    or for it.

    but if you want to
    delete the internet
    temps via a one click
    shortcut, use the
    following:

    %windir%\system32\RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 8

    perhaps, something in
    the above line might
    provide you with a
    clue to what you are
    trying to accomplish.

    let us know what your
    ideas are.
    --

    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

    db.·.. >, Oct 20, 2008

  3. "Figaro" <> wrote in

    > "Bluuuue Rajah" <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What's the deal with the Temporary Internet Files folder under XP
    >> Pro? I'm
    >> trying to move and otherwise work with the files stored in that
    >> directory, and for some reason many commands that involve writing
    >> into that directory don't work.
    >>
    >> Apparently, Microstiff assumed that we shouldn't be allowed to do
    >> that because we're too stupid to to do it. But how do I override
    >> that setting so I can work with those files?

    > I have XP home. To work with the files, I copy them to My Documents.
    > There, I can manipulate the files. For example, run flv and wmv
    > files, edit
    > jpg, etc.

    I want to 'move' files. I don't want to copy them, and delete the
    original, and I want to do it in that way for a very specific reason.
    What is the specific feature about that directory which prevents me from
    'moving' files, and how do I override it?
    Bluuuue Rajah, Oct 20, 2008
  4. Bluuuue Rajah

    chuckcar Guest

    Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote in

    > What's the deal with the Temporary Internet Files folder under XP Pro?
    > I'm trying to move and otherwise work with the files stored in that
    > directory, and for some reason many commands that involve writing into
    > that directory don't work.
    >
    > Apparently, Microstiff assumed that we shouldn't be allowed to do that
    > because we're too stupid to to do it. But how do I override that
    > setting so I can work with those files?

    Temporary internet files are *used* when you're using a browser. Unless
    you close the browser, they would be protected. If you want a directory to
    *work* on files, use what windows uses: windows/temp.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 20, 2008
  5. Bluuuue Rajah

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 01:41:36 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Temporary internet files are *used* when you're using a browser. Unless
    >you close the browser, they would be protected. If you want a directory to
    >*work* on files, use what windows uses: windows/temp.

    What part of the OP saying he's trying to WRITE files to that
    directory did you not understand?
    Evan Platt, Oct 20, 2008
  6. Bluuuue Rajah

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:01:33 GMT, Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.>
    wrote:

    >What's the deal with the Temporary Internet Files folder under XP Pro? I'm
    >trying to move and otherwise work with the files stored in that directory,
    >and for some reason many commands that involve writing into that directory
    >don't work.
    >
    >Apparently, Microstiff assumed that we shouldn't be allowed to do that
    >because we're too stupid to to do it. But how do I override that setting
    >so I can work with those files?

    If you have a browser open, you may not be able to delete any or all
    of the files in your temporary internet files directory, but you
    should be able to write a file to that directory, but why would you
    want to?

    Are you logged in with an administrator account? Is this your TIF
    directory under your account? What error are you getting?
    Evan Platt, Oct 20, 2008
  7. chuckcar <> wrote in

    > Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote in
    >

    >> What's the deal with the Temporary Internet Files folder under XP
    >> Pro? I'm trying to move and otherwise work with the files stored in
    >> that directory, and for some reason many commands that involve
    >> writing into that directory don't work.
    >>
    >> Apparently, Microstiff assumed that we shouldn't be allowed to do
    >> that because we're too stupid to to do it. But how do I override
    >> that setting so I can work with those files?
    >>

    > Temporary internet files are *used* when you're using a browser.
    > Unless you close the browser, they would be protected. If you want a
    > directory to *work* on files, use what windows uses: windows/temp.

    That still doesn't give me access to the 'move' command in the Temporary
    Internet Files directory.
    Bluuuue Rajah, Oct 20, 2008
  8. Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:01:33 GMT, Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>What's the deal with the Temporary Internet Files folder under XP Pro?
    >> I'm trying to move and otherwise work with the files stored in that
    >>directory, and for some reason many commands that involve writing into
    >>that directory don't work.
    >>
    >>Apparently, Microstiff assumed that we shouldn't be allowed to do that
    >>because we're too stupid to to do it. But how do I override that
    >>setting so I can work with those files?

    > If you have a browser open, you may not be able to delete any or all
    > of the files in your temporary internet files directory, but you
    > should be able to write a file to that directory, but why would you
    > want to?
    >
    > Are you logged in with an administrator account? Is this your TIF
    > directory under your account?

    Yes to both.

    > What error are you getting?

    I'm only interested in getting the 'move' command to work, because the
    normal alternative of copying it and deleting the original is
    unsatifcactory for my purpose.

    I'm not getting an error. The pop-up menu that I normally use to move
    files doesn't have that command, and the 'move' command under the main
    menu is disabled. If I try to drag and drop the file, it creates a new
    copy and doesn't delete the old one.
    Bluuuue Rajah, Oct 20, 2008
  9. Bluuuue Rajah

    chuckcar Guest

    > chuckcar <> wrote in
    >
    >> Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote in
    >>

    >>> What's the deal with the Temporary Internet Files folder under XP
    >>> Pro? I'm trying to move and otherwise work with the files stored in
    >>> that directory, and for some reason many commands that involve
    >>> writing into that directory don't work.
    >>>
    >>> Apparently, Microstiff assumed that we shouldn't be allowed to do
    >>> that because we're too stupid to to do it. But how do I override
    >>> that setting so I can work with those files?
    >>>

    >> Temporary internet files are *used* when you're using a browser.
    >> Unless you close the browser, they would be protected. If you want a
    >> directory to *work* on files, use what windows uses: windows/temp.

    > That still doesn't give me access to the 'move' command in the Temporary
    > Internet Files directory.

    You *can't* delete the files. Clearing your temporary internet files
    within Internet explorer is the way it's done. You *can* copy the files.
    It's a directory *used* by windows for it's own work. Deletiny files there
    could cause any number of problems - everywhere up to windows freezing -
    completely and permanently.

    Copy the files you want and paste them somewhere else and *then* delete
    them in the second place.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 20, 2008
  10. chuckcar <> wrote in

    > Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote in

    >>> Temporary internet files are *used* when you're using a browser.
    >>> Unless you close the browser, they would be protected. If you want a
    >>> directory to *work* on files, use what windows uses: windows/temp.

    >> That still doesn't give me access to the 'move' command in the
    >> Temporary Internet Files directory.

    > You *can't* delete the files. Clearing your temporary internet files
    > within Internet explorer is the way it's done. You *can* copy the
    > files. It's a directory *used* by windows for it's own work. Deleting
    > files there could cause any number of problems - everywhere up to
    > windows freezing - completely and permanently.
    >
    > Copy the files you want and paste them somewhere else and *then*
    > delete them in the second place.

    There are some specifics about my task that make that useless to me. I
    *have* to have the 'move' command, and the obvious workaround, which
    everybody knows anyhow, isn't good enough for what I need to do.
    Bluuuue Rajah, Oct 20, 2008
  11. Bluuuue Rajah

    Tony Guest

    I wish you were only temporary on usenet.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 20, 2008
  12. On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:39:29 +0000, Bluuuue Rajah aided th' terraists with
    the following claims :

    > There are some specifics about my task that make that useless to me. I
    > *have* to have the 'move' command, and the obvious workaround, which
    > everybody knows anyhow, isn't good enough for what I need to do.

    Sounds like a common complaint among windoze users;"why wont windows let
    me do what I want?"

    Well...theres always LINUX :)

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg
    §ñühwØ£f, Oct 20, 2008
  13. Bluuuue Rajah

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:01:58 GMT, Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.>
    wrote:

    >I'm not getting an error. The pop-up menu that I normally use to move
    >files doesn't have that command, and the 'move' command under the main
    >menu is disabled. If I try to drag and drop the file, it creates a new
    >copy and doesn't delete the old one.

    Which "pop up command" are you talking about?
    Evan Platt, Oct 20, 2008
  14. Bluuuue Rajah

    chuckcar Guest

    > chuckcar <> wrote in

    >>> That still doesn't give me access to the 'move' command in the
    >>> Temporary Internet Files directory.

    >> You *can't* delete the files. Clearing your temporary internet files
    >> within Internet explorer is the way it's done. You *can* copy the
    >> files. It's a directory *used* by windows for it's own work. Deleting
    >> files there could cause any number of problems - everywhere up to
    >> windows freezing - completely and permanently.
    >>
    >> Copy the files you want and paste them somewhere else and *then*
    >> delete them in the second place.

    > There are some specifics about my task that make that useless to me. I
    > *have* to have the 'move' command, and the obvious workaround, which
    > everybody knows anyhow, isn't good enough for what I need to do.

    Then there's a problem with what you "have" to do. Read more about the how
    and why of windows:

    http://technet.microsoft.com

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 20, 2008
  15. Bluuuue Rajah

    Roy Smith Guest

    Bluuuue Rajah said the following on 10/20/2008 8:39 AM:
    > chuckcar <> wrote in
    >
    >> Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote in
    >>
    >>> chuckcar <> wrote in

    >>> That still doesn't give me access to the 'move' command in the
    >>> Temporary Internet Files directory.

    >> You *can't* delete the files. Clearing your temporary internet files
    >> within Internet explorer is the way it's done. You *can* copy the
    >> files. It's a directory *used* by windows for it's own work. Deleting
    >> files there could cause any number of problems - everywhere up to
    >> windows freezing - completely and permanently.
    >>
    >> Copy the files you want and paste them somewhere else and *then*
    >> delete them in the second place.

    > There are some specifics about my task that make that useless to me. I
    > *have* to have the 'move' command, and the obvious workaround, which
    > everybody knows anyhow, isn't good enough for what I need to do.

    Ok here's the question everyone has missed so far, please tell us why
    you have to move the files from your Temporary Internet Files folder?

    - --

    Roy Smith

    I use Firefox because I want to use software that complies
    with Web standards. See <http://www.mozilla.org/>.

    Roy Smith, Oct 21, 2008
  16. Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:01:58 GMT, Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm not getting an error. The pop-up menu that I normally use to move
    >>files doesn't have that command, and the 'move' command under the main
    >>menu is disabled. If I try to drag and drop the file, it creates a new
    >>copy and doesn't delete the old one.

    > Which "pop up command" are you talking about?

    The pop-up menu you get when you right click on the file.
    Bluuuue Rajah, Oct 21, 2008
  17. Roy Smith <> wrote in news:utDIUaxMJHA.3588
    @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

    > Bluuuue Rajah said the following on 10/20/2008 8:39 AM:
    >> chuckcar <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Bluuuue Rajah <Bluuuuue@Rajah.> wrote in

    >>> You *can't* delete the files. Clearing your temporary internet files
    >>> within Internet explorer is the way it's done. You *can* copy the
    >>> files. It's a directory *used* by windows for it's own work. Deleting
    >>> files there could cause any number of problems - everywhere up to
    >>> windows freezing - completely and permanently.
    >>>
    >>> Copy the files you want and paste them somewhere else and *then*
    >>> delete them in the second place.

    >> There are some specifics about my task that make that useless to me. I
    >> *have* to have the 'move' command, and the obvious workaround, which
    >> everybody knows anyhow, isn't good enough for what I need to do.

    > Ok here's the question everyone has missed so far, please tell us why
    > you have to move the files from your Temporary Internet Files folder?

    Sure, this all started as an attempt to shred the files in the Temporary
    Internet Files folder. Since I couldn't shred them in place, I figured I'd
    move them to another directory and shred them there. But the 'move'
    command doesn't work, and the copy/delete way of *pretending* to move a
    file still leaves a bunch of unshredded temporary files on my hard drive.

    Since then I have downloaded a shredder that claims to do the job, but now
    this has just become a point of fascination. I'm stunned by the fact that
    this directory is different from all the others, and I don't see why those
    commands should be disabled.

    Now it's just a mystery I'd like to solve, for it's own sake, rather than
    to accomplish any specific task. I'd simply like to take this opportunity
    to become more expert at understanding how the intricacies of Windows work.
    Bluuuue Rajah, Oct 21, 2008