    Has anyone else in Chch had similar issues with TC?

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 11, 2008

  2. Hi there,

    thing2 wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> My sister and her partner live in Chch, and have applied to get cable
    >> internet with Telstraclear after sales drones cold-called at her place
    >> offering a deal on the service.
    >>
    >> My sis and her fella thought the deal seemed fine, so they agreed, but
    >> now they're being told they can't have cable because of a "problem with
    >> their lamp-post". Can I presume that the sales drones have no fucking
    >> clue about whether or not the box on the street is already full up with
    >> connections?
    >>
    >> Sounds ridiculous to me,

    > Me too. Wondering if there is some sort of "splicer" that only has so
    > many terminal connections into it, and its full, and adding another
    > might be un-economic....but it seems a bit silly.
    >
    > I would go back and say they are also considering/want cable TV....which
    > is obviously only available on cable...it might "suddenly" become
    > possible...worth a try, then of course decide to only have cable
    > Internet...
    >
    > ;]

    I vaguely remember that the cable rollout was done on the cheap, and
    that there would be no way Telstra could give everyone on a street a
    cable if they asked for it, due to bandwidth limitations.

    > and if it were me I'd be pushing for a free
    >> setup and some months free on partnered ADSL to compensate.

    > I would say, fat chance.
    >
    >> Has anyone else in Chch had similar issues with TC?
    >>
    >> Kind regards,
    >>
    >> Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 11, 2008

  3. Chris Wilkinson

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <QInSk.68247$2>,
    says...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > thing2 wrote:
    > > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > >> Hi there,
    > >>
    > >> My sister and her partner live in Chch, and have applied to get cable
    > >> internet with Telstraclear after sales drones cold-called at her place
    > >> offering a deal on the service.
    > >>
    > >> My sis and her fella thought the deal seemed fine, so they agreed, but
    > >> now they're being told they can't have cable because of a "problem with
    > >> their lamp-post". Can I presume that the sales drones have no fucking
    > >> clue about whether or not the box on the street is already full up with
    > >> connections?
    > >>
    > >> Sounds ridiculous to me,

    > > Me too. Wondering if there is some sort of "splicer" that only has so
    > > many terminal connections into it, and its full, and adding another
    > > might be un-economic....but it seems a bit silly.
    > >
    > > I would go back and say they are also considering/want cable TV....which
    > > is obviously only available on cable...it might "suddenly" become
    > > possible...worth a try, then of course decide to only have cable
    > > Internet...
    > >
    > > ;]

    > I vaguely remember that the cable rollout was done on the cheap, and
    > that there would be no way Telstra could give everyone on a street a
    > cable if they asked for it, due to bandwidth limitations.

    Haven't heard of that.

    Nor any "problems with the lampost" issues. I would find out "what the
    problem with the lampost is".

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Nov 13, 2008
  4. Chris Wilkinson

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Doe <> wrote in

    > In article <QInSk.68247$2>,
    > says...
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> thing2 wrote:

    >> > Me too. Wondering if there is some sort of "splicer" that only has
    >> > so many terminal connections into it, and its full, and adding
    >> > another might be un-economic....but it seems a bit silly.
    >> >
    >> > I would go back and say they are also considering/want cable
    >> > TV....which is obviously only available on cable...it might
    >> > "suddenly" become possible...worth a try, then of course decide to
    >> > only have cable Internet...
    >> >
    >> > ;]

    >> I vaguely remember that the cable rollout was done on the cheap, and
    >> that there would be no way Telstra could give everyone on a street a
    >> cable if they asked for it, due to bandwidth limitations.

    > Haven't heard of that.
    >
    > Nor any "problems with the lampost" issues. I would find out "what
    > the problem with the lampost is".

    Do they actually have a cable in the area? If not, then the "plant"
    would need to be expanded and this is what costs Telstra Clear the most
    money. Pulling cables down the street they forgot...
    If they really want it, they might be able to get it, but would have to
    convince Telstra Clear to pull cable. This might involve things like
    letters of intent from people on the street. Be polite and get the name
    and incident number so it can all be tracked in their system properly.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 14, 2008
  5. Chris Wilkinson

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <Xns9B56DDF41BD9Cdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <QInSk.68247$2>,
    > > says...
    > >> Hi there,

    > >> I vaguely remember that the cable rollout was done on the cheap, and
    > >> that there would be no way Telstra could give everyone on a street a
    > >> cable if they asked for it, due to bandwidth limitations.

    > > Haven't heard of that.
    > >
    > > Nor any "problems with the lampost" issues. I would find out "what
    > > the problem with the lampost is".
    > >

    > Do they actually have a cable in the area? If not, then the "plant"
    > would need to be expanded and this is what costs Telstra Clear the most
    > money. Pulling cables down the street they forgot...
    > If they really want it, they might be able to get it, but would have to
    > convince Telstra Clear to pull cable. This might involve things like
    > letters of intent from people on the street. Be polite and get the name
    > and incident number so it can all be tracked in their system properly.

    Well I'm just assuming cable is already in the street.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Nov 14, 2008