    bluffing or whether one of them means business and will unilaterally
    cut off internet service if the charitable organisations 'do nothing'.

    Any idea of background behind this, anyone please.
    Peter, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Peter

    Alan Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > I am helping a couple of small charitable organisations with an
    > internet problem. They have Telecom phone service (business rates)
    > via a tiny PABX and DSL service with Paradise via one incoming
    > Telecom line. It seems that TelstraClear are trying to bully them
    > into going with a TelstraClear phone service (however the cost of
    > extending
    > 'Clear' cabling into the premises is probably prohibitive), with an
    > apparent threat to cut off internet service if the organisations do
    > nothing. It could be that TelstraClear may not be too unhappy if
    > They threw their lot in completely with Telecom meaing changing to
    > Xtra E-mail addresses.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether TelstraClear (and possibly Telecom) are
    > bluffing or whether one of them means business and will unilaterally
    > cut off internet service if the charitable organisations 'do
    > nothing'.
    >
    > Any idea of background behind this, anyone please.

    Let them change and then make sure that they never ever use an email
    address that is tied to an ISP - it is just totally dumb to tie
    yourself to a provider like that.

    My main address is a hotmail one that I have had since 1997 at least
    (perhaps earlier, I can't really recall but it was before MS bought
    it), and if you protect it carefully you should be able to stay spam
    free and not tied to an ISP.

    GMail is perhaps a good bet today?

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address
    Alan, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Peter

    EMB Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > My main address is a hotmail one that I have had since 1997 at least
    > (perhaps earlier, I can't really recall but it was before MS bought
    > it), and if you protect it carefully you should be able to stay spam
    > free and not tied to an ISP.
    >
    > GMail is perhaps a good bet today?

    I won't deal with any sort of an organisation that uses a 'free' email
    address - doing that sort of thing when you're a business/charity smells
    a bit too much of scam. Especially when for the annual cost of
    registering a domain and using something like Iserve's free mail
    forwarding you can have a permanent email address that *you* have
    control of.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:16:07 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >I won't deal with any sort of an organisation that uses a 'free' email
    >address - doing that sort of thing when you're a business/charity smells
    >a bit too much of scam. Especially when for the annual cost of
    >registering a domain and using something like Iserve's free mail
    >forwarding you can have a permanent email address that *you* have
    >control of.

    Thanks for these comments. With respect to one of charities, the
    published E-mail addresses are re-directed through its web server so
    no real problem (I did that for precisely this reason). The other
    group are sort of 'sub-tenants' and unfortunately use a ISP tied
    E-mail address.
    Peter, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Peter

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:17:14 GMT, (Peter)
    wrote:

    >I am helping a couple of small charitable organisations with an
    >internet problem. They have Telecom phone service (business rates)
    >via a tiny PABX and DSL service with Paradise via one incoming Telecom
    >line. It seems that TelstraClear are trying to bully them into going
    >with a TelstraClear phone service (however the cost of extending
    >'Clear' cabling into the premises is probably prohibitive), with an
    >apparent threat to cut off internet service if the organisations do
    >nothing. It could be that TelstraClear may not be too unhappy if They
    >threw their lot in completely with Telecom meaing changing to Xtra
    >E-mail addresses.
    >
    >Does anyone know whether TelstraClear (and possibly Telecom) are
    >bluffing or whether one of them means business and will unilaterally
    >cut off internet service if the charitable organisations 'do nothing'.
    >
    >Any idea of background behind this, anyone please.

    I just gave in and switched everything to TC. You dont have to have TC
    cabling. I still use the same line and connect to the same telecom
    exchange with the same number but my bill comes from TC. I am not sure
    but think it actually costs a little less than telecom.
    BUT I had thought they were going to stop pushing this unless you are
    in an area TC has already cabled.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Peter

    Richard Guest

    Bruce Knox wrote:
    > I just gave in and switched everything to TC. You dont have to have TC
    > cabling.

    You do if its in the area, part of there wholesale agreement with telecom.

    Richard, Nov 17, 2005
  7. In article <dlgslc$c72$>, EMB <>
    wrote:

    > Alan wrote:

    > > My main address is a hotmail one that I have had since 1997 at least
    > > (perhaps earlier, I can't really recall but it was before MS bought
    > > it), and if you protect it carefully you should be able to stay spam
    > > free and not tied to an ISP.
    > > GMail is perhaps a good bet today?

    > I won't deal with any sort of an organisation that uses a 'free' email
    > address - doing that sort of thing when you're a business/charity smells
    > a bit too much of scam. Especially when for the annual cost of
    > registering a domain and using something like Iserve's free mail
    > forwarding you can have a permanent email address that *you* have
    > control of.

    Not only that, but having an address with a free email service ties you
    to that particular email provider, which is arguably just as bad as
    having an email address that's tied to a particular ISP!

    As you say, having your own domain name is a good investment. I used to
    use bigfoot.com to provide my email and I was moderately happy with
    their service but ended up getting my own domain name so that if my
    email provider goes bust or the quality of their service deteriorates,
    then I can change my email provider without having to change my email
    address.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    Any opinions expressed in this posting are my own, and do not
    necessarily reflect the views of any other individual or organisation.
    Alastair.geek.nz, Nov 17, 2005