    changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.

    Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?

    Cheers.

    kornkob, Jul 18, 2005

  2. kornkob

    shannon Guest

    kornkob wrote:

    > TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
    > model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
    > to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had
    > for the last five years.
    >
    > Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
    > this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
    > extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
    > servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
    > changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
    >
    > Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Yes, I still have a static address with the Motorola cable modem

    shannon, Jul 18, 2005

  3. kornkob

    thing2 Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > kornkob wrote:
    >

    >>TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
    >>model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
    >>to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had
    >>for the last five years.
    >>
    >>Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
    >>this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
    >>extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
    >>servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
    >>changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
    >>
    >>Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
    >>
    >>Cheers.

    > Yes, I still have a static address with the Motorola cable modem

    Is it the same static IP?

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jul 18, 2005
  4. kornkob

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:25:32 +1200, "kornkob" <> wrote:

    >TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
    >model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
    >to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had for
    >the last five years.
    >
    >Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
    >this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
    >extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
    >servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
    >changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
    >
    >Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
    >
    >Cheers.

    Yes the New Modems are far better and have a off line standby button, they
    train in no time and remember there trained info.

    Yes the Fix IP will change as its a new system with these modems, but its
    still Fixed..

    Tony, Jul 18, 2005
  5. kornkob

    Ewen McNeill Guest

    In article <>, kornkob <> wrote:
    >TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
    >model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. [...]
    >Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
    >this cable modem swap?

    As I understand it from friends who have had this done, you do end
    up with a static IP address after the change, but unfortuantely it's a
    _different_ static IP address to the one you had before. Apparently this
    is necessary because the Com21 cable network and the Motorola cable
    network are separate, with separate ranges of addresses on them.

    Other than the change of address issue everyone I know who has had the
    change done has been happy with the results. (They all had it done
    because their Com21 service was getting pretty unreliable; apparently
    a known problem due to the age of the Com21 modems and other equipment.
    So far -- crosses fingers, touches wood -- my Com21 modem seems to mostly
    be surviving; I'm not looking forward to a change in IP address.)

    Ewen

    Ewen McNeill, Jul 19, 2005
  6. kornkob

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:33:04 +1200, thing2 <> wrote:

    >shannon wrote:
    >> kornkob wrote:
    >>

    >>>TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
    >>>model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
    >>>to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had
    >>>for the last five years.
    >>>
    >>>Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
    >>>this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
    >>>extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
    >>>servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
    >>>changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers.

    >> Yes, I still have a static address with the Motorola cable modem

    >Is it the same static IP?
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    no

    Tony, Jul 19, 2005
  7. kornkob

    Jerry Guest

    kornkob wrote:
    > TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
    > model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
    > to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had for
    > the last five years.
    >
    > Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
    > this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
    > extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
    > servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
    > changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
    >
    > Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Along with everyone else that has responded, I can confirm from
    experience that you will have a static, but *different* ip address.

    Jerry, Jul 19, 2005
  8. kornkob

    kornkob Guest

    "kornkob" <> wrote in message news:...
    > TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
    > model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
    > to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had
    > for the last five years.
    >
    > Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
    > this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
    > extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
    > servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
    > changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
    >
    > Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Thanks to all those that responded.

    kornkob, Jul 19, 2005
  9. kornkob

    thing2 Guest

    Ewen McNeill wrote:
    > In article <>, kornkob <> wrote:
    >
    >>TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
    >>model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. [...]
    >>Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
    >>this cable modem swap?

    > As I understand it from friends who have had this done, you do end
    > up with a static IP address after the change, but unfortuantely it's a
    > _different_ static IP address to the one you had before. Apparently this
    > is necessary because the Com21 cable network and the Motorola cable
    > network are separate, with separate ranges of addresses on them.
    >
    > Other than the change of address issue everyone I know who has had the
    > change done has been happy with the results. (They all had it done
    > because their Com21 service was getting pretty unreliable; apparently
    > a known problem due to the age of the Com21 modems and other equipment.
    > So far -- crosses fingers, touches wood -- my Com21 modem seems to mostly
    > be surviving; I'm not looking forward to a change in IP address.)
    >
    > Ewen

    Mine's 5 years old and still going strong.....guess they will hit me for
    a swap out at some stage...

    regards

    thing

    thing2, Jul 19, 2005