TelstraClear Broadband?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Oct 7, 2010.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi gang,

    I've just had a door-knocker come visit me and offer me a TelstraClear
    Homeplan with landline, cell and broadband with 50GB of data a month for the
    same as I'm currently spending between Telecom, Actrix and 2degreesmobile.
    24 month contract, free Nokia cell and free 'basic modem' (not that I need
    either of those).

    I don't know though, I'm quite happy with my current set up. When I told him
    that he offered first one, then two months free so I wouldn't have to pay
    anything until January.

    So, what I would like input with please is what are people's experience of
    TelstraClear? Should I be considering this offer? I'm currently getting
    ~50GB of data/month from Actrix at basically full line speed (4.5M down,
    0.9M up) 24/7, it's never slow or choked. I wonder if TelstraClear would be
    as good? (Of course he told me that they would.)

    It seems a bit like change for the sake of it at the moment. I've signed an
    agreement but he's written on the top of it that it's not to be actioned
    until and unless I confirm. If he hasn't heard from me by Monday he'll call
    me and ask.

    Ultimately the plan is $138 / month for landline / wiring contract and free
    calling to Auckland (I'm in Pukekohe), 50GB broadband full-speed /
    full-speed and the cellphone with no free minutes but 500 free texts a
    month.

    One thing, I said I'd want to keep my cell number but I have about $50 on my
    (pre-pay) account with 2ยบ, I'd have to negotiate with him about getting that
    amount credited to my TC cell account if I were to move I guess. He caught
    me by surprise and I've been a bit burdened by pain recently so didn't think
    quickly enough about some things.

    I would very much appreciate input. I told him I was going to get the
    opinions of some friends and you guys are it. :)

    TIA,
    --
    Shaun.

    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
    monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Oct 7, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-10-07, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Hi gang,
    >
    > I've just had a door-knocker come visit me and offer me a TelstraClear
    > Homeplan with landline, cell and broadband with 50GB of data a month for
    > the same as I'm currently spending between Telecom, Actrix and 2degreesmobile.
    > 24 month contract, free Nokia cell and free 'basic modem' (not that I need
    > either of those).
    >
    > I don't know though, I'm quite happy with my current set up.


    Then why change? Why give in to the whim of the door knocker?

    > When I told him
    > that he offered first one, then two months free so I wouldn't have to pay
    > anything until January.


    Ah, here is your reward.
    >
    > So, what I would like input with please is what are people's experience of
    > TelstraClear? Should I be considering this offer? I'm currently getting
    > ~50GB of data/month from Actrix at basically full line speed (4.5M down,
    > 0.9M up) 24/7, it's never slow or choked. I wonder if TelstraClear would be
    > as good? (Of course he told me that they would.)


    Here is the acid test. The part along with other things which will go wrong
    or need your time to fix and give you frustration. The future, all for a
    mere two months free in 24. @4 months is along time on the wrong boat, train
    whatever.


    >
    > It seems a bit like change for the sake of it at the moment. I've signed an
    > agreement but he's written on the top of it that it's not to be actioned
    > until and unless I confirm. If he hasn't heard from me by Monday he'll call
    > me and ask.


    Now just what have you signed? The agreement, with a tag. My view is that
    you should have thrown the counter offer on the table and told the door
    knocker to come back Monady if they agreed to it.

    What is to stop them from switching you over? After all you have confirmed
    via a phone call, they will say this. A signature on an agreement is pretty
    powerful.

    Since it is a door to door sale I seem to remember that there is a cooling
    off period of a few days.

    Personally, I would exit if possible. After all the company is always going
    to be keen to sell you something. Door to door selling puts one at a
    disadvantage as the seller is under full power, you on the back foot. I
    always say No.

    Keep us informed
    Gordon, Oct 7, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 7 Oct 2010 08:04:00 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2010-10-07, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Hi gang,
    >>
    >> I've just had a door-knocker come visit me and offer me a TelstraClear
    >> Homeplan with landline, cell and broadband with 50GB of data a month for
    >> the same as I'm currently spending between Telecom, Actrix and 2degreesmobile.
    >> 24 month contract, free Nokia cell and free 'basic modem' (not that I need
    >> either of those).
    >>
    >> I don't know though, I'm quite happy with my current set up.

    >
    >Then why change? Why give in to the whim of the door knocker?
    >
    >> When I told him
    >> that he offered first one, then two months free so I wouldn't have to pay
    >> anything until January.

    >
    >Ah, here is your reward.
    >>
    >> So, what I would like input with please is what are people's experience of
    >> TelstraClear? Should I be considering this offer? I'm currently getting
    >> ~50GB of data/month from Actrix at basically full line speed (4.5M down,
    >> 0.9M up) 24/7, it's never slow or choked. I wonder if TelstraClear would be
    >> as good? (Of course he told me that they would.)

    >
    >Here is the acid test. The part along with other things which will go wrong
    >or need your time to fix and give you frustration. The future, all for a
    >mere two months free in 24. @4 months is along time on the wrong boat, train
    >whatever.
    >
    >
    >>
    >> It seems a bit like change for the sake of it at the moment. I've signed an
    >> agreement but he's written on the top of it that it's not to be actioned
    >> until and unless I confirm. If he hasn't heard from me by Monday he'll call
    >> me and ask.

    >
    >Now just what have you signed? The agreement, with a tag. My view is that
    >you should have thrown the counter offer on the table and told the door
    >knocker to come back Monady if they agreed to it.
    >
    >What is to stop them from switching you over? After all you have confirmed
    >via a phone call, they will say this. A signature on an agreement is pretty
    >powerful.
    >
    >Since it is a door to door sale I seem to remember that there is a cooling
    >off period of a few days.
    >
    >Personally, I would exit if possible. After all the company is always going
    >to be keen to sell you something. Door to door selling puts one at a
    >disadvantage as the seller is under full power, you on the back foot. I
    >always say No.
    >
    >Keep us informed




    TelstraClear no Usenet News feed, from what I remember Actrix still
    has.


    Also very hard to get help and even then they did know how to fix
    there fault..


    They had a Raffle but I could not get on due to the fact they ware using
    DoubleClick Spyware/Addware and I had it blocked.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoubleClick


    I finally worked it out myself..
    William Brown, Oct 7, 2010
    #3
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2010-10-07, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Hi gang,
    >>
    >> I've just had a door-knocker come visit me and offer me a
    >> TelstraClear Homeplan with landline, cell and broadband with 50GB of
    >> data a month for
    >> the same as I'm currently spending between Telecom, Actrix and
    >> 2degreesmobile. 24 month contract, free Nokia cell and free 'basic
    >> modem' (not that I need either of those).
    >>
    >> I don't know though, I'm quite happy with my current set up.

    >
    > Then why change? Why give in to the whim of the door knocker?


    My current Actrix plan hasn't been offered for a long time. I'm
    'grandfathered' on it but they call me periodically to see if I'll switch.
    The problem is nothing they offer currently is anywhere near as good as the
    plan I'm on now. I have anxiety issues. Heh.

    >> When I told him
    >> that he offered first one, then two months free so I wouldn't have
    >> to pay anything until January.

    >
    > Ah, here is your reward.



    Indeed. Money's getting really tight. GST went up 2.5% last week and my
    invalid's benefit went up 0.48%. I'm already counting every cent each month
    to meet the bills. (Got both my Actrix and Telecom bills in the last couple
    days, both gone up 2.5%.)

    >> So, what I would like input with please is what are people's
    >> experience of TelstraClear? Should I be considering this offer? I'm
    >> currently getting ~50GB of data/month from Actrix at basically full
    >> line speed (4.5M down,
    >> 0.9M up) 24/7, it's never slow or choked. I wonder if TelstraClear
    >> would be as good? (Of course he told me that they would.)

    >
    > Here is the acid test. The part along with other things which will go
    > wrong or need your time to fix and give you frustration. The future,
    > all for a mere two months free in 24. @4 months is along time on the
    > wrong boat, train whatever.
    >
    >> It seems a bit like change for the sake of it at the moment. I've
    >> signed an agreement but he's written on the top of it that it's not
    >> to be actioned until and unless I confirm. If he hasn't heard from
    >> me by Monday he'll call me and ask.

    >
    > Now just what have you signed? The agreement, with a tag. My view is
    > that you should have thrown the counter offer on the table and told
    > the door knocker to come back Monady if they agreed to it.


    See below, I really wasn't at my best today.

    > What is to stop them from switching you over? After all you have
    > confirmed via a phone call, they will say this. A signature on an
    > agreement is pretty powerful.
    >
    > Since it is a door to door sale I seem to remember that there is a
    > cooling off period of a few days.
    >
    > Personally, I would exit if possible. After all the company is always
    > going to be keen to sell you something. Door to door selling puts one
    > at a disadvantage as the seller is under full power, you on the back
    > foot. I always say No.


    Yeah, I usually do too. Instantly. However I had the worst day for a very
    long time with my back pain today which left me not completely myself late
    this afternoon. Many more days like that and I'll be taking a long walk off
    a short pier. If I'd been able to afford to keep my firearms licence current
    instead of letting it expire when it came up for renewal I'd be considering
    buying a cheap shotgun about now. If I'd had one this morning I'd probably
    have eaten it.

    > Keep us informed


    I've pretty much decided to tell him to stick it. I'll call him tomorrow.

    Thanks for your input.
    --
    Shaun.

    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
    monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Oct 7, 2010
    #4
  5. ~misfit~

    David Empson Guest

    William Brown <> wrote:

    > On 7 Oct 2010 08:04:00 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    > >On 2010-10-07, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > >> Hi gang,
    > >>
    > >> I've just had a door-knocker come visit me and offer me a TelstraClear
    > >> Homeplan with landline, cell and broadband with 50GB of data a month
    > >> for the same as I'm currently spending between Telecom, Actrix and
    > >> 2degreesmobile. 24 month contract, free Nokia cell and free 'basic
    > >> modem' (not that I need either of those).
    > >>
    > >> I don't know though, I'm quite happy with my current set up.

    > >
    > >Then why change? Why give in to the whim of the door knocker?
    > >
    > >> When I told him
    > >> that he offered first one, then two months free so I wouldn't have to pay
    > >> anything until January.

    > >
    > >Ah, here is your reward.
    > >>
    > >> So, what I would like input with please is what are people's experience
    > >> of TelstraClear? Should I be considering this offer? I'm currently
    > >> getting ~50GB of data/month from Actrix at basically full line speed
    > >> (4.5M down, 0.9M up) 24/7, it's never slow or choked. I wonder if
    > >> TelstraClear would be as good? (Of course he told me that they would.)

    > >
    > >Here is the acid test. The part along with other things which will go wrong
    > >or need your time to fix and give you frustration. The future, all for a
    > >mere two months free in 24. @4 months is along time on the wrong boat, train
    > >whatever.
    > >
    > >
    > >>
    > >> It seems a bit like change for the sake of it at the moment. I've
    > >> signed an agreement but he's written on the top of it that it's not to
    > >> be actioned until and unless I confirm. If he hasn't heard from me by
    > >> Monday he'll call me and ask.

    > >
    > >Now just what have you signed? The agreement, with a tag. My view is that
    > >you should have thrown the counter offer on the table and told the door
    > >knocker to come back Monady if they agreed to it.
    > >
    > >What is to stop them from switching you over? After all you have confirmed
    > >via a phone call, they will say this. A signature on an agreement is pretty
    > >powerful.
    > >
    > >Since it is a door to door sale I seem to remember that there is a cooling
    > >off period of a few days.
    > >
    > >Personally, I would exit if possible. After all the company is always going
    > >to be keen to sell you something. Door to door selling puts one at a
    > >disadvantage as the seller is under full power, you on the back foot. I
    > >always say No.
    > >
    > >Keep us informed

    >
    >
    >
    > TelstraClear no Usenet News feed, from what I remember Actrix still
    > has.


    I gave up on using the Actrix news server about four months ago because
    their news feed was unreliable. Posts coming from certain people/servers
    had a very high loss rate, I suspect due to bad behaviour at one of
    Actrix's NNTP peers, or one further "upstream" in the path from those
    particular servers. This resulted in missing many replies to posts, gaps
    in threads, etc. Too frustrating.

    I tried talking to the Actrix help desk about it and they improved
    things a little, but the fundamental problem was still there, and
    outside of Actrix's control.

    All good now that I've switched news servers to Eternal September (which
    is free).

    > Also very hard to get help and even then they did know how to fix
    > there fault..


    Agreed. My main dislike of TelstraClear is their help desk. Actrix is
    way better.

    If I was able to get Actrix via TelstraClear's cable, I'd still be using
    them as my primary ISP. I'll probably dump TelstraClear once a fast
    enough service is available as a replacement (at a reasonable price).

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Oct 8, 2010
    #5
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs David Empson wrote:
    > William Brown <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >> TelstraClear no Usenet News feed, from what I remember Actrix still
    >> has.

    >
    > I gave up on using the Actrix news server about four months ago
    > because their news feed was unreliable.


    I gave up using Actrix' news server a couple years ago (I also use ES) as I
    got into a flame-fight with some clown in Aussie and he complained to
    Actrix. They sent me a written warning, my 'one and only' as apparently I'd
    breached their T&C by using their 'service' to defame someone.
    --
    Shaun.

    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
    monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Oct 8, 2010
    #6
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:

    [snips]
    >> Keep us informed

    >
    > I've pretty much decided to tell him to stick it. I'll call him
    > tomorrow.


    I called the door-knocker on his cell and told him I didn't want to follow
    up and also called TelstraClear (~20 minutes until I got to speak to
    someone!) and made it very clear that I didn't want to become a customer of
    theirs.

    Thanks again for input,
    --
    Shaun.

    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
    monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Oct 8, 2010
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. SchoolTech

    Telstraclear Business Broadband Terms

    SchoolTech, Nov 18, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    425
    thingy
    Nov 18, 2005
  2. Petrushka

    Broadband on TelstraClear phone line

    Petrushka, Jan 27, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    1,011
    Don Hills
    Feb 2, 2006
  3. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    7,533
    Lloyd
    Apr 15, 2006
  4. Finch

    TelstraClear Broadband Issues?

    Finch, Aug 22, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    1,033
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Aug 25, 2006
  5. Craig Shore

    Re: TelstraClear's broadband usage meter

    Craig Shore, May 20, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,025
    Craig Shore
    May 20, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page