    deleted. I can see the files are still there using Windows Explorer. While
    I'm here, how can I manually scan outpost firewall to check my hard drive?
    ============

    AK, Nov 13, 2003

  2. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    To completely empty your temporary internet files, close
    all instances of your browser, and go to Control Panel /
    Internet Options. Press 'Delete files' and put a check in
    the 'Include all offline content'. Refresh your Windows
    Explorer window. You can delete any cookies you do
    not want. The cookies that show in T.I.F. folder are just
    'shadows' of the physical files, that reside in Windows\Cookies
    folder. I find it best to use a third party cookie manager,
    like CookiePal, to effectively manage my cookies.
    http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

    What do you mean by "manually scan outpost firewall to
    check my hard drive"? Outpost is a firewall, NOT a hard
    drive utility. Please explain.

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:13:12 -0000, in
    <neUsb.1870$>
    AK scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 13, 2003

  3. AK

    Jerry G. Guest

    Some of the temps you will require for proper operation. As for the
    cookies, many of them are for the sites to remember specific set-ups and
    configurations for the next time you come back. There are many sites such
    as news and utility sites that will know what you last did, so they will not
    give you repeats of things you would normally not require.

    It is not recommended to delete cookies, unless you would want to get rid of
    some specific ones. Cookies are not as harmful as many of the myths make
    them out to be.

    Two megs of cache files are by far not enough to get worried about.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Nov 13, 2003
  4. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    Rubbish! Temporary internet files are NOT needed for
    proper operation. In fact, quite the opposite effect can
    be felt if incomplete/damaged temporary internet files
    remain in the cache - which should be cleared regularly.

    The only reason to keep temporary internet files would
    be if you visited the same sites on a regular basis, *and*
    the content of those sites do *not* change.

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:23:48 -0500, in
    <bp13vs$a8p$>
    Jerry G. scrawled:

    >Some of the temps you will require for proper operation.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 13, 2003
  5. AK

    AK Guest

    Thanks Mike I was clicking the small Cookie-Pal icon at the bottom of the
    computer, as I thought this would allow me to scan my HD. I then noticed an
    icon had been placed on my desktop, I clicked that and was able to scan OK.
    I'm afraid I don't know how to use a third party cookie manager.
    ========

    AK, Nov 13, 2003
  6. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    I have *no* idea what you are talking about. You have
    now switch from Outpost to Cookie Pal as a HD scanner!!

    Cookie Pal is a third party cookie manager, and is simplicity
    itself to use. You tell it to reject ALL cookies except those
    in your exclusion filter ... voila!

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:44:39 -0000, in
    <SHUsb.1885$>
    AK scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 13, 2003
  7. AK

    AK Guest

    Sorry Mike, the brain has stop't working again. I did what you suggested a
    while ago and downloaded Cookie-Pal and Outpost. Outpost placed a small icon
    in the bottom bar of my computer. Cookie-Pal placed an icon on my desktop,
    and I was getting mixed-up with the two of them. I thought Outpost scanned
    my HD for spyware and cookies and I wanted to clean it up. I really don't
    know how to use it, so I usually just leave it alone to do it's own thing.
    Think I will in future.
    =========

    AK, Nov 14, 2003
  8. AK

    AK Guest

    I've made another BOOB Mike, It's Skybot I have on my desktop. What makes
    Brain Cells? I want to double mine to TWO.
    =========

    AK, Nov 14, 2003
  9. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    No, Outpost is a firewall - it prevents unauthorised access
    to and from your computer. It is best to set it to the
    "learning mode", or rules wizard. Right click on the system
    tray icon and choose 'Policy / Rules Wizard'.

    Cookie Pal is a cookie manager, and if the icon is not in your
    system tray, then you don't have it set to run at startup.
    This can be set by double clicking the icon on the desktop,
    then double click the system tray (Cookie Pal) icon and go
    to the 'Configure' tab. Check either 'Start with browser',
    or 'Start with Windows'. Then make a note of all of the
    sites you use that you would like to accept cookies from.
    Go to the 'Filters' tab and add each site (ie. hotmail.com,
    msn.com, windowsupdate.microsoft.com etc.) by pressing
    'New' for each site. Check 'Reject all', check 'Reject third
    party cookies', uncheck 'Accept cookies that expire...'
    On the 'Cookies' tab, you can view what cookies are already
    on your system, and delete those you don't want directly
    from there.

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:07:07 -0000, in
    <V0Vsb.1909$>
    AK scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  10. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    Skybot? Is that what removes spyware from your
    satellite channels?

    SpyBot Search & Destroy.

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:14:13 -0000, in
    <z7Vsb.1917$>
    AK scrawled:

    >I've made another BOOB Mike, It's Skybot I have on my
    >desktop. What makes Brain Cells? I want to double mine
    >to TWO.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  11. AK

    AK Guest

    Satellite channels? Do I need Spybot? Would I be better of down-loading
    Cookie-Pal?
    =====

    AK, Nov 14, 2003
  12. AK

    °Mike° Guest

    That was a joke, AK. You said "Skybot" ... Sky satellite!?
    <Sigh!>

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:29:39 -0000, in
    <1mVsb.1926$>
    AK scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  13. AK

    AK Guest

    It's far to late for me Mike, I did not even notice my misprint. I'll have
    to rest my single brain cell now. I will need your help again no doubt.
    Night-Night.

    AK, Nov 14, 2003
  14. AK

    °Mike° Guest