Temporary DVD's Bombing...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jordan Lund, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Jordan Lund, Oct 30, 2003

  2. "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60983,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1
    |
    | There's a piece of good news...
    |
    | FWIW, I think they're targeting the wrong market. The place to sell
    | these things is hotels.

    Another big market opportunity: all the DVD players in cars/vans/trucks. On
    a road trip it is very hard to rent and return DVDs, but temp-DVDs would be
    ideal. You could think about gas stations selling them.

    JaF
    Just a friend, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Jordan Lund

    El stinky Guest

    7 dollars a disc? On average a used DVD at a rental store costs 10 bucks and
    you get to keep it. On the road, Used DVDs can be found at any Flying J
    truck stop for 6.99. The selections in the used sections at places like
    schlockbuster and hollywood are only a couple weeks old. Every town has a
    RockBlaster and probably a hollywood video. this will fail. All the sales of
    these things will probably be generated from poor schmucks who don't pay
    attention to the word "disposable". Same as they don't pay attention to
    "Widescreen"

    --
    _________________________________
    Home Of The Tiltwheel

    El stinky, Oct 30, 2003
  4. >From: (Jordan Lund)

    >http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60983,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1
    >
    >There's a piece of good news...
    >
    >FWIW, I think they're targeting the wrong market. The place to sell
    >these things is hotels.

    The grocery store I shop at sells them but it's right next door to a Hollywood
    Video, and within walking distance of three other video stores. It makes no
    marketing sense. The whole thing is a bad idea. The only way I can see
    something like this working is if the DVDs weren't disposable, and what you
    were buying for 6.99 was the bare-bones movie, no extras, no inserts, etc.
    Something like that might work.
    Nick Macpherson, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Jordan Lund

    Mark B. Guest

    > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60983,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1
    >
    > There's a piece of good news...
    >
    > FWIW, I think they're targeting the wrong market. The place to sell
    > these things is hotels.
    >
    > - Jordan

    Hotels is a great idea. The cost wouldn't be much more than what they
    charge already, no need to worry about the movie getting stolen, and the
    environmentalists can be satisfied that for the most part, the hotel can
    collect & return them.

    Mark
    Mark B., Oct 31, 2003
  6. Jordan Lund

    Scott Higdon Guest

    In <Nbgob.84989$vj2.48017@fed1read06> El stinky wrote:
    > 7 dollars a disc? On average a used DVD at a rental store costs 10
    > bucks and you get to keep it. On the road, Used DVDs can be found at
    > any Flying J truck stop for 6.99. The selections in the used sections
    > at places like schlockbuster and hollywood are only a couple weeks old.
    > Every town has a RockBlaster and probably a hollywood video. this will
    > fail. All the sales of these things will probably be generated from
    > poor schmucks who don't pay attention to the word "disposable". Same
    > as they don't pay attention to "Widescreen"

    This whole thing is idiotic. Why put them in grocery stores? Nobody goes
    to a grocery store expecting to rent a DVD. You expect to be buying one
    there. Somebody completely fouled up the marketing on this. They should
    be offered at video rental stores as a "CHECK IT OUT, NO LATE FEES!!!"
    option in a special section.

    And the price. Jeez! I live in South Carolina(one of the places the
    article said they were selling them) and you can go to Wal-Mart and dig
    through the cheapo bin and get stuff for 5.88. And that stuff won't
    expire.
    Scott Higdon, Oct 31, 2003
  7. >And the price. Jeez! I live in South Carolina(one of the places the
    >article said they were selling them) and you can go to Wal-Mart and dig
    >through the cheapo bin and get stuff for 5.88. And that stuff won't
    >expire.

    The $5.88 bin is fine if you want a very small selection of major studio titles
    or a large selection of public domain titles. Try finding Signs in that bin.

    $6 is an awfully expensive rental. And no special features at that. No wonder
    this failed. At least it probably won't be around as long as Divx.

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
    revolving door.
    - Willy Walker
    Sydney Assbasket, Nov 1, 2003
  8. Jordan Lund

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    alt.video.dvd, Scott Higdon <> wrote:
    >This whole thing is idiotic. Why put them in grocery stores? Nobody goes
    >to a grocery store expecting to rent a DVD.

    Really? Wegmans seems to be doing quite well on DVD and video
    rentals.

    Lots of people go to the grocery store twice a week, or even more
    often. For them, renting a DVD at the grocery store is great because
    it's one less stop.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Nov 1, 2003
  9. "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message

    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60983,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

    > > There's a piece of good news...
    > >
    > > FWIW, I think they're targeting the wrong market. The place to sell
    > > these things is hotels.
    > >
    > > - Jordan

    > Hotels is a great idea. The cost wouldn't be much more than what they
    > charge already, no need to worry about the movie getting stolen, and the
    > environmentalists can be satisfied that for the most part, the hotel can
    > collect & return them.

    Ah, but most Hotels already have a pay-per-view movie system in their rooms,
    at $9.95 a viewing.
    Michael S. Cooper, Nov 1, 2003
  10. Jordan Lund

    Mike Davis Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > In article <> in
    > alt.video.dvd, Scott Higdon <> wrote:
    > >This whole thing is idiotic. Why put them in grocery stores? Nobody goes
    > >to a grocery store expecting to rent a DVD.

    > Really? Wegmans seems to be doing quite well on DVD and video
    > rentals.
    >
    > Lots of people go to the grocery store twice a week, or even more
    > often. For them, renting a DVD at the grocery store is great because
    > it's one less stop.
    >
    > --
    > Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
    > http://OakRoadSystems.com
    > DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    > other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/faqget.htm

    Hey Stan,
    While I very rarely rent, you make a good point. In fact, one of our
    local grocery stores has a HUGE rental section of DVD's that includes some
    rare Criterion discs. It may well have a better selection of films you might
    actually want to watch than the local Hollywood Video <ggg.> Evidently one
    of the asst. managers does all the ordering and must be quite the film buff,
    lots of foreign films too.
    All the best, Mike
    All the best, Mike
    Mike Davis, Nov 1, 2003
  11. Jordan Lund

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    On 30 Oct 2003 22:34:55 GMT, (Nick Macpherson) wrote:

    >The whole thing is a bad idea. The only way I can see
    >something like this working is if the DVDs weren't disposable, and what you
    >were buying for 6.99 was the bare-bones movie, no extras, no inserts, etc.
    >Something like that might work.

    Or if they were disposable and sold for $2 - $3 dollars. The one and only
    reason this is a failure is that the price is too high. Make it cheap and
    people will buy it.

    $6.99??? that's more expensive than PPV.
    Nomen Nescio, Nov 2, 2003
  12. Jordan Lund

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    <<Lots of people go to the grocery store twice a week, or even more
    often. For them, renting a DVD at the grocery store is great because
    it's one less stop.>>

    Yeah, and these people will be going back to the grocery store even more
    often to avoid late fees.

    And on the return trip, they might pick up a carton of cigarettes and/or
    a case of beer.

    These grocery store managers aren't stupid.
    Scot Gardner, Nov 2, 2003
  13. Jordan Lund

    Wade365 Guest

    << For them, renting a DVD at the grocery store is great because
    it's one less stop >>

    Or it's the only stop... friends of mine in Nederland Colorado, the grocery is
    all they have (no wait... there IS a video store) but they have an account at
    the grocery video store... Blockbuster hasn't made it that far into the hils
    yet I guess.
    Wade365, Nov 2, 2003