    one being used by the modem to get online has thrown me.
    Any help would be appreciated.

    TIA
    .dot, Sep 17, 2005

  2. .dot

    yada Guest

    ..dot wrote:
    > Hi,
    > A friend has just had Telstraclears cable internet installed
    > and wants to network it to his laptop as well as his desktop.
    > He has a 5 port switch. The telstra technician has set the ip
    > address on his desktop machine to an address starting with
    > 203.
    > My question is does anyone know how to set him up to access
    > the internet on both machines at the same time.
    > With other non cable connections I have normally set up
    > both machines in the same ip range and connected them to a switch or router
    > connected to the modem. However, the fact that the tech
    > from Telstra has changed the ip address to what I suspect is the
    > one being used by the modem to get online has thrown me.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA

    That is the static IP address for the internet, you could use this to
    connect to your friends computer from home. Best option is to buy a
    router and plug the cable modem into the WAN port and set up the WAN
    with this IP, and set all computers to DHCP off the router. Having a
    router give better securty as well due to being a NAT (network address
    translation). Our flat has done it this way (8 devices on our network,
    mainly wireless as the router is wireless).

    Hope that help
    yada, Sep 17, 2005

  3. .dot

    XP Guest

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:15:53 +1200, ".dot" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >A friend has just had Telstraclears cable internet installed
    >and wants to network it to his laptop as well as his desktop.
    >He has a 5 port switch. The telstra technician has set the ip
    >address on his desktop machine to an address starting with
    >203.
    >My question is does anyone know how to set him up to access
    >the internet on both machines at the same time.
    >With other non cable connections I have normally set up
    >both machines in the same ip range and connected them to a switch or router
    >connected to the modem. However, the fact that the tech
    >from Telstra has changed the ip address to what I suspect is the
    >one being used by the modem to get online has thrown me.
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >TIA

    Just set up the PC's for DHCP or Auto, the New Address is for the Modems
    that they now use.

    Set the Router for the Fixed User IP..
    XP, Sep 17, 2005
  4. In article <432bd2cb$>, ".dot" <>
    wrote:

    > With other non cable connections I have normally set up
    > both machines in the same ip range and connected them to a switch or router
    > connected to the modem. However, the fact that the tech
    > from Telstra has changed the ip address to what I suspect is the
    > one being used by the modem to get online has thrown me.
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    The cable modem is not a router. It does not have an IP address of its
    own. (Not *strictly* correct, but close enough for this discussion).

    So, the IP address that you have been given is the one that a single PC
    should use---or that your router should use.
    --
    Michael Newbery
    Michael Newbery, Sep 18, 2005