    viable riping the roads up etc, but why on earth would they not wire new
    subdivisions along with all the other utility companies? Only Telecom appears
    to be doing it.

    Craig Shore, May 4, 2007

  2. Craig Shore

    Ken Guest

    On Fri, 04 May 2007 21:40:12 +1200, Craig Shore <> wrote:

    >You gotta wonder if these guys are serious about competing here, or if they just
    >want to resell Telecom services here now.
    >I realise they stopped wiring the last of ChCh because it wasn't economically
    >viable riping the roads up etc, but why on earth would they not wire new
    >subdivisions along with all the other utility companies? Only Telecom appears
    >to be doing it.

    Its all to do with Profit, if they fit it to a suburb and the take up is low, then its just not
    worth it..

    Cable systems are not cheap at all to install, about a 1000 time more costly than a phone line..

    Ken , May 4, 2007

  3. Craig Shore

    Rob Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > You gotta wonder if these guys are serious about competing here, or if
    > they just
    > want to resell Telecom services here now.
    > I realise they stopped wiring the last of ChCh because it wasn't
    > economically
    > viable riping the roads up etc, but why on earth would they not wire new
    > subdivisions along with all the other utility companies? Only Telecom
    > appears
    > to be doing it.

    I had been wondering the same thing. However from what I have heard, telstra
    have invested very little in their fibre network since they took over
    saturn, who paid for all the installation. I believe that they are intending
    to use telecoms network going forward, and have no intention of having their
    own seperate network due to it costing too much to install. I expect that
    eventually their fibre optic network will be discontinued due to it being
    expensive to maintain.

    Rob, May 4, 2007
  4. Craig Shore

    Rob Guest

    <Ken > wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 May 2007 21:40:12 +1200, Craig Shore
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>You gotta wonder if these guys are serious about competing here, or if
    >>they just
    >>want to resell Telecom services here now.
    >>I realise they stopped wiring the last of ChCh because it wasn't
    >>economically
    >>viable riping the roads up etc, but why on earth would they not wire new
    >>subdivisions along with all the other utility companies? Only Telecom
    >>appears
    >>to be doing it.
    >>

    > Its all to do with Profit, if they fit it to a suburb and the take up is
    > low, then its just not
    > worth it..
    >
    > Cable systems are not cheap at all to install, about a 1000 time more
    > costly than a phone line..

    Are you sure about that. I would have thought that most of the cost is in
    the labour when laying lines. Maybe the line is more expensive and the
    hardware at the end of the lines...

    Rob, May 4, 2007
  5. Craig Shore

    Rob S Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> You gotta wonder if these guys are serious about competing here, or if
    >> they just
    >> want to resell Telecom services here now.
    >> I realise they stopped wiring the last of ChCh because it wasn't
    >> economically
    >> viable riping the roads up etc, but why on earth would they not wire new
    >> subdivisions along with all the other utility companies? Only Telecom
    >> appears
    >> to be doing it.
    >>

    > I had been wondering the same thing. However from what I have heard, telstra
    > have invested very little in their fibre network since they took over
    > saturn, who paid for all the installation. I believe that they are intending
    > to use telecoms network going forward, and have no intention of having their
    > own seperate network due to it costing too much to install. I expect that
    > eventually their fibre optic network will be discontinued due to it being
    > expensive to maintain.

    I certainly hope not. I've been on TC cable for 3 years now (4Mb both
    ways) and I very rarely have anything to grumble about. Just the usual
    news server bandwidth problem and once in a blue moon I've had to reset
    my modem (3 times so far). I'd hate to have to go ADSL after all the
    complaints I see about it in this group.

    --

    Rob

    A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

    Rob S, May 5, 2007
  6. Craig Shore

    peterwn Guest

    On May 4, 9:40 pm, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    > You gotta wonder if these guys are serious about competing here, or if they just
    > want to resell Telecom services here now.
    > I realise they stopped wiring the last of ChCh because it wasn't economically
    > viable riping the roads up etc, but why on earth would they not wire new
    > subdivisions along with all the other utility companies? Only Telecom appears
    > to be doing it.

    A developer must in general provide essential utility services - being
    water, stormwater, sewage, power, basic telephone cabling and in some
    cases gas. The developer is required to meet all costs of water,
    sewage and stormwater reticulation and in many cases as I understand
    it, a levy for general network upgrading. With respect to the others,
    there is some element of competition, so this may restrain costs
    lumbered on to the developer. It would seem TelstraClear is not
    prepared to install 'cable' unless there is a developer contribution.
    with availability of Sky satellite, there is no real pressure on
    developers to meet the cost of 'cable'. The remaining thing is
    broadband of some sort which can sometimes ride on the back of
    telephone pairs, except where Telecom use fibre optic to near the
    subdivision ond copper thereafter. Several years ago, installing DSL
    'heads' at such points was uneconomic, what the situation is now, I
    do not know. A shrewd developer will need to assess carefully what to
    provide as increasing customer awareness the developer will have
    trouble selling lots if there is no broadband of any sort.

    peterwn, May 5, 2007
  7. Craig Shore

    bob Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >> "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >>> You gotta wonder if these guys are serious about competing here, or
    >>> if they just
    >>> want to resell Telecom services here now.
    >>> I realise they stopped wiring the last of ChCh because it wasn't
    >>> economically
    >>> viable riping the roads up etc, but why on earth would they not wire new
    >>> subdivisions along with all the other utility companies? Only
    >>> Telecom appears
    >>> to be doing it.
    >>>

    >> I had been wondering the same thing. However from what I have heard,
    >> telstra have invested very little in their fibre network since they
    >> took over saturn, who paid for all the installation. I believe that
    >> they are intending to use telecoms network going forward, and have no
    >> intention of having their own seperate network due to it costing too
    >> much to install. I expect that eventually their fibre optic network
    >> will be discontinued due to it being expensive to maintain.
    >>

    > I certainly hope not. I've been on TC cable for 3 years now (4Mb both
    > ways) and I very rarely have anything to grumble about. Just the usual
    > news server bandwidth problem and once in a blue moon I've had to reset
    > my modem (3 times so far). I'd hate to have to go ADSL after all the
    > complaints I see about it in this group.

    Had cable, moved to an area without.... I want my cable back, connection
    on adsl is soooo slow.

    bob, May 6, 2007
  8. Craig Shore

    Paul Guest

    hi All

    There was an article in last weeks paper in Wellington, stating that
    Telstraclear were upgrading all the cable network lines in Wellington and
    Christchurch (and hopefully Kapiti).

    This was going to give users world class broadband speeds and they are also
    going to release the own PVRs fro their cable TV, as this had been a service
    that Sky provides that they haven't been able to match.

    Anybody out there have any ideas when their PVRs or going to be available?

    I had to help my mother in law with her sort out her email problems today
    and I must give full praise to the Telstraclear\Paradise help desk staff. My
    Mother in law knows nothing about computers and I had her phone on speaker
    phone so I could help her with resetting her account. The help desk person
    was incredibly patient, courteous and helpful, he talked her through
    resetting her account up and had the patients of a saint. Well-done
    Telstraclear\Paradise.

    Paul, May 6, 2007