    It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What are they and why are they still
    there?
    Derek.

    Derek F., Dec 30, 2004

  2. Derek F.

    Jasper Blom Guest

    probably hidden files or read only files
    "Derek F." <> schreef in bericht news:cr1ktm$fmb$...
    I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk clean up
    option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the temporary Internet
    file folder now I am surprised to see that it is still over 1.0 GB in size.

    Jasper Blom, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Derek F.

    DC Guest

    DC, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Derek F.

    Rob K Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:35:54 +0100, Jasper Blom wrote:

    <partially quoted>
    ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C4EEAF.28AF96A0

    probably hidden
    <end quote>

    You don't know that this is a text-only group ?
    Please do NOT post HTML here.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Dec 30, 2004
  5. Derek F.

    Bud Light Guest

    "Derek F." <> wrote in message
    > I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk clean up
    > option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the temporary Internet
    > file folder now I am surprised to see that it is still over 1.0 GB in

    size.
    > It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What are they and why are they still
    > there?
    > Derek.

    Go to Internet Options and delete files and delete cookies.

    Bud Light, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Derek F.

    Sky King Guest

    Derek F. wrote:
    > I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk
    > clean up option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the
    > temporary Internet file folder now I am surprised to see that it is
    > still over 1.0 GB in size. It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What
    > are they and why are they still there?

    Commonly called "offline content" these are most often newsgroup messages
    you have read (saved as <somename>.TMP. To clean them up open IE
    Tools/Internet Options; on the General tab click Delete files and when the
    popup shows select the option to delete offline content.

    Strangely enuff CleanUp doesn't get to those .tmp files and if left alone
    they can build up to quite a large chunk of hard drive real estate.

    --

    ....Sky

    Tom "Sky" King
    =============

    Sky King, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Derek F.

    Derek F. Guest

    "Sky King" <> wrote in message
    > Derek F. wrote:
    >> I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk
    >> clean up option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the
    >> temporary Internet file folder now I am surprised to see that it is
    >> still over 1.0 GB in size. It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What
    >> are they and why are they still there?

    > Commonly called "offline content" these are most often newsgroup messages
    > you have read (saved as <somename>.TMP. To clean them up open IE
    > Tools/Internet Options; on the General tab click Delete files and when the
    > popup shows select the option to delete offline content.
    >
    > Strangely enuff CleanUp doesn't get to those .tmp files and if left alone
    > they can build up to quite a large chunk of hard drive real estate.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ...Sky
    >
    > Tom "Sky" King
    > =============

    I tried the delete offline content option with limited success. The space
    used stayed about the same and the number of files only reduced to 98,000
    and the number of folders to 45.
    Derek.

    Derek F., Dec 30, 2004
  8. Derek F.

    dadiOH Guest

    Derek F. wrote:
    > I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk
    > clean up option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the
    > temporary Internet file folder now I am surprised to see that it is
    > still over 1.0 GB in size. It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What
    > are they and why are they still there?

    Every time you read a web page you download it. It stays in TIF until
    you delete it or until the maximum capacity (set by you is reached)

    To delete, use Internet Options, General tab, Delete. To set cache
    size, same place but settings.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Dec 31, 2004
  9. Derek F.

    Derek F. Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    > Derek F. wrote:
    >> I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk
    >> clean up option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the
    >> temporary Internet file folder now I am surprised to see that it is
    >> still over 1.0 GB in size. It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What
    >> are they and why are they still there?

    > Every time you read a web page you download it. It stays in TIF until
    > you delete it or until the maximum capacity (set by you is reached)
    >
    > To delete, use Internet Options, General tab, Delete. To set cache
    > size, same place but settings.
    >

    > --
    > dadiOH

    Been there, done that but I still have this 1.0 GB folder.
    Derek.

    Derek F., Dec 31, 2004
  10. Derek F.

    Sky King Guest

    Derek F. wrote:

    > I tried the delete offline content option with limited success. The
    > space used stayed about the same and the number of files only reduced
    > to 98,000 and the number of folders to 45.

    Then your entire TIF folder is likely corrupt. Boot into Safe Mode picking
    "The" Administrator account on the Welcome screen, and delete the Temporary
    Internet Files folder under your user profile. It will be here:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files

    A new TIF folder will be automatically created when you boot back into
    Normal mode.

    BTW, I'm basing this on your header info which shows you are using XP SP2.
    If this problem is on a different machine with some other version of
    Windows, the goal is still the same just that the methods will differ.

    --

    ....Sky

    Tom "Sky" King
    =============

    Sky King, Dec 31, 2004
  11. Derek F.

    bassbag Guest

    In article <cr464a$6v5$>,
    says...

    > "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    > > Derek F. wrote:
    > >> I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk
    > >> clean up option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the
    > >> temporary Internet file folder now I am surprised to see that it is
    > >> still over 1.0 GB in size. It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What
    > >> are they and why are they still there?

    > > Every time you read a web page you download it. It stays in TIF until
    > > you delete it or until the maximum capacity (set by you is reached)
    > >
    > > To delete, use Internet Options, General tab, Delete. To set cache
    > > size, same place but settings.
    > >

    > > --
    > > dadiOH

    > Been there, done that but I still have this 1.0 GB folder.
    > Derek.

    Errors can sometimes occur if your TIF is set for say 1 gig capacity ,and
    filled, and then the folder size is altered to say half a gig ,in the
    temp internet file settings.This can happen on a 98 machine though i m
    not sure about XP machines whether this can happen also.A scan at
    pcpitstop will tell you if thats the problem .Try the full tests there...
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp
    me

    bassbag, Jan 1, 2005
  12. Derek F.

    Derek F. Guest

    "Sky King" <> wrote in message
    > Derek F. wrote:
    >
    >> I tried the delete offline content option with limited success. The
    >> space used stayed about the same and the number of files only reduced
    >> to 98,000 and the number of folders to 45.

    > Then your entire TIF folder is likely corrupt. Boot into Safe Mode
    > picking "The" Administrator account on the Welcome screen, and delete the
    > Temporary Internet Files folder under your user profile. It will be here:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Temporary
    > Internet Files
    >
    > A new TIF folder will be automatically created when you boot back into
    > Normal mode.
    >
    > BTW, I'm basing this on your header info which shows you are using XP SP2.
    > If this problem is on a different machine with some other version of
    > Windows, the goal is still the same just that the methods will differ.
    >

    > --
    >
    > ...Sky
    >
    > Tom "Sky" King
    > =============

    That seemed to be the only option left, so I basically took that path. I
    went to the Temporary Internet Folder and deleted all the folders within it.
    I expect that my next Norton virus scan will be much faster now. It always
    took ages to get past there.
    Derek.

    Derek F., Jan 1, 2005
  13. Derek F.

    Guest

    bassbag wrote:
    > In article <cr464a$6v5$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "dadiOH" <> wrote in message

    is

    What

    > > > Every time you read a web page you download it. It stays in TIF

    until
    > > > you delete it or until the maximum capacity (set by you is

    reached)

    > > > To delete, use Internet Options, General tab, Delete. To set

    cache
    > > > size, same place but settings.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > dadiOH

    > > Been there, done that but I still have this 1.0 GB folder.
    > > Derek.
    > >

    > Errors can sometimes occur if your TIF is set for say 1 gig capacity

    ,and
    > filled, and then the folder size is altered to say half a gig ,in the

    > temp internet file settings.This can happen on a 98 machine though i

    > not sure about XP machines whether this can happen also.A scan at
    > pcpitstop will tell you if thats the problem .Try the full tests

    there...
    > http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp
    > me

    Would you beleive, I told a Java Programmer about Pit Stop and he could
    not even use the site??????

    , Jan 6, 2005