Temperature of P4-3.4GHz

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ClueLess, May 27, 2006.

  1. ClueLess

    ClueLess Guest

    Hi

    I have just got a P4-3.4GHz on an 865 mobo and even on starting the
    temperature of the CPU is shown as 68 deg C.

    I have checked Intel site but I am unable to make head or tail out of
    their data sheets as to which is the operating temperature. The data
    sheets say that the maximum temperature at 84 watts is 65 deg C.

    I am also very unhappy about the new CPU Cooler, the round one with
    four plastic legs that go through the motherboard to keep the cooler
    in position. It seems to be not self aligning and there is no way one
    can be sure that the cooler is seated properly on the CPU.

    Is that 68 deg C temperature safe? How to ensure that the fan is
    seated proper ?

    Thanks for any advice that can help me.

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, May 27, 2006

  2. ClueLess

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    ClueLess spewed forth:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have just got a P4-3.4GHz on an 865 mobo and even on starting the
    > temperature of the CPU is shown as 68 deg C.
    >
    > I have checked Intel site but I am unable to make head or tail out of
    > their data sheets as to which is the operating temperature. The data
    > sheets say that the maximum temperature at 84 watts is 65 deg C.
    >
    > I am also very unhappy about the new CPU Cooler, the round one with
    > four plastic legs that go through the motherboard to keep the cooler
    > in position. It seems to be not self aligning and there is no way one
    > can be sure that the cooler is seated properly on the CPU.

    Yeah - I hated that thing too. Be persistant: it /will/ work. I thought I
    was almost going to break the last one I installed, but I got it on
    correctly.

    > Is that 68 deg C temperature safe? How to ensure that the fan is
    > seated proper ?

    I didn't look up the specs, but that CPU has automatic throttling: if it
    gets too hot, it slows itself down until it cools off. So it's not likely to
    go up in flames <g>

    Toolman Tim, May 27, 2006

  3. ClueLess

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 27 May 2006 06:09:10 +0530, ClueLess wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have just got a P4-3.4GHz on an 865 mobo and even on starting the
    > temperature of the CPU is shown as 68 deg C.
    >
    > I have checked Intel site but I am unable to make head or tail out of
    > their data sheets as to which is the operating temperature. The data
    > sheets say that the maximum temperature at 84 watts is 65 deg C.
    >
    > I am also very unhappy about the new CPU Cooler, the round one with four
    > plastic legs that go through the motherboard to keep the cooler in
    > position. It seems to be not self aligning and there is no way one can
    > be sure that the cooler is seated properly on the CPU.
    >
    > Is that 68 deg C temperature safe? How to ensure that the fan is seated
    > proper ?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice that can help me.
    >
    > ClueLess

    Probably a Socket 775 and yeah, the heatsink/fan mounting on those boards
    suck royally. I've never understood why they have to completely redesign
    the fan mounting every time they change something in the processor. The
    Socket 478 brackets worked just fine. Regardless, make sure you've got a
    thin, even layer of Thermal Paste on the CPU before mounting the fan. The
    OEM stuff on the heatsink leaves a lot to be desired and should be removed
    and replaced with the thermal paste. If you can get it down to 45C it
    would be more comfortable.
    JTJersey, May 27, 2006
  4. ClueLess

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 27 May 2006 06:09:10 +0530, ClueLess wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have just got a P4-3.4GHz on an 865 mobo and even on starting the
    > temperature of the CPU is shown as 68 deg C.
    >
    > I have checked Intel site but I am unable to make head or tail out of
    > their data sheets as to which is the operating temperature. The data
    > sheets say that the maximum temperature at 84 watts is 65 deg C.
    >
    > I am also very unhappy about the new CPU Cooler, the round one with
    > four plastic legs that go through the motherboard to keep the cooler
    > in position. It seems to be not self aligning and there is no way one
    > can be sure that the cooler is seated properly on the CPU.
    >
    > Is that 68 deg C temperature safe? How to ensure that the fan is
    > seated proper ?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice that can help me.
    >
    > ClueLess

    68 is high.
    Meat Plow, May 27, 2006
  5. ClueLess

    Cyrus® Guest

    Cyrus®, May 27, 2006
  6. ClueLess

    ClueLess Guest

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 22:46:34 -0400, JTJersey <> wrote:

    >Probably a Socket 775 and yeah, the heatsink/fan mounting on those boards
    >suck royally. I've never understood why they have to completely redesign
    >the fan mounting every time they change something in the processor. The
    >Socket 478 brackets worked just fine. Regardless, make sure you've got a
    >thin, even layer of Thermal Paste on the CPU before mounting the fan. The
    >OEM stuff on the heatsink leaves a lot to be desired and should be removed
    >and replaced with the thermal paste. If you can get it down to 45C it
    >would be more comfortable.

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked again and found that once I
    have secured the two opposite fixing lugs I could not get the other
    two to sit properly - after fixing the third lug, if I try to press
    down the fourth one the third one pops up, meaning they are all not
    level - it was a boxed one and not damaged in any way.

    So after putting in the thermal paste I seated the cooler and used
    only two opposing lugs and made sure that was no rocking of the
    cooler.

    The temperature now shows in the range of 51 to 56 deg C.

    I wonder which clueless (?) moron thought of this type of fixing.

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, May 29, 2006
  7. ClueLess

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    ClueLess spewed forth:
    > On Fri, 26 May 2006 22:46:34 -0400, JTJersey <> wrote:
    >
    >> Probably a Socket 775 and yeah, the heatsink/fan mounting on those
    >> boards suck royally. I've never understood why they have to
    >> completely redesign the fan mounting every time they change
    >> something in the processor. The Socket 478 brackets worked just
    >> fine. Regardless, make sure you've got a thin, even layer of
    >> Thermal Paste on the CPU before mounting the fan. The OEM stuff on
    >> the heatsink leaves a lot to be desired and should be removed and
    >> replaced with the thermal paste. If you can get it down to 45C it
    >> would be more comfortable.

    > Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked again and found that once I
    > have secured the two opposite fixing lugs I could not get the other
    > two to sit properly - after fixing the third lug, if I try to press
    > down the fourth one the third one pops up, meaning they are all not
    > level - it was a boxed one and not damaged in any way.
    >
    > So after putting in the thermal paste I seated the cooler and used
    > only two opposing lugs and made sure that was no rocking of the
    > cooler.
    >
    > The temperature now shows in the range of 51 to 56 deg C.
    >
    > I wonder which clueless (?) moron thought of this type of fixing.

    LIke I said before, it is difficult, but not impossible to get all 4 in
    place (I got my friends all latched down). Maybe it would help to have a
    second pair of hands <grin>

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, May 29, 2006