Telstraclear Business Broadband Terms

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SchoolTech, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    In their terms and conditions at
    http://www.clear.net.nz/products/high-speed/business-high-speed-internet-cable.html
    this paragraph appears:

    The services are only available to business customers in connectable
    premises on TelstraClear's cable network in Wellington and
    Christchurch and to customers who have line rental and calling
    services with TelstraClear. You acknowledge that termination of your
    line rental and calling services for any reason will be a cancellation
    of this agreement for the provision of services and may invoke the
    payment of early termination charges by you

    Does this mean ALL your lines have to be with Telstra? If you have say
    five lines with Telstra and one with Telecom will they invoke this
    clause and deny you broadband service?

    I interpret it that you are required to buy these services from
    Telstra on some lines, but not all. You can obviously only get their
    service on lines that are connected to Telstra's network.

    If this clause is intended to give Telstra sole control of all your
    phone lines it would be an unacceptable strongarm tactic.

    Note that there is a similar paragraph in the residential terms and
    conditions. I expect this to have the same meaning / impact, i.e. "Our
    services are only available on lines that are connected to our
    network". There is no exclusivity requirement in either of these sets
    of terms.

    SchoolTech, Nov 18, 2005

  2. SchoolTech

    thingy Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > In their terms and conditions at
    > http://www.clear.net.nz/products/high-speed/business-high-speed-internet-cable.html
    > this paragraph appears:
    >
    > The services are only available to business customers in connectable
    > premises on TelstraClear's cable network in Wellington and
    > Christchurch and to customers who have line rental and calling
    > services with TelstraClear. You acknowledge that termination of your
    > line rental and calling services for any reason will be a cancellation
    > of this agreement for the provision of services and may invoke the
    > payment of early termination charges by you
    >

    > Does this mean ALL your lines have to be with Telstra? If you have say
    > five lines with Telstra and one with Telecom will they invoke this
    > clause and deny you broadband service?
    >
    > I interpret it that you are required to buy these services from
    > Telstra on some lines, but not all. You can obviously only get their
    > service on lines that are connected to Telstra's network.
    >
    > If this clause is intended to give Telstra sole control of all your
    > phone lines it would be an unacceptable strongarm tactic.
    >

    > Note that there is a similar paragraph in the residential terms and
    > conditions. I expect this to have the same meaning / impact, i.e. "Our
    > services are only available on lines that are connected to our
    > network". There is no exclusivity requirement in either of these sets
    > of terms.

    Yep, and a better one is if you ask to them and their approved business
    partners to stop spamming you they can terminate your contract....

    Basically it is really dreconian....

    So much for business knows best so let thme get on with it....more like
    a facist state.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 18, 2005