Telstraclear/Paradise Email Servers Outage

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jonno, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. Jonno

    Jonno Guest

    From the website:
    'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
    Our technicians are currently working on this.
    Please do not change your password'.

    Oh goody

    Jonno, Nov 8, 2010

  2. Jonno

    ato2

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Newe Plymouth
    Exactly. Same problem even now, at 8.10am.:-x
    What is the story with telstraclear: is it just a third tier reseller, or something? They don't even have a way that I can check how many texts that I have used!

    ato2, Nov 8, 2010

  3. Jonno

    Cima Guest

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:13:45 +1300, "Jonno" <> wrote:

    >From the website:
    >'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
    >Our technicians are currently working on this.
    >Please do not change your password'.
    >
    >Oh goody

    Yippie ki-yay. One of my pop3 boxes wouldn't connect at all yesterday so I was
    going to call the hell-desk this morning. I think I'll pass as no doubt the wait
    time will be in hours rather than minutes.

    Cima, Nov 8, 2010
  4. Jonno

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 08:47:09 +1300, Allistar <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Cima wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:13:45 +1300, "Jonno" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>From the website:
    >>>'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
    >>>Our technicians are currently working on this.
    >>>Please do not change your password'.
    >>>
    >>>Oh goody
    >>>

    >> Yippie ki-yay. One of my pop3 boxes wouldn't connect at all yesterday so I
    >> was going to call the hell-desk this morning. I think I'll pass as no
    >> doubt the wait time will be in hours rather than minutes.

    >While I have a telstra-clear email account (can't avoid it when they are
    >your ISP) I don't use it for anything. It's dirt cheap to register your own
    >domain and pay for email hosting from a commercial email host provider. No
    >problems when you decide to change ISPs either.

    Same here. Xtra is my ISP, so I have an Xtra email account> But I've
    never used the address and have set up the crap Xtra-Yahoo Bubble
    interface to forward any mail to my excellent mail service account
    (Fastmail). Ironically, except for the occasional message from Xtra,
    all the rest is Spam - even though I've never used the address.

    Donchano, Nov 8, 2010
  5. Jonno

    Jonno Guest

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:13:45 +1300, "Jonno" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>From the website:
    >>'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
    >>Our technicians are currently working on this.
    >>Please do not change your password'.
    >>
    >>Oh goody
    >>

    > Yippie ki-yay. One of my pop3 boxes wouldn't connect at all yesterday so I
    > was
    > going to call the hell-desk this morning. I think I'll pass as no doubt
    > the wait
    > time will be in hours rather than minutes.

    Yep, "Nows (errrrrrrrrrummmmm not so) Good" :-(

    Jonno, Nov 8, 2010
  6. Jonno

    Cima Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 08:47:09 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Cima wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:13:45 +1300, "Jonno" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>From the website:
    >>>'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
    >>>Our technicians are currently working on this.
    >>>Please do not change your password'.
    >>>
    >>>Oh goody
    >>>

    >> Yippie ki-yay. One of my pop3 boxes wouldn't connect at all yesterday so I
    >> was going to call the hell-desk this morning. I think I'll pass as no
    >> doubt the wait time will be in hours rather than minutes.

    >While I have a telstra-clear email account (can't avoid it when they are
    >your ISP) I don't use it for anything. It's dirt cheap to register your own
    >domain and pay for email hosting from a commercial email host provider. No
    >problems when you decide to change ISPs either.

    I think I'll look into something like that. Any recommendations?

    Cima, Nov 8, 2010
  7. Jonno

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:35:34 +1300, Allistar <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >There are so many out there. I prefer dealing with NZ companies, so I use
    >freeparking.co.nz for my hosting and email servers.

    So did I before Freeparking and WebFarm were sold to an Australian
    company a few years back. Then I discovered how much more I was paying
    for my domain registration and webhosting by dealing with them.

    After a lot of research and reading online customer reviews, I hooked
    up with GoDaddy in the US. The savings were - and continue to be -
    massive.

    Unfortunately, there is no NZ webhosting service that I know of which
    can even come close in terms of pricing, features *and* value for
    money. But I like to keep my webhosting and email accounts separate,
    so I use Fastmail.net as my mail server.

    Donchano, Nov 8, 2010
  8. Jonno

    Jonno Guest

    "Jonno" <> wrote in message
    > From the website:
    > 'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
    > Our technicians are currently working on this.
    > Please do not change your password'.
    >
    > Oh goody

    Seems to be restored ?

    Their website says:
    "Currently customers may be experiencing a loss of service to their Email;
    this also appears to be affecting Webmail. Outlook will be able to send
    e-mail but not receive.

    ** Up-date **

    Technicians have worked on the issue overnight and some customers have had
    their services restored this morning. We expect services will be fully
    restored by this afternoon.

    Mail stores are being restored at present..

    Our focus is on restoring email as soon as possible without losing customer
    emails. We anticipate no customer emails would have been lost as a result of
    the outage, however we cannot confirm this until all email servers are
    restored.

    As you can imagine, our call centres are experiencing heavy call volumes and
    we are advising customers that unless their query is urgent, they kindly
    call back another time.

    We will update you as the day progresses."

    I guess, 'Now's (nearly) Good' (but could be better)?

    I love the bit about "unless their call is urgent, ---kindly call back
    another time."
    Normally, when ringing their call centre, the wait time is tantamount to
    calling back at "another time" anyway. LOL

    Jonno, Nov 9, 2010
  9. Jonno

    David Empson Guest

    Jonno <> wrote:

    > "Jonno" <> wrote in message
    > > From the website:
    > > 'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
    > > Our technicians are currently working on this.
    > > Please do not change your password'.
    > >
    > > Oh goody
    > >

    > Seems to be restored ?

    Seems to be restored for SOME accounts. Two of my personal ones are
    responding (one clear.net.nz, one paradise.net.nz), but my work one is
    stalling at the "sending password" stage, or reporting a "service
    temporarily unavailable" error.

    No evidence that new e-mail is arriving yet. I can't tell if I lost
    anything as those two accounts are normally unused, and a test message I
    sent myself hasn't arrived after 5 minutes.

    Outgoing mail has been OK since this morning, and I didn't try sending
    anything last night during the outage.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Nov 9, 2010
  10. Jonno

    Cima Guest

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:45:35 +1300, (David Empson) wrote:

    >Jonno <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jonno" <> wrote in message
    >> > From the website:
    >> > 'Telstraclear has lost contact with their e-mail servers.
    >> > Our technicians are currently working on this.
    >> > Please do not change your password'.
    >> >
    >> > Oh goody
    >> >

    >> Seems to be restored ?

    >Seems to be restored for SOME accounts. Two of my personal ones are
    >responding (one clear.net.nz, one paradise.net.nz), but my work one is
    >stalling at the "sending password" stage, or reporting a "service
    >temporarily unavailable" error.
    >
    >No evidence that new e-mail is arriving yet. I can't tell if I lost
    >anything as those two accounts are normally unused, and a test message I
    >sent myself hasn't arrived after 5 minutes.
    >
    >Outgoing mail has been OK since this morning, and I didn't try sending
    >anything last night during the outage.

    Slowly trickling through for me now. Had a small number from early this morning
    just arrive.

    Cima, Nov 9, 2010
  11. Jonno

    David Empson Guest

    Cima <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:45:35 +1300, (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > >Jonno <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Jonno" <> wrote in message

    > >> Seems to be restored ?

    > >Seems to be restored for SOME accounts. Two of my personal ones are
    > >responding (one clear.net.nz, one paradise.net.nz), but my work one is
    > >stalling at the "sending password" stage, or reporting a "service
    > >temporarily unavailable" error.
    > >
    > >No evidence that new e-mail is arriving yet. I can't tell if I lost
    > >anything as those two accounts are normally unused, and a test message I
    > >sent myself hasn't arrived after 5 minutes.
    > >
    > >Outgoing mail has been OK since this morning, and I didn't try sending
    > >anything last night during the outage.

    > Slowly trickling through for me now. Had a small number from early this
    > morning just arrive.

    My test message to my personal account just appeared. My work account is
    now accepting POP3 connections but hasn't received any mail yet.

    Looks like it is up and catching up on incoming mail as other MTAs retry
    delivery to TelstraClear.

    Assuming TelstraClear has restored all of the accounts, of course.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Nov 9, 2010
  12. Jonno

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 15:26:24 +1300, Jonno wrote:

    > Our focus is on restoring email as soon as possible without losing
    > customer emails. We anticipate no customer emails would have been lost
    > as a result of the outage, however we cannot confirm this until all
    > email servers are restored.

    My guess this spectacular failure was either a SAN or database.

    Wonder what make/model of SAN they're using?

    Sweetpea, Nov 9, 2010
  13. Jonno

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10/11/10 07:50, EMB wrote:
    > On 9/11/2010 11:07 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
    >> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 15:26:24 +1300, Jonno wrote:
    >>
    >>> Our focus is on restoring email as soon as possible without losing
    >>> customer emails. We anticipate no customer emails would have been lost
    >>> as a result of the outage, however we cannot confirm this until all
    >>> email servers are restored.

    >> My guess this spectacular failure was either a SAN or database.
    >>
    >> Wonder what make/model of SAN they're using?

    > At that level of enterprise it is most likely a product of the Excessive
    > Margin Corporation.

    They don't make SANs do they? I thought that they made IP based 'storage
    solutions' that require excessive amounts of programming to access.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Nov 9, 2010