TelstraClear HighSpeed Internet

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    At the moment I'm on TelstraClear HighSpeed Starter 256kbps/10GB and
    looking at Paradise usage table it shows my usage for the last few
    years as under the 2GB mark. I spend a reasonable amount of time on
    the internet reading and listening to overseas radio. I also download
    a number of software programmes, but don't play games or share files.

    Checking the TelstraClear web site for the new highspeed plans it
    shows a HighSpeed 10GB 2Mbps plan for less than I'm paying at present
    but with this proviso; "For use around 4 hours a day for moderate
    internet browsing/surfing and downloading files and services.
    Excellent audio services. Users should monitor their usage carefully".

    At the moment I spend more than 4 hours daily on the internet and as
    previously stated my usage rate is under 2GB a month, why the
    difference? I can understand that with the faster speed there would be
    a tendency to download additional software for awhile until the
    novelty wore off, but I still can't see me downloading 10GB a month.

    Little advice needed please. Would this 10GB plan be suitable for my
    needs? Is there a reason, other than stated, why I would need more
    than the 10Gb plan?

    If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.

    Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Mar 29, 2006

  2. John

    Peter Guest

    John wrote:

    > If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    > starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.
    >
    > Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.

    TelstraClear have made offers in the past that are not open to existing
    customers. Moreover you tend to be locked in for 12 months or so.

    It is rather like an employer offering new employees more than existing
    employees are getting, relying on inerta and logistical hassles of getting
    a new job.

    Peter, Mar 29, 2006

  3. John

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:58:14 +1200, John <> wrote:

    >At the moment I'm on TelstraClear HighSpeed Starter 256kbps/10GB and
    >looking at Paradise usage table it shows my usage for the last few
    >years as under the 2GB mark. I spend a reasonable amount of time on
    >the internet reading and listening to overseas radio. I also download
    >a number of software programmes, but don't play games or share files.
    >
    >Checking the TelstraClear web site for the new highspeed plans it
    >shows a HighSpeed 10GB 2Mbps plan for less than I'm paying at present
    >but with this proviso; "For use around 4 hours a day for moderate
    >internet browsing/surfing and downloading files and services.
    >Excellent audio services. Users should monitor their usage carefully".
    >
    >At the moment I spend more than 4 hours daily on the internet and as
    >previously stated my usage rate is under 2GB a month, why the
    >difference? I can understand that with the faster speed there would be
    >a tendency to download additional software for awhile until the
    >novelty wore off, but I still can't see me downloading 10GB a month.
    >
    >Little advice needed please. Would this 10GB plan be suitable for my
    >needs? Is there a reason, other than stated, why I would need more
    >than the 10Gb plan?
    >
    >If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    >starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.
    >
    >Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    How much of your traffic is national traffic?

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Mar 29, 2006
  4. John

    thingy Guest

    John wrote:
    > At the moment I'm on TelstraClear HighSpeed Starter 256kbps/10GB and
    > looking at Paradise usage table it shows my usage for the last few
    > years as under the 2GB mark. I spend a reasonable amount of time on
    > the internet reading and listening to overseas radio. I also download
    > a number of software programmes, but don't play games or share files.
    >
    > Checking the TelstraClear web site for the new highspeed plans it
    > shows a HighSpeed 10GB 2Mbps plan for less than I'm paying at present
    > but with this proviso; "For use around 4 hours a day for moderate
    > internet browsing/surfing and downloading files and services.
    > Excellent audio services. Users should monitor their usage carefully".
    >
    > At the moment I spend more than 4 hours daily on the internet and as
    > previously stated my usage rate is under 2GB a month, why the
    > difference? I can understand that with the faster speed there would be
    > a tendency to download additional software for awhile until the
    > novelty wore off, but I still can't see me downloading 10GB a month.
    >
    > Little advice needed please. Would this 10GB plan be suitable for my
    > needs? Is there a reason, other than stated, why I would need more
    > than the 10Gb plan?
    >
    > If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    > starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.
    >
    > Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    I am still on the 256k one as well.

    My download pattern looks similar to yours about 1gig min to 5 gig max,
    av about 2~2.5.....a month.

    The "extra" speed maybe a loss (ie marketing blurb), it really depends
    on the bandwidth available, if its over-subscribed say a busy web site,
    all you get is 30Kbyte/sec either way....

    The big advantage of the old 256k plan is the National/International
    split, new plans only have Internatioanl rate, so if a lot of your
    browsing is within NZ, your total could take a jump....mine is 15%~20%
    ntaional the rest international so it woul have no big imapct for me.

    It might actually be worth doing to save money as long as you are still
    under 10gig.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 29, 2006
  5. John

    Kent Smith Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > At the moment I'm on TelstraClear HighSpeed Starter 256kbps/10GB and
    > looking at Paradise usage table it shows my usage for the last few
    > years as under the 2GB mark. I spend a reasonable amount of time on
    > the internet reading and listening to overseas radio. I also download
    > a number of software programmes, but don't play games or share files.
    >
    > Checking the TelstraClear web site for the new highspeed plans it
    > shows a HighSpeed 10GB 2Mbps plan for less than I'm paying at present
    > but with this proviso; "For use around 4 hours a day for moderate
    > internet browsing/surfing and downloading files and services.
    > Excellent audio services. Users should monitor their usage carefully".
    >
    > At the moment I spend more than 4 hours daily on the internet and as
    > previously stated my usage rate is under 2GB a month, why the
    > difference? I can understand that with the faster speed there would be
    > a tendency to download additional software for awhile until the
    > novelty wore off, but I still can't see me downloading 10GB a month.
    >
    > Little advice needed please. Would this 10GB plan be suitable for my
    > needs? Is there a reason, other than stated, why I would need more
    > than the 10Gb plan?
    >
    > If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    > starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.
    >
    > Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.

    Extra traffic on the new plan is $3 per GB so if you went over it, it's not
    really gonna break the bank.

    If I were you, and knew my usage wasn't going to change, I'd go for the 5GB
    plan. See how it goes and upgrade if necessary. Just make sure there are
    no penalties first. I don't think TCL care, as long as you're still their
    customer.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Mar 29, 2006
  6. John

    John Guest

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:15:50 +1200, Ross Dawson wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:58:14 +1200, John <> wrote:
    >
    >>At the moment I'm on TelstraClear HighSpeed Starter 256kbps/10GB and
    >>looking at Paradise usage table it shows my usage for the last few
    >>years as under the 2GB mark. I spend a reasonable amount of time on
    >>the internet reading and listening to overseas radio. I also download
    >>a number of software programmes, but don't play games or share files.
    >>
    >>Checking the TelstraClear web site for the new highspeed plans it
    >>shows a HighSpeed 10GB 2Mbps plan for less than I'm paying at present
    >>but with this proviso; "For use around 4 hours a day for moderate
    >>internet browsing/surfing and downloading files and services.
    >>Excellent audio services. Users should monitor their usage carefully".
    >>
    >>At the moment I spend more than 4 hours daily on the internet and as
    >>previously stated my usage rate is under 2GB a month, why the
    >>difference? I can understand that with the faster speed there would be
    >>a tendency to download additional software for awhile until the
    >>novelty wore off, but I still can't see me downloading 10GB a month.
    >>
    >>Little advice needed please. Would this 10GB plan be suitable for my
    >>needs? Is there a reason, other than stated, why I would need more
    >>than the 10Gb plan?
    >>
    >>If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    >>starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.
    >>
    >>Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>John.

    > How much of your traffic is national traffic?

    Last month International traffic = 803.68 National = 156.50
    Equivalent = 819.33 difference of 86.85.

    Mentioned this to a TelstraClear representative who stated that the
    new plans included both International and National traffic and they
    intend to change existing plans also.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Mar 29, 2006
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:17:48 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >> At the moment I'm on TelstraClear HighSpeed Starter 256kbps/10GB and
    >> looking at Paradise usage table it shows my usage for the last few
    >> years as under the 2GB mark. I spend a reasonable amount of time on
    >> the internet reading and listening to overseas radio. I also download
    >> a number of software programmes, but don't play games or share files.
    >>
    >> Checking the TelstraClear web site for the new highspeed plans it
    >> shows a HighSpeed 10GB 2Mbps plan for less than I'm paying at present
    >> but with this proviso; "For use around 4 hours a day for moderate
    >> internet browsing/surfing and downloading files and services.
    >> Excellent audio services. Users should monitor their usage carefully".
    >>
    >> At the moment I spend more than 4 hours daily on the internet and as
    >> previously stated my usage rate is under 2GB a month, why the
    >> difference? I can understand that with the faster speed there would be
    >> a tendency to download additional software for awhile until the
    >> novelty wore off, but I still can't see me downloading 10GB a month.
    >>
    >> Little advice needed please. Would this 10GB plan be suitable for my
    >> needs? Is there a reason, other than stated, why I would need more
    >> than the 10Gb plan?
    >>
    >> If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    >> starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.
    >>
    >> Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John.

    > I am still on the 256k one as well.
    >
    > My download pattern looks similar to yours about 1gig min to 5 gig max,
    > av about 2~2.5.....a month.
    >
    > The "extra" speed maybe a loss (ie marketing blurb), it really depends
    > on the bandwidth available, if its over-subscribed say a busy web site,
    > all you get is 30Kbyte/sec either way....
    >
    > The big advantage of the old 256k plan is the National/International
    > split, new plans only have Internatioanl rate, so if a lot of your
    > browsing is within NZ, your total could take a jump....mine is 15%~20%
    > ntaional the rest international so it woul have no big imapct for me.
    >
    > It might actually be worth doing to save money as long as you are still
    > under 10gig.

    According to TelstraClear, the National/International split on the old
    256kpbs is about to change to bring it into line with the new plans.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Mar 29, 2006
  8. John

    John Guest

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:21:34 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> At the moment I'm on TelstraClear HighSpeed Starter 256kbps/10GB and
    >> looking at Paradise usage table it shows my usage for the last few
    >> years as under the 2GB mark. I spend a reasonable amount of time on
    >> the internet reading and listening to overseas radio. I also download
    >> a number of software programmes, but don't play games or share files.
    >>
    >> Checking the TelstraClear web site for the new highspeed plans it
    >> shows a HighSpeed 10GB 2Mbps plan for less than I'm paying at present
    >> but with this proviso; "For use around 4 hours a day for moderate
    >> internet browsing/surfing and downloading files and services.
    >> Excellent audio services. Users should monitor their usage carefully".
    >>
    >> At the moment I spend more than 4 hours daily on the internet and as
    >> previously stated my usage rate is under 2GB a month, why the
    >> difference? I can understand that with the faster speed there would be
    >> a tendency to download additional software for awhile until the
    >> novelty wore off, but I still can't see me downloading 10GB a month.
    >>
    >> Little advice needed please. Would this 10GB plan be suitable for my
    >> needs? Is there a reason, other than stated, why I would need more
    >> than the 10Gb plan?
    >>
    >> If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    >> starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.
    >>
    >> Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.
    >>

    > Extra traffic on the new plan is $3 per GB so if you went over it, it's not
    > really gonna break the bank.

    > If I were you, and knew my usage wasn't going to change, I'd go for the 5GB
    > plan. See how it goes and upgrade if necessary. Just make sure there are
    > no penalties first. I don't think TCL care, as long as you're still their
    > customer.

    Makes sense, and even if I'm slightly over, the $3 it cost per GB
    would still be less than it costs at the moment. Are you certain that
    it's only $3 per GB?

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Mar 29, 2006
  9. John

    thingy Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:17:48 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>John wrote:
    >>
    >>>At the moment I'm on TelstraClear HighSpeed Starter 256kbps/10GB and
    >>>looking at Paradise usage table it shows my usage for the last few
    >>>years as under the 2GB mark. I spend a reasonable amount of time on
    >>>the internet reading and listening to overseas radio. I also download
    >>>a number of software programmes, but don't play games or share files.
    >>>
    >>>Checking the TelstraClear web site for the new highspeed plans it
    >>>shows a HighSpeed 10GB 2Mbps plan for less than I'm paying at present
    >>>but with this proviso; "For use around 4 hours a day for moderate
    >>>internet browsing/surfing and downloading files and services.
    >>>Excellent audio services. Users should monitor their usage carefully".
    >>>
    >>>At the moment I spend more than 4 hours daily on the internet and as
    >>>previously stated my usage rate is under 2GB a month, why the
    >>>difference? I can understand that with the faster speed there would be
    >>>a tendency to download additional software for awhile until the
    >>>novelty wore off, but I still can't see me downloading 10GB a month.
    >>>
    >>>Little advice needed please. Would this 10GB plan be suitable for my
    >>>needs? Is there a reason, other than stated, why I would need more
    >>>than the 10Gb plan?
    >>>
    >>>If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    >>>starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.
    >>>
    >>>Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>John.

    >>I am still on the 256k one as well.
    >>
    >>My download pattern looks similar to yours about 1gig min to 5 gig max,
    >>av about 2~2.5.....a month.
    >>
    >>The "extra" speed maybe a loss (ie marketing blurb), it really depends
    >>on the bandwidth available, if its over-subscribed say a busy web site,
    >>all you get is 30Kbyte/sec either way....
    >>
    >>The big advantage of the old 256k plan is the National/International
    >>split, new plans only have Internatioanl rate, so if a lot of your
    >>browsing is within NZ, your total could take a jump....mine is 15%~20%
    >>ntaional the rest international so it woul have no big imapct for me.
    >>
    >>It might actually be worth doing to save money as long as you are still
    >>under 10gig.

    > According to TelstraClear, the National/International split on the old
    > 256kpbs is about to change to bring it into line with the new plans.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    K.

    Looked at the "new" plan, same cost, no savings on what I pay now. So I
    have a worse service for the same money......

    Guess they will be contacting me and offering me the option of
    "upgrading" or terminating the contract then.

    Seriously considering dumping my landline for a vodafone......roughly
    same cost for far more usability.....at which time I assume Clear wont
    want me as they loose tolls, not that I make them anyway......

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 29, 2006
  10. John

    thingy Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:21:34 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >

    >>"John" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>At the moment I'm on TelstraClear HighSpeed Starter 256kbps/10GB and
    >>>looking at Paradise usage table it shows my usage for the last few
    >>>years as under the 2GB mark. I spend a reasonable amount of time on
    >>>the internet reading and listening to overseas radio. I also download
    >>>a number of software programmes, but don't play games or share files.
    >>>
    >>>Checking the TelstraClear web site for the new highspeed plans it
    >>>shows a HighSpeed 10GB 2Mbps plan for less than I'm paying at present
    >>>but with this proviso; "For use around 4 hours a day for moderate
    >>>internet browsing/surfing and downloading files and services.
    >>>Excellent audio services. Users should monitor their usage carefully".
    >>>
    >>>At the moment I spend more than 4 hours daily on the internet and as
    >>>previously stated my usage rate is under 2GB a month, why the
    >>>difference? I can understand that with the faster speed there would be
    >>>a tendency to download additional software for awhile until the
    >>>novelty wore off, but I still can't see me downloading 10GB a month.
    >>>
    >>>Little advice needed please. Would this 10GB plan be suitable for my
    >>>needs? Is there a reason, other than stated, why I would need more
    >>>than the 10Gb plan?
    >>>
    >>>If I change plans now It's impossible to go back to the old highspeed
    >>>starter 256kbps plan according to TelstraClear.
    >>>
    >>>Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.
    >>>

    >>Extra traffic on the new plan is $3 per GB so if you went over it, it's not
    >>really gonna break the bank.

    >>If I were you, and knew my usage wasn't going to change, I'd go for the 5GB
    >>plan. See how it goes and upgrade if necessary. Just make sure there are
    >>no penalties first. I don't think TCL care, as long as you're still their
    >>customer.

    > Makes sense, and even if I'm slightly over, the $3 it cost per GB
    > would still be less than it costs at the moment. Are you certain that
    > it's only $3 per GB?
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    hmm from reading the site, looked like $3 for 250meg to me.....so $12 a
    gig....?

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 29, 2006
  11. John

    Andrew Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:21:34 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >>

    >>> "John" <> wrote in message

    >>> Extra traffic on the new plan is $3 per GB so if you went over it,
    >>> it's not really gonna break the bank.

    >>> If I were you, and knew my usage wasn't going to change, I'd go for
    >>> the 5GB plan. See how it goes and upgrade if necessary. Just make
    >>> sure there are no penalties first. I don't think TCL care, as long
    >>> as you're still their customer.

    >> Makes sense, and even if I'm slightly over, the $3 it cost per GB
    >> would still be less than it costs at the moment. Are you certain that
    >> it's only $3 per GB?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John.

    > hmm from reading the site, looked like $3 for 250meg to me.....so $12 a
    > gig....?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Thats depends on the plan
    ranges from $2.95 for 250MB to $2.95 for 2GB
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/internet/highspeed/

    Andrew, Mar 29, 2006
  12. >
    > The "extra" speed maybe a loss (ie marketing blurb), it really depends on
    > the bandwidth available, if its over-subscribed say a busy web site, all
    > you get is 30Kbyte/sec either way....

    Hey we're not talking about telecom's crappy DSL here, 2mb cable is great!
    Certainly a huge improvement over the 256k speed.

    I signed up after november last year, so all these new plans are simply
    upgrades over the earlier plans. I get 20gb per month instead of 10gb for
    the same price.

    Stephen Williams, Mar 29, 2006
  13. John

    JB Guest

    "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in message

    >> The "extra" speed maybe a loss (ie marketing blurb), it really depends on
    >> the bandwidth available, if its over-subscribed say a busy web site, all
    >> you get is 30Kbyte/sec either way....
    >>

    > Hey we're not talking about telecom's crappy DSL here, 2mb cable is great!
    > Certainly a huge improvement over the 256k speed.
    >
    > I signed up after november last year, so all these new plans are simply
    > upgrades over the earlier plans. I get 20gb per month instead of 10gb for
    > the same price.

    The 2mb cable is very good, but the 10Mbps high speed internet is a lot
    better (obviously) if you want to watch live internet TV stations etc. The
    cost of the 10Mbps service is still prohibitive (about $100 per month,
    $131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet should
    cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this? For
    current rates see:

    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing.cfm

    JB, Mar 29, 2006
  14. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:09:47 +1200, someone purporting to be JB didst
    scrawl:

    > "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    > $131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet should
    > cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this?

    Cable is a shared-bandwidth service. For every user who's on a 10Mb plan
    they can't put probably five 2Mb users onto the same segment. The more
    10Mb users there are, the more equipment required to service them. Thus,
    faster speeds will be charged at a higher rate.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Mar 29, 2006
  15. In article <>,
    Matthew Poole <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:09:47 +1200, someone purporting to be JB didst
    > scrawl:
    >

    > > "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in message

    > *SNIP*
    > > $131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet should
    > > cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this?

    > Cable is a shared-bandwidth service. For every user who's on a 10Mb plan
    > they can't put probably five 2Mb users onto the same segment. The more
    > 10Mb users there are, the more equipment required to service them. Thus,
    > faster speeds will be charged at a higher rate.

    Cable is not actually more of a shared bandwidth service than xDSL, or
    Ethernet for that matter. What matters is the amount of sharing you do,
    and where. For example, a big central office ADSL DSLAM probably funnels
    a few thousand customers through a 155Mbps ATM pipe. (Which is not, in
    practice, a bottleneck.) Of course, some people (TCNZ say about 20%) are
    on mini DSLAMs that have a 2, 4 or 6 Mbps trunk.

    The base 'pipe' that cable fits into is > 30Mbps, so even 10Mbps does
    not consume all the available bandwidth. Each pipe services a number of
    customers. Should a pipe fill up, more equipment gets put in (as you
    suggest) to add another pipe and thus reduce the number of customers per
    pipe.

    Michael Newbery, Mar 30, 2006
  16. John

    David Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:09:47 +1200, JB wrote:

    > The 2mb cable is very good, but the 10Mbps high speed internet is a lot
    > better (obviously) if you want to watch live internet TV stations etc. The
    > cost of the 10Mbps service is still prohibitive (about $100 per month,
    > $131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet should
    > cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this? For
    > current rates see:
    >
    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing.cfm

    I agree the prices are high, but how do you conclude that "10Mbps ...
    cost(s) so much more than the 2Mbps" ?

    Sure, the top 2Mbs plan is $70 pm vs $100 for the cheapest 10Mbs plan.
    That's $30 extra, but for that you get 20GB extra traffic (ie. 40GB on the
    10Mbs plan vs 20GB for the 2Mbs plan).

    That works out at $3 per 2GB extra, which is HALF the rate appling on the
    2Mbs plan.

    ie. On the 2Mbs plan, you would be paying $100 pm as soon as you reach
    30.2GB pm. Any usage above that level and the 2Mbs plan will cost MORE
    than the 10Mbs plan. At 40GB pm, the 2Mbs plan would be $29 pm dearer and
    above that level it keeps getting worse (since the extra traffic rate on
    the 10Mbs plans is half that of the 2Mbs plans).

    The optimal plan depends on your typical usage pattern, but for its
    intended purpose, the 10Mbs plan is significantly cheaper, not dearer than
    the 2Mbs versions.

    Given the "live internet TV" issue you raise, perhaps there is a case for a
    10Mbs / 20GB plan. Better still, just convert the existing 2Mbs / 20Gb to
    10Mbs & leave all else as is. If it is a big issue, take it up with TC.

    David

    David, Mar 30, 2006
  17. John

    Dave Taylor Guest

    John <> wrote in news:ritzfpuuqd9c$.1mzizv390ul03.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > under the 2GB mark.

    So you don't download more than that a month.
    You answered your own question.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 30, 2006
  18. John

    JB Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:09:47 +1200, JB wrote:
    >
    >> The 2mb cable is very good, but the 10Mbps high speed internet is a lot
    >> better (obviously) if you want to watch live internet TV stations etc.
    >> The
    >> cost of the 10Mbps service is still prohibitive (about $100 per month,
    >> $131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet
    >> should
    >> cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this? For
    >> current rates see:
    >>
    >> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing.cfm

    > Given the "live internet TV" issue you raise, perhaps there is a case for
    > 10Mbs / 20GB plan. Better still, just convert the existing 2Mbs / 20Gb to
    > 10Mbs & leave all else as is. If it is a big issue, take it up with TC.
    >
    > David

    Some good logic there David, but I think the SPEED of the internet is of far
    greater importance than having a huge monthly traffic allowance. Why not
    have a 10Mbs 4 or 5 Gig plan, that would be a winner for me, and I'm sure
    heaps of other users as well. A lot of people can do with 1 or 2Gigs traffic
    per month, so I think the 10Mbs plans should be spread right across all
    levels of traffic plans. It seems ridiculous to me that the 10Mbps
    lightspeed plans come with either a massive 40gig or 80gig monthly
    allowance, what percentage of users would need 40gig, it's hard enough to
    use up 4 gig! Having 10Mbps is a huge advantage over 2Mbs, so why not make
    it available to more people, particularly if Telstra have the cable capacity
    now to increase the number of people who use 10Mbs.

    JB, Mar 31, 2006
  19. On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:08:57 +1200, someone purporting to be JB didst
    scrawl:

    > "David" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    > Some good logic there David, but I think the SPEED of the internet is of far
    > greater importance than having a huge monthly traffic allowance. Why not
    > have a 10Mbs 4 or 5 Gig plan, that would be a winner for me, and I'm sure
    > heaps of other users as well. A lot of people can do with 1 or 2Gigs traffic

    Now. What might they do when they discover all the things that become
    possible when you have real broadband? TCL don't throttle, either, they
    just do overage.

    > per month, so I think the 10Mbs plans should be spread right across all
    > levels of traffic plans. It seems ridiculous to me that the 10Mbps
    > lightspeed plans come with either a massive 40gig or 80gig monthly
    > allowance, what percentage of users would need 40gig, it's hard enough to
    > use up 4 gig! Having 10Mbps is a huge advantage over 2Mbs, so why not make
    > it available to more people, particularly if Telstra have the cable capacity
    > now to increase the number of people who use 10Mbs.

    One of the risks of higher speeds is that people suddenly find out that
    you can do so many more things that you could previously. Streaming TV,
    for example. When you only do overage charges, it's rather irresponsible
    to give people massively faster connections with no increase in their
    allowance. Why do you think Telecon are increasing the data caps of
    everyone who they're giving speed increases to?

    Matthew Poole, Mar 31, 2006
  20. John

    Invisible Guest

    Their (+ Paradise) new ADSL plans are underwhelming:

    TelstraClear HighSpeed2 2Mbps/128kbps 1GB* $38.95
    TelstraClear HighSpeed2 3.5Mbps/128kbps 5GB* $48.95
    TelstraClear HighSpeed4 3.5Mbps/128kbps 10GB* $68.95

    *After your monthly plan traffic allowance has been exceeded, a 'throttle on
    cap' will be applied which means that the speed of your service will be reduced
    to dial up speeds (a maximum of 64kbps). However you will not be charged for any
    additional usage.

    Invisible, Mar 31, 2006