TelstraClear's NNTP server...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. I called TelstraClear.

    The "residential" phone line advised a 75 minute expected wait time before
    I could expect to speak to a person.

    So I called the business phone line and after a few brief choices I spoke
    almost immediately to a person.

    I reported the fault with the NNTP server and asked him if it had been
    reported to them previously. He said that it had been reported several
    times, but was not sure if a fault had been logged.

    At LEAST he actually new what a newsgroup server was!

    He suggested that I should call the residential phone Nr. I told him what
    I thought of that suggestion and asked him to report the fault.

    Do I expect him to actually log a job to get Clear's NNTP server peering
    correctly again... no.

    Clearly (pardon the pun) TelstraClear needs to up the data allocation if,
    only two weeks into the month, it stops peering as it should!

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Arno Edelmann: "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products."
    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 19, 2007

  2. Dianthus Mimulus

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus <> wrote in news:45fe4176$1
    @clear.net.nz:

    > Do I expect him to actually log a job to get Clear's NNTP server peering
    > correctly again... no.
    >
    > Clearly (pardon the pun) TelstraClear needs to up the data allocation if,
    > only two weeks into the month, it stops peering as it should!

    There was an old job, T1248990. This was from 2006, specifically about
    this issue. It should be re-opened in my opinion.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 19, 2007

  3. Dianthus Mimulus

    thingy Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > I called TelstraClear.
    >
    > The "residential" phone line advised a 75 minute expected wait time before
    > I could expect to speak to a person.
    >
    > So I called the business phone line and after a few brief choices I spoke
    > almost immediately to a person.
    >
    > I reported the fault with the NNTP server and asked him if it had been
    > reported to them previously. He said that it had been reported several
    > times, but was not sure if a fault had been logged.
    >
    > At LEAST he actually new what a newsgroup server was!
    >
    > He suggested that I should call the residential phone Nr. I told him what
    > I thought of that suggestion and asked him to report the fault.
    >

    > Do I expect him to actually log a job to get Clear's NNTP server peering
    > correctly again... no.
    >
    > Clearly (pardon the pun) TelstraClear needs to up the data allocation if,
    > only two weeks into the month, it stops peering as it should!

    As a business customer of theirs I will ring them....

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2007
  4. Dianthus Mimulus

    thingy Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    >> I called TelstraClear.
    >>
    >> The "residential" phone line advised a 75 minute expected wait time
    >> before
    >> I could expect to speak to a person.
    >>
    >> So I called the business phone line and after a few brief choices I spoke
    >> almost immediately to a person.
    >>
    >> I reported the fault with the NNTP server and asked him if it had been
    >> reported to them previously. He said that it had been reported several
    >> times, but was not sure if a fault had been logged.
    >>
    >> At LEAST he actually new what a newsgroup server was!
    >>
    >> He suggested that I should call the residential phone Nr. I told him what
    >> I thought of that suggestion and asked him to report the fault.
    >>

    >> Do I expect him to actually log a job to get Clear's NNTP server peering
    >> correctly again... no.
    >>
    >> Clearly (pardon the pun) TelstraClear needs to up the data allocation if,
    >> only two weeks into the month, it stops peering as it should!
    >>

    > As a business customer of theirs I will ring them....
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    hrrm...help desk needs work...I rang the business line and they
    transferred me to residential....they dont seem to have the concept that
    business customers might actually use USENET.

    "Oh, that server has used its allocation for the month"....OK as a
    business customer maybe I wont pay the entire month's bill then....

    Arrg....they cannot have a sys admin worth 50cents...they dont know how
    to block binaries etc....

    Oh and its also free....funny but when did the news service become
    free....oh when we want to dis-connect it....how very convenient...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2007
  5. Dianthus Mimulus

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:33:14 +1200, thingy
    <> wrote:

    >thingy wrote:
    >> Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    >>> I called TelstraClear.
    >>>
    >>> The "residential" phone line advised a 75 minute expected wait time
    >>> before
    >>> I could expect to speak to a person.
    >>>
    >>> So I called the business phone line and after a few brief choices I spoke
    >>> almost immediately to a person.
    >>>
    >>> I reported the fault with the NNTP server and asked him if it had been
    >>> reported to them previously. He said that it had been reported several
    >>> times, but was not sure if a fault had been logged.
    >>>
    >>> At LEAST he actually new what a newsgroup server was!
    >>>
    >>> He suggested that I should call the residential phone Nr. I told him what
    >>> I thought of that suggestion and asked him to report the fault.
    >>>

    >>> Do I expect him to actually log a job to get Clear's NNTP server peering
    >>> correctly again... no.
    >>>
    >>> Clearly (pardon the pun) TelstraClear needs to up the data allocation if,
    >>> only two weeks into the month, it stops peering as it should!
    >>>

    >> As a business customer of theirs I will ring them....
    >>
    >> ;]
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    >hrrm...help desk needs work...I rang the business line and they
    >transferred me to residential....they dont seem to have the concept that
    >business customers might actually use USENET.
    >
    >"Oh, that server has used its allocation for the month"....OK as a
    >business customer maybe I wont pay the entire month's bill then....
    >
    >Arrg....they cannot have a sys admin worth 50cents...they dont know how
    >to block binaries etc....
    >
    >Oh and its also free....funny but when did the news service become
    >free....oh when we want to dis-connect it....how very convenient...

    That's what Xtra said before they dumped it.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand
    Brian Dooley, Mar 19, 2007
  6. Dianthus Mimulus

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, brian-
    says...
    > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:33:14 +1200, thingy
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >thingy wrote:

    > >> As a business customer of theirs I will ring them....
    > >>
    > >> ;]
    > >>
    > >> regards
    > >>
    > >> Thing

    > >hrrm...help desk needs work...I rang the business line and they
    > >transferred me to residential....they dont seem to have the concept that
    > >business customers might actually use USENET.
    > >
    > >"Oh, that server has used its allocation for the month"....OK as a
    > >business customer maybe I wont pay the entire month's bill then....
    > >
    > >Arrg....they cannot have a sys admin worth 50cents...they dont know how
    > >to block binaries etc....
    > >
    > >Oh and its also free....funny but when did the news service become
    > >free....oh when we want to dis-connect it....how very convenient...

    > That's what Xtra said before they dumped it.

    In advance, are there any free newsservers that carry the nz. hierachy?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 19, 2007
  7. Dianthus Mimulus

    thingy Guest

    Brian Dooley wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:33:14 +1200, thingy
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> As a business customer of theirs I will ring them....
    >>>
    >>> ;]
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing

    >> hrrm...help desk needs work...I rang the business line and they
    >> transferred me to residential....they dont seem to have the concept that
    >> business customers might actually use USENET.
    >>
    >> "Oh, that server has used its allocation for the month"....OK as a
    >> business customer maybe I wont pay the entire month's bill then....
    >>
    >> Arrg....they cannot have a sys admin worth 50cents...they dont know how
    >> to block binaries etc....
    >>
    >> Oh and its also free....funny but when did the news service become
    >> free....oh when we want to dis-connect it....how very convenient...

    > That's what Xtra said before they dumped it.

    That is exactly what the Clear help desk said....

    Its like Xtra dumped it so we will too....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2007
  8. Dianthus Mimulus

    thingy Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, brian-
    > says...
    >> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:33:14 +1200, thingy
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> hrrm...help desk needs work...I rang the business line and they
    >>> transferred me to residential....they dont seem to have the concept that
    >>> business customers might actually use USENET.
    >>>
    >>> "Oh, that server has used its allocation for the month"....OK as a
    >>> business customer maybe I wont pay the entire month's bill then....
    >>>
    >>> Arrg....they cannot have a sys admin worth 50cents...they dont know how
    >>> to block binaries etc....
    >>>
    >>> Oh and its also free....funny but when did the news service become
    >>> free....oh when we want to dis-connect it....how very convenient...

    >> That's what Xtra said before they dumped it.

    > In advance, are there any free newsservers that carry the nz. hierachy?

    Not that I can find....

    Problem is getting overseas people to peer, I tried so I could bypass
    clear's but found no one willing....Also the disk and bandwidth
    requirements for a decent free news server are quite hefty, hence ISPs
    lock them down to their own network only...then there is the problem of
    psycho abusers like bedwetter....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2007
  9. Dianthus Mimulus

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, y
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <>, brian-
    > > says...

    > >> That's what Xtra said before they dumped it.

    > > In advance, are there any free newsservers that carry the nz. hierachy?
    > >

    > Not that I can find....
    >
    > Problem is getting overseas people to peer, I tried so I could bypass
    > clear's but found no one willing....Also the disk and bandwidth
    > requirements for a decent free news server are quite hefty, hence ISPs
    > lock them down to their own network only...then there is the problem of
    > psycho abusers like bedwetter....

    In terms of an ISP though, the hardware is surely a small part of the
    budget. You can buy a helluva server these says for 20K and a helluva
    disk array for another 20K. Well that's my opinion on it.

    With 80K groups, the TS server is by far the best in the country - it'll
    be a great shame to loose it.

    PS: NOT TOO SURE WHO YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT - BEDWETTER - I DON'T BOTHER
    WITH MANY OF THE NZ GROUPS. aM I CLOSE THOUGH? - LOL.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 19, 2007
  10. Dianthus Mimulus

    thingy Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, y
    > says...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <>, brian-
    >>> says...

    >>> In advance, are there any free newsservers that carry the nz. hierachy?
    >>>

    >> Not that I can find....
    >>
    >> Problem is getting overseas people to peer, I tried so I could bypass
    >> clear's but found no one willing....Also the disk and bandwidth
    >> requirements for a decent free news server are quite hefty, hence ISPs
    >> lock them down to their own network only...then there is the problem of
    >> psycho abusers like bedwetter....

    > In terms of an ISP though, the hardware is surely a small part of the
    > budget. You can buy a helluva server these says for 20K and a helluva
    > disk array for another 20K. Well that's my opinion on it.

    Agreed, mostly its the pictures though, if you ban binaries it is far
    more reasonable. You can and should set to expire (which will free up
    disk) so I assume disk capacity is not the issue, bandwidth consumption
    is...

    From talking to sys admins who left Clear (many months back), the place
    is a disaster, no budget to do work and huge pressure to fix things....I
    was told their entire financial system was spread across several
    different non-interacting applications and the sys admins were told to
    "fix it"....6 months later they were asked by management why it had not
    been done....the answer was we asked for a budget and time....none was
    forthcoming, so no budget and no time = no work...

    > With 80K groups, the TS server is by far the best in the country - it'll
    > be a great shame to loose it.

    If I could have got peering I would have run one, but no one wants to
    peer to NZ...there are some NZer admins in the UK and USA who would like
    to peer the nz groups....

    > PS: NOT TOO SURE WHO YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT - BEDWETTER - I DON'T BOTHER
    > WITH MANY OF THE NZ GROUPS. aM I CLOSE THOUGH? - LOL.

    Not important...

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2007
  11. Dianthus Mimulus

    none Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > In terms of an ISP though, the hardware is surely a small part of the
    > budget. You can buy a helluva server these says for 20K and a helluva
    > disk array for another 20K. Well that's my opinion on it.

    In the grand scheme of things though, NNTP/Usenet is used by a tiny
    sliver of the internet dwelling population, particularly in New Zealand.

    You might have noticed that the number of people posting in this group
    doesn't really number that high, particularly for regulars.

    Trying to make a business case for NNTP infrastructure is hardly going
    to bring the beancounters running with the chequebook.
    none, Mar 19, 2007
  12. Dianthus Mimulus

    Mathew Good Guest

    TelstraClear's NNTP server...No back UP..

    Just got some 265 headers..
    Mathew Good, Mar 19, 2007
  13. In article <>, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In advance, are there any free newsservers that carry the nz. hierachy?

    At least some of them here ... nntp.aioe.org ... which last year at least
    was slow and flaky, but this year has been mostly excellent. There have been
    other suggestions recently too IIRC.
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 20, 2007
  14. Dianthus Mimulus

    Mathew Good Guest

    TelstraClear's NNTP server...Now back UP..

    Just got some 265 headers..
    Mathew Good, Mar 20, 2007
  15. none wrote:
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> In terms of an ISP though, the hardware is surely a small part of the
    >> budget. You can buy a helluva server these says for 20K and a helluva
    >> disk array for another 20K. Well that's my opinion on it.

    > In the grand scheme of things though, NNTP/Usenet is used by a tiny
    > sliver of the internet dwelling population, particularly in New Zealand.
    >
    > You might have noticed that the number of people posting in this group
    > doesn't really number that high, particularly for regulars.
    >
    > Trying to make a business case for NNTP infrastructure is hardly going
    > to bring the beancounters running with the chequebook.

    On the scale of things NZ.COMP and NZ.GEN are among the top used groups world
    wide based on the populations involved
    Collector»NZ, Mar 20, 2007
  16. Re: TelstraClear's NNTP server...No back UP..

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:55:52 +1200, Mathew Good <mg wrote:

    > Just got some 265 headers..

    What is a 265 header? And how many of them did you get? ;o)

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 20, 2007
  17. Dianthus Mimulus

    Tony Guest

    Move to http://xnet.co.nz