TelstraClear new digital cable TV service...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nospam, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    A bit of info for those that received the TelstraClear digital cable TV
    mailout in the last week...

    Even at the steep $199 price tag to upgrade from analog service to digital
    tv, plus $5 extra per month, I decided to upgrade.

    They came out today to do my upgarde. I briefly saw it going, but cancelled
    the upgrade mid way through. My primary reason for wanting to upgrade was so
    that I could get better options for connecting to my plasma TV, which really
    shows some of the short comings of composite video.

    Unfortunately they've bought really cheap ass digital decoders, and I'd
    still only have the option of connecting to my TV using crappy composite
    cable. I had really hoped for component video, or RGB, or if I was really
    lucky something like DVI or VGA. Instead, this box didnt even have s-video.
    Also no digital audio or 5.1 sound - just crappy left/right RCA audio. No
    component video, so no progressive scan, no hope of HDTV in the future
    etc....

    It was a pretty cheap looking two-tone silver black decoder with
    'telstraclear' label on the front. I think the decoders had a brand name of
    'ADC'. They also carried DVB logo (so it'll be DVB-C), and when the tech was
    setting it up, the menus showed it as having an embedded Irdeto CAM. It had
    a smartcard sticking out the front.

    Aswell as the digital cable box, they also installed a Motorola Surf-Board
    cable modem so that the device could talk back to home base for buying Pay
    Per View etc. He mentioned that they're hoping to get newer decoders which
    have the modem option integrated. Their info booklet listed MHG for digital
    text features (like 'red' button services in the UK), but I didnt try this
    so I'm not actually sure they're
    transmitting this.

    All in all, I was looking forward to their digital TV offering. Instead I'm
    left feeling disappointed...Hopefully TVNZ will launch some more useful
    digital stuff later this year.

    nospam, Aug 17, 2005

  2. nospam

    Phstpok Guest

    :
    > A bit of info for those that received the TelstraClear digital cable TV
    > mailout in the last week...
    >
    > Even at the steep $199 price tag to upgrade from analog service to digital
    > tv, plus $5 extra per month, I decided to upgrade.
    >
    > They came out today to do my upgarde. I briefly saw it going, but cancelled
    > the upgrade mid way through. My primary reason for wanting to upgrade was so
    > that I could get better options for connecting to my plasma TV, which really
    > shows some of the short comings of composite video.
    >
    > Unfortunately they've bought really cheap ass digital decoders, and I'd
    > still only have the option of connecting to my TV using crappy composite
    > cable. I had really hoped for component video, or RGB, or if I was really
    > lucky something like DVI or VGA. Instead, this box didnt even have s-video.
    > Also no digital audio or 5.1 sound - just crappy left/right RCA audio. No
    > component video, so no progressive scan, no hope of HDTV in the future
    > etc....
    >
    > It was a pretty cheap looking two-tone silver black decoder with
    > 'telstraclear' label on the front. I think the decoders had a brand name of
    > 'ADC'. They also carried DVB logo (so it'll be DVB-C), and when the tech was
    > setting it up, the menus showed it as having an embedded Irdeto CAM. It had
    > a smartcard sticking out the front.
    >
    > Aswell as the digital cable box, they also installed a Motorola Surf-Board
    > cable modem so that the device could talk back to home base for buying Pay
    > Per View etc. He mentioned that they're hoping to get newer decoders which
    > have the modem option integrated. Their info booklet listed MHG for digital
    > text features (like 'red' button services in the UK), but I didnt try this
    > so I'm not actually sure they're
    > transmitting this.
    >
    > All in all, I was looking forward to their digital TV offering. Instead I'm
    > left feeling disappointed...Hopefully TVNZ will launch some more useful
    > digital stuff later this year.

    Thanks for that. I was thinking of going the same route, but not if
    there is no dramatic improvement to service. Maybe once they have an
    installed base they may offer more, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it.

    Phstpok, Aug 17, 2005

  3. nospam

    thing2 Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > :
    >
    >> A bit of info for those that received the TelstraClear digital cable
    >> TV mailout in the last week...
    >>
    >> Even at the steep $199 price tag to upgrade from analog service to
    >> digital tv, plus $5 extra per month, I decided to upgrade.
    >>
    >> They came out today to do my upgarde. I briefly saw it going, but
    >> cancelled the upgrade mid way through. My primary reason for wanting
    >> to upgrade was so that I could get better options for connecting to my
    >> plasma TV, which really shows some of the short comings of composite
    >> video.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately they've bought really cheap ass digital decoders, and
    >> I'd still only have the option of connecting to my TV using crappy
    >> composite cable. I had really hoped for component video, or RGB, or if
    >> I was really lucky something like DVI or VGA. Instead, this box didnt
    >> even have s-video. Also no digital audio or 5.1 sound - just crappy
    >> left/right RCA audio. No component video, so no progressive scan, no
    >> hope of HDTV in the future etc....
    >>
    >> It was a pretty cheap looking two-tone silver black decoder with
    >> 'telstraclear' label on the front. I think the decoders had a brand
    >> name of
    >> 'ADC'. They also carried DVB logo (so it'll be DVB-C), and when the
    >> tech was setting it up, the menus showed it as having an embedded
    >> Irdeto CAM. It had a smartcard sticking out the front.
    >>
    >> Aswell as the digital cable box, they also installed a Motorola
    >> Surf-Board cable modem so that the device could talk back to home base
    >> for buying Pay Per View etc. He mentioned that they're hoping to get
    >> newer decoders which have the modem option integrated. Their info
    >> booklet listed MHG for digital text features (like 'red' button
    >> services in the UK), but I didnt try this so I'm not actually sure
    >> they're
    >> transmitting this.
    >>
    >> All in all, I was looking forward to their digital TV offering.
    >> Instead I'm left feeling disappointed...Hopefully TVNZ will launch
    >> some more useful digital stuff later this year.
    >>

    > Thanks for that. I was thinking of going the same route, but not if
    > there is no dramatic improvement to service. Maybe once they have an
    > installed base they may offer more, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it.

    Sounds like marketing got the idea to sell cheap crap at an expensive
    margin, figuring most people would not be "bright" enough to notice.....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Aug 17, 2005
  4. nospam

    Stevesub Guest

    Here in OZ, we still have analogue Foxtel (read Telstra). They are trying to
    get everyone onto Digital and do have some interesting digital only
    channels. However when I have seen Foxtel Digital, they are still showing
    the same crap quality programs in general that look bad even on the analogue
    system. They do not seem to have much in the way of programming that ends up
    looking better on digital.

    Really, I think they want to make more $ from Pay to View which is easier to
    do from your digital remote and sell you the extra channels that only
    digital has.

    Stevesub

    Stevesub, Aug 17, 2005
  5. nospam

    Harry Guest

    Stevesub wrote:

    > Here in OZ, we still have analogue Foxtel (read Telstra). They are trying
    > to get everyone onto Digital and do have some interesting digital only
    > channels. However when I have seen Foxtel Digital, they are still showing
    > the same crap quality programs in general that look bad even on the
    > analogue system. They do not seem to have much in the way of programming
    > that ends up looking better on digital.
    >
    > Really, I think they want to make more $ from Pay to View which is easier
    > to do from your digital remote and sell you the extra channels that only
    > digital has.

    Here in OZ we have digital Austar.
    It has always been digital, never analog, because it has always been
    delivered via satellite (BTW Foxtel delivers from satellite to some
    subscribers and it has always been digital too).

    Surprisingly Austar advertised with the same spiel as Foxtel ... "Upgrade
    to Digital" even though it was already digital.

    Australia pay tv is better than NZ because it has extra channels like
    The Comedy Channel (Leno, O'Brien, and a smattering of oz comedy), Fox
    Classics, World Movies, and twice as many movie channels. And some of the
    content on channels like UKTV is better than in NZ.

    But it is worse when it comes to music channels (there is no such thing
    as oz music it would seem) which play more commercials than music.
    And they hire a couple of faces who can fill airtime cheaper
    than paying for music videos. And what do these "personalities" do
    most of the time? Yes, they talent scout for new "personalities".
    The winner will no doubt be so thrilled that they will work
    for next to free and help provide XYZ Entertainment with even
    higher profits to repatriate to the Bahamas (BTW $10m moves from
    Australia to tax havens every day).

    The Austar and Foxtel decoders have S-Video output. You will never get
    digital output unless you solder your own adapter to the inside of a
    decoder. But it will still be stereo audio anyhow.

    Yes, Hollywood and their patrons are luddites who will never be
    at the forefront of technology. Just study the content, check the
    transission quality, and conclude that making money is all about
    providing the least for the highest price. No surprises there.

    Harry, Aug 17, 2005
  6. In article <SRxMe.97887$>,
    "nospam" <> wrote:
    >A bit of info for those that received the TelstraClear digital cable TV
    >mailout in the last week...

    Thanks for that. I was afraid it would be that bad. The only thing that
    would get me to upgrade would be if they added extra channels such as the
    Arts Channel. Their reason for not adding it to the analog service was that
    they'd run out of channel slots and they were waiting for the digital
    service to roll out to provide space for it. (This was over a year ago.)
    There's no word on extra channels in their rollout announcement, so I guess
    I'll go with my original plan to drop my second decoder and get basic Sky
    digital with Arts channel option.

    Does anyone know what channel the Sky digital decoder RF output is on? I
    currently have 2 cable decoders and 2 VCRs daisy-chained together feeding
    two TVs elsewhere in the house. Having the Sky decoder putting out RF on the
    same channel as one of the other boxes would be annoying, I'd have to go to
    a separate modulator for it.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Spam Blackhole, Aug 17, 2005
  7. nospam

    Richard Guest

    Spam Blackhole wrote:

    > Does anyone know what channel the Sky digital decoder RF output is on? I
    > currently have 2 cable decoders and 2 VCRs daisy-chained together feeding
    > two TVs elsewhere in the house. Having the Sky decoder putting out RF on the
    > same channel as one of the other boxes would be annoying, I'd have to go to
    > a separate modulator for it.

    Its flexable, but be aware that chainging them like that will make a hell of a
    lot of cross modulation, hook them all into a backwards splitter. I had to do
    that here with modulators for the cameras and the sat receivers.

    Richard, Aug 17, 2005
  8. nospam

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:32:06 +1200, (Spam
    Blackhole) wrote:

    >In article <SRxMe.97887$>,
    >"nospam" <> wrote:
    >>A bit of info for those that received the TelstraClear digital cable TV
    >>mailout in the last week...

    >Thanks for that. I was afraid it would be that bad. The only thing that
    >would get me to upgrade would be if they added extra channels such as the
    >Arts Channel. Their reason for not adding it to the analog service was that
    >they'd run out of channel slots and they were waiting for the digital
    >service to roll out to provide space for it. (This was over a year ago.)
    >There's no word on extra channels in their rollout announcement, so I guess
    >I'll go with my original plan to drop my second decoder and get basic Sky
    >digital with Arts channel option.
    >
    >Does anyone know what channel the Sky digital decoder RF output is on? I
    >currently have 2 cable decoders and 2 VCRs daisy-chained together feeding
    >two TVs elsewhere in the house. Having the Sky decoder putting out RF on the
    >same channel as one of the other boxes would be annoying, I'd have to go to
    >a separate modulator for it.

    Do not use the RF use the AV..

    Tony, Aug 18, 2005
  9. nospam

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Spam Blackhole wrote:

    > Thanks for that. I was afraid it would be that bad. The only thing that
    > would get me to upgrade would be if they added extra channels such as the
    > Arts Channel. Their reason for not adding it to the analog service was that

    Will Photoshop tutorials be on the Alpha channel?

    --
    IT Management. Tel: +64 3 479 5478
    Web and database hosting, Co-location. Web: http://www.wic.co.nz

    Stu Fleming, Aug 18, 2005
  10. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Me again...

    I could hear the operator glazing-over when I tried to explain why I wanted
    to cancel my digital tv upgrade, but I would really like to send them a
    feedback email to let them know my thoughts and recommendations on how to
    improve their digital tv service offering. I cant seem to seem to find a
    telstraclear email address. Does any one know one? I tried
    and but both bounced.
    Their 'contact us' didnt seem to have anywhere to leave feedback or any
    email addresses.

    nospam, Aug 18, 2005
  11. nospam

    thing2 Guest

    Stevesub wrote:
    > Here in OZ, we still have analogue Foxtel (read Telstra). They are trying to
    > get everyone onto Digital and do have some interesting digital only
    > channels. However when I have seen Foxtel Digital, they are still showing
    > the same crap quality programs in general that look bad even on the analogue
    > system. They do not seem to have much in the way of programming that ends up
    > looking better on digital.
    >
    > Really, I think they want to make more $ from Pay to View which is easier to
    > do from your digital remote and sell you the extra channels that only
    > digital has.
    >
    > Stevesub
    > "thing2" <> wrote in message

    When I enquired recently about getting Cable my only practical option
    was a 1 year contract, but the sales woman enthused that "it was so good
    and I would be so happy with it that 1 year would not be a problem". My
    answer was if its so good put your money where your mouth is and let me
    try it for a month to see......She declined....

    Someone should tell the idiots over there that punters are not that
    stupid to fall for such gormless lines......

    try getting real....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Aug 18, 2005
  12. nospam

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Spam Blackhole wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know what channel the Sky digital decoder RF output is on? I
    > > currently have 2 cable decoders and 2 VCRs daisy-chained together

    feeding
    > > two TVs elsewhere in the house. Having the Sky decoder putting out RF on

    the
    > > same channel as one of the other boxes would be annoying, I'd have to go

    > > a separate modulator for it.

    > Its flexable, but be aware that chainging them like that will make a hell

    of a
    > lot of cross modulation, hook them all into a backwards splitter. I had to

    do
    > that here with modulators for the cameras and the sat receivers.

    Should be fine as long as you space the channels 4 channels apart. Mind you
    Sky decoder modulator output are not all that clean.

    Craig Sutton, Aug 18, 2005
  13. nospam

    PC Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message news:4303ee1a$...
    > Me again...
    >
    > I could hear the operator glazing-over when I tried to explain why I
    > wanted to cancel my digital tv upgrade, but I would really like to send
    > them a feedback email to let them know my thoughts and recommendations on
    > how to improve their digital tv service offering. I cant seem to seem to
    > find a telstraclear email address. Does any one know one? I tried
    > and but both bounced.
    > Their 'contact us' didnt seem to have anywhere to leave feedback or any
    > email addresses.
    >
    > "snip

    try this one
    PeeCee

    PC, Aug 18, 2005
  14. nospam

    Richard Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Should be fine as long as you space the channels 4 channels apart. Mind you
    > Sky decoder modulator output are not all that clean.

    Problem is the lousey amplifier that all those RF mod's have in them to overcome
    the losses of them being inserted, about 3-4dB if I recall correclty, doesnt
    take too many carriers till its out of the linear range and making all sorts of
    splatter everywhere.

    Richard, Aug 18, 2005
  15. nospam

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <SRxMe.97887$>, nospam wrote:
    > A bit of info for those that received the TelstraClear digital cable TV
    > mailout in the last week...
    >
    > Even at the steep $199 price tag to upgrade from analog service to digital
    > tv, plus $5 extra per month, I decided to upgrade.
    >
    > They came out today to do my upgarde. I briefly saw it going, but cancelled
    > the upgrade mid way through. My primary reason for wanting to upgrade was so
    > that I could get better options for connecting to my plasma TV, which really
    > shows some of the short comings of composite video.
    >
    > Unfortunately they've bought really cheap ass digital decoders, and I'd
    > still only have the option of connecting to my TV using crappy composite
    > cable. I had really hoped for component video, or RGB, or if I was really
    > lucky something like DVI or VGA. Instead, this box didnt even have s-video.
    > Also no digital audio or 5.1 sound - just crappy left/right RCA audio. No
    > component video, so no progressive scan, no hope of HDTV in the future
    > etc....
    >
    > It was a pretty cheap looking two-tone silver black decoder with
    > 'telstraclear' label on the front. I think the decoders had a brand name of
    > 'ADC'. They also carried DVB logo (so it'll be DVB-C), and when the tech was
    > setting it up, the menus showed it as having an embedded Irdeto CAM. It had
    > a smartcard sticking out the front.
    >
    > Aswell as the digital cable box, they also installed a Motorola Surf-Board
    > cable modem so that the device could talk back to home base for buying Pay
    > Per View etc. He mentioned that they're hoping to get newer decoders which
    > have the modem option integrated. Their info booklet listed MHG for digital
    > text features (like 'red' button services in the UK), but I didnt try this
    > so I'm not actually sure they're
    > transmitting this.
    >
    > All in all, I was looking forward to their digital TV offering. Instead I'm
    > left feeling disappointed...Hopefully TVNZ will launch some more useful
    > digital stuff later this year.

    Or you could use PVR software like GBPVR or MythTV or....
    and buy these
    DVB-C PCI Card
    http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=2_14&products_id=300
    CI-CAM slot for above
    http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=302
    and and Irdeto CI-CAM
    http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php?cPath=41_53&products_id=271

    Well it is nz.comp

    ChrisOD, Aug 18, 2005
  16. In article <43042bf7$>, Richard <> wrote:

    >Problem is the lousey amplifier that all those RF mod's have in them to overcome
    >the losses of them being inserted, about 3-4dB if I recall correclty, doesnt
    >take too many carriers till its out of the linear range and making all sorts of
    >splatter everywhere.

    I tried it the simple way first (all daisy chained). I was prepared to add
    in-line attenuators if I ran into overloading but it worked fine with no
    herringbone or ghosting etc. It's been working like that for years now.
    It goes: Cable box VHF 3 --> Cable box UHF 64 --> VCR UHF 36 -->
    VCR VHF 2 --> splitter and cables to 2 TVs elsewhere in the house.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Spam Blackhole, Aug 18, 2005
  17. In article <>,
    Tony <> wrote:
    >Do not use the RF use the AV..

    Clueless as usual, Roger. You obviously didn't read what I wrote.
    Maybe the words were too long for you, so I'll make it simpler:

    I'm using RF due to the length of the cable run and the convenience
    of being able to run 4 different programs down the one cable.
    These are family room and bedroom TV sets, the main setup in the lounge
    of course uses AV inputs (it has to, it's actually a Barco industrial
    monitor.)

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Spam Blackhole, Aug 18, 2005
  18. nospam

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in

    > Unfortunately they've bought really cheap ass digital decoders, and
    > I'd still only have the option of connecting to my TV using crappy
    > composite cable. I had really hoped for component video, or RGB, or if
    > I was really lucky something like DVI or VGA. Instead, this box didnt
    > even have s-video. Also no digital audio or 5.1 sound - just crappy
    > left/right RCA audio. No component video, so no progressive scan, no
    > hope of HDTV in the future etc....

    This was in 1998.
    When Vancouver BC rolled out Digital with Rogers Cable Systems it was
    leaps and bounds over what had been available. Existing cable
    infrastructure had to be upgraded to handle the signal bandwidth, and the
    decoders were Scientific Atlanta boxes with a preview of what you were
    watching in the top quarter of your screen, and when you browsed the
    channel menu you could still hear and watch your show.
    Shaw Cable bought the infrastructure, replaced the SA box with a cheap
    Motorola that took away my browsing feature, MUTED the SOUND when
    browsing, and just generally was terrible if you had the SA box before.
    New customers has no baseline, so had no idea, and were happy.

    Basically the current TC cable box sound like it is almost identical to
    what I was given after the Shaw Cable buy out in Vancouver.
    I called Shaw cable about the change out feature loss, told them why I
    was upset, and they said they had that complaint quite a lot from pre
    conversion customers.
    The picture was sharp and clean on the channels. Fuzz gives way to
    pixelation, but the box logs this and you can have the support people
    check the signal levels and fix it with a truck roll.

    It is now, 2005, and Digital is arriving to New Zealand. I thought NZ
    was the high tech showcase, ( Eftpos) ( Modems per capita)
    They are using non PVR boxes? I want a PVR for that money!

    New Zealand's Cable plant is new, not full of water and corroded
    connectors; push that cable plant infrastructure to the max and exploit
    its' clean end to end signal.
    IMHO

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 18, 2005
  19. nospam

    Richard Guest

    Spam Blackhole wrote:
    > In article <43042bf7$>, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Problem is the lousey amplifier that all those RF mod's have in them to overcome
    >>the losses of them being inserted, about 3-4dB if I recall correclty, doesnt
    >>take too many carriers till its out of the linear range and making all sorts of
    >>splatter everywhere.

    > I tried it the simple way first (all daisy chained). I was prepared to add
    > in-line attenuators if I ran into overloading but it worked fine with no
    > herringbone or ghosting etc. It's been working like that for years now.
    > It goes: Cable box VHF 3 --> Cable box UHF 64 --> VCR UHF 36 -->
    > VCR VHF 2 --> splitter and cables to 2 TVs elsewhere in the house.

    Here I tried VCR on UHF 40, another one on UHF 44, and then 2 adgile modulators
    on 50 and 54 (memorys hazy now) - and it was pretty bad, and the VHF that was
    run thru the lot ended up coming in way too hot. VCRs are a pain in that they
    need an in as well as an out so they cant be split and recombined (tried it,
    didnt work well)

    Now I have eliminated the VCRs I have a couple of FTA sat boxes on the 40's and
    the modulators are on the 30's (seem to be stronger by a few dB at the lower
    end) - all them into a backwards 8 way splitter along with the output that came
    from the skybox in the lounge, that into a diplexer with the VHF and FM, and
    that into the distribution amp. few attenuators in there to match things up and
    its great.

    Richard, Aug 18, 2005
  20. nospam

    Tony Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:57:37 +1200, (Spam
    Blackhole) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Tony <> wrote:
    >>Do not use the RF use the AV..

    >Clueless as usual, Roger. You obviously didn't read what I wrote.
    >Maybe the words were too long for you, so I'll make it simpler:

    But I am not clue less may be it was the poster, it not that easy to read you
    mind via Usenet.

    >I'm using RF due to the length of the cable run and the convenience
    >of being able to run 4 different programs down the one cable.

    But you need four Decoders to do that..

    I never ever use RF when I can avoid it, the RF Modulator are far to crappy.

    Tony, Aug 18, 2005