    there's also an xscan60.cab folder, a CSC3-2004.crl file,
    and a favicon.ico file. Is every bit of it trash? If not, what's
    not?

    dh@., Oct 2, 2005

  2. dh@.

    JAD Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    > How to know which temp files to remove? I have two
    > folders on the C drive, both of which have a lot in them.
    >
    > The C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder has several folders in
    > it, and they have .dll files and other folders in them. There
    > are also a bunch of .TMP files. Should all of it be trashed?
    > If not, how to know what to hang onto?

    Delete all of them and keep them in the recycle bin for a few days, just to
    be sure that your scanner or something isn't using the folder for driver
    files.

    > The C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files folder has
    > a bunch of .gif files, .js files, and these suspicious looking
    > .exe's: nukem.exe hat.exe ROFL.exe
    > there are also .htm files, .asp files, .css files
    > there's also an xscan60.cab folder, a CSC3-2004.crl file,
    > and a favicon.ico file. Is every bit of it trash? If not, what's
    > not?

    lots of spyware and virus files there bud. You may have to clear them from
    safe mode.

    I.E. (if that's what you use) tools - internet options - delete files(all
    offline check box also) delete cookies- clear history. NONE are necessary.

    JAD, Oct 2, 2005

  3. dh@.

    Buffalo Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    > How to know which temp files to remove? I have two
    > folders on the C drive, both of which have a lot in them.
    >
    > The C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder has several folders in
    > it, and they have .dll files and other folders in them. There
    > are also a bunch of .TMP files. Should all of it be trashed?
    > If not, how to know what to hang onto?
    >
    > The C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files folder has
    > a bunch of .gif files, .js files, and these suspicious looking
    > .exe's: nukem.exe hat.exe ROFL.exe
    > there are also .htm files, .asp files, .css files
    > there's also an xscan60.cab folder, a CSC3-2004.crl file,
    > and a favicon.ico file. Is every bit of it trash? If not, what's
    > not?

    Delete the TIF files first. If using IE go to Control Panel, Internet Options
    and follow JAD's instructions.
    Close out and then reboot and immediately delete everthing in the
    C:\Windows\Temp folder, but not the folder itself.
    You may find that some of them 'are in use' or another message, and they won't
    delete. Those files might be being used by a program such as a firewall,
    scanner, etc. Delete the rest of them and then reboot again.
    Run a virus scan and an adware scan. You seem to be infected. (possibly
    nukem.exe, hat.exe, ROLF.exe and more)
    Put those terms in Google and find out.
    AdAware and SpyBot are two adware scanners that are free.
    SpywareBlaster, also free, prevents a lot of spyware from ever getting on your
    computer.

    Buffalo, Oct 2, 2005
  4. dh@.

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, says...

    www.ccleaner.com

    --
    Conor

    "You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
    Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

    Conor, Oct 2, 2005
  5. dh@.

    John Weiss Guest

    <dh@.> wrote...
    > How to know which temp files to remove? I have two
    > folders on the C drive, both of which have a lot in them.

    That's easy. Remove ALL of them! Any that are in use will refuse to be
    removed.

    Once you remove all you can, log in under a different user account (create one
    if you don't have another one). Remove the remaining Temp files under the other
    account.

    John Weiss, Oct 2, 2005
  6. dh@.

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 11:27:46 -0400, dh@. wrote:

    >How to know which temp files to remove? I have two
    >folders on the C drive, both of which have a lot in them.
    >
    >The C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder has several folders in
    >it, and they have .dll files and other folders in them. There
    >are also a bunch of .TMP files. Should all of it be trashed?
    >If not, how to know what to hang onto?

    Reboot first, then delete the entire contents of the folder.

    >The C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files folder has
    >a bunch of .gif files, .js files, and these suspicious looking
    >.exe's: nukem.exe hat.exe ROFL.exe
    >there are also .htm files, .asp files, .css files
    >there's also an xscan60.cab folder, a CSC3-2004.crl file,
    >and a favicon.ico file. Is every bit of it trash? If not, what's
    >not?

    Delete it anytime by Clicking Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, under "Temporary
    Internet Files", click the "Delete Files" button, check the box, "Delete all offline content",
    "OK". Now click the "Delete Cookies" button. After it finishes, click the "Settings" button and
    lower the amount of disk space to use to 10 Meg. Click "OK", "Apply". That will increase your
    hard drive space by how much was in that folder. I've seen it well over a gig. Folders that big
    are prone to crosslinked files. Clear it weekly, or sooner, especially if IE starts acting
    funny. You can automate the process by clicking the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to "Security",
    and check the box, "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed", click
    "Apply", "OK"

    Unk, Oct 3, 2005
  7. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 09:17:46 -0700, "JAD" <> wrote:

    ><dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    >> How to know which temp files to remove? I have two
    >> folders on the C drive, both of which have a lot in them.
    >>
    >> The C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder has several folders in
    >> it, and they have .dll files and other folders in them. There
    >> are also a bunch of .TMP files. Should all of it be trashed?
    >> If not, how to know what to hang onto?

    >Delete all of them and keep them in the recycle bin for a few days, just to
    >be sure that your scanner or something isn't using the folder for driver
    >files.

    I tried doing that, but the ones from Temporary Internet Files
    never showed up in the trash...they were just gone.

    >> The C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files folder has
    >> a bunch of .gif files, .js files, and these suspicious looking
    >> .exe's: nukem.exe hat.exe ROFL.exe
    >> there are also .htm files, .asp files, .css files
    >> there's also an xscan60.cab folder, a CSC3-2004.crl file,
    >> and a favicon.ico file. Is every bit of it trash? If not, what's
    >> not?

    >lots of spyware and virus files there bud.

    Not any more :) But why didn't HouseCall and/or Spybot
    ever do anything about them?

    >You may have to clear them from
    >safe mode.

    That was a weird one, to me. I trashed the ones from the TEMP
    folder in safe mode, and they showed up in the trash. I thought I
    managed to do the same thing for the other folder, but when I
    re-booted in normal mode they were still where they had been.
    So. I angrily went back into safe mode and tried trashing them
    again, but none of the icons were visible in the folder. The folder
    properties said: Size: 40.0MB Contains: 670 Files, 5 Folders
    but there were no icons visible. WTF? So I went back to normal
    mode, and there they still were, plainly visible. So again, I tried
    trashing them in normal mode and they all just disappeared...
    not even showing up in the trash. I wasn't even warned that
    some of them were .exe files, or asked if I was really sure I wanted
    to delete them. What's up with all that?

    >I.E. (if that's what you use)

    No, I use Netscape. I started with IE, and it taught me to hate
    it. Later I've had to use it for something once in a while, like
    HouseCall (I hate *having* to use it), but every time I use it, it
    makes me hate it some more.

    >tools - internet options - delete files(all
    >offline check box also) delete cookies- clear history. NONE are necessary.

    Thanks! I sure haven't missed any of the junk yet :)

    dh@., Oct 3, 2005
  8. dh@.

    DaveW Guest

    You may safely delete all the files in those Temp folders.

    --
    DaveW
    __________

    DaveW, Oct 4, 2005
  9. dh@.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I did a temp removal at work one day. Back when I worked in the wood mill.
    We'd often hire temps from the local temp agency to help us with odd jobs in
    the plant. Well, we got a couple of guys who spent the morning inserting
    little paper instruction leaflets into the millwork bundle before we
    shrinkwrapped it. Boy, were they grinning and joking about what an easy day
    they had. So after lunch, the foreman had me take them over to the
    crossworks machine. We were trimming the end of 6"x6"x8'0 wood posts so they
    were square on the ends. I'd had enough experience that I could feed that
    machine fast enough to get some sweat out of these guys. I'm a little under
    5'5", and back then I was fairly slight of build (not anymore - the desk job
    put some weight on me <g>) so these two burly 5'10 - 5'11 "professional"
    mill workers thought it was gonna be a breeze, just like the morning job. I
    don't think so!!! I cranked that thing up to its top speed and double fed
    it. These guys were on the other end sweating their asses off...heh
    heh...dropping posts, banging their hands up by setting posts down on
    them...it was hilarious! Two hours of that, then there was a 10 minute
    break. Guess who didn't show up to finish the shift? Yup...those big brawny
    whiners called it quits and walked off <grin>! Now THAT'S what I call TEMP
    removal!!

    Toolman Tim, Oct 4, 2005