Telstra Moves to Open Source / Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,7136841^15306^^nbv^,00.html

    Telstra goes open-source
    Michael Sainsbury and Kelly Mills
    SEPTEMBER 02, 2003
    TELSTRA, Australia's largest technology company, has nailed its colours
    firmly to the mast of open source software, creating a potential nightmare
    for Microsoft and sending shivers through a range of traditional platform
    providers.

    Under Project Firefly, Telstra switched on a desktop trial in March using
    two flavours of Linux and a Citrix-based Windows system, aimed at shifting
    up to 85 per cent of its computing desktops to thin-client technology.

    Telstra chief information officer Jeff Smith said he was determined to end a
    history of internal duplication and technology incompatibility by deploying
    open-source software right across the telecoms giant, which spends $1.5
    billion each year on information technology. He aims to slice this cost in
    half within three years.

    "I would see a big movement from Windows and Unix to Linux," Mr Smith said.
    "One of the by-products of Linux having its heritage in Unix is that it is
    a very stable operating system."

    ......the rest is on the web site.....

    steve, Sep 12, 2003

  2. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "steve" wrote
    > Under Project Firefly, Telstra switched on a desktop trial in March using
    > two flavours of Linux and a Citrix-based Windows system, aimed at shifting
    > up to 85 per cent of its computing desktops to thin-client technology.

    I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux machine,
    to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on my Linux box?

    T.N.O., Sep 12, 2003

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > "steve" wrote
    >> Under Project Firefly, Telstra switched on a desktop trial in March using
    >> two flavours of Linux and a Citrix-based Windows system, aimed at
    >> shifting up to 85 per cent of its computing desktops to thin-client
    >> technology.

    > I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux
    > machine, to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on my
    > Linux box?

    Yes....anything the server will run.

    There are many ways to access "legacy" Windows applications....and this is
    one of them.

    But Telstra say they want to use Star Office instead of MS Office....which
    is a good sign.

    The more heavy hitters using versions of Open Office, the better it will
    get.

    steve, Sep 12, 2003
  4. On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:16:47 +1200, steve wrote:

    >> I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux
    >> machine, to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on my
    >> Linux box?

    > Yes....anything the server will run.

    It's cheaper to use Windows professional and rdesktop though. You still
    pay a per-seat license, but you don't have the added Citrix costs.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 12, 2003
  5. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "steve" wrote
    > Yes....anything the server will run.

    Handy... Games? would it depend on the video card in the server, or the
    Client?

    > But Telstra say they want to use Star Office instead of MS Office....which
    > is a good sign.
    > The more heavy hitters using versions of Open Office, the better it will
    > get.

    That's good, I'd use OOo if I could at work, but so many users have weird
    things that seem to make OOo lock up.

    T.N.O., Sep 12, 2003
  6. steve

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:30:51 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:16:47 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >>> I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux
    >>> machine, to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on
    >>> my Linux box?

    >> Yes....anything the server will run.

    > It's cheaper to use Windows professional and rdesktop though. You still
    > pay a per-seat license, but you don't have the added Citrix costs.

    It'd be even cheaper to use Linux on both the server and the thin clients,
    and, if you're wanting to run Windows applications, to run an emulator.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Sep 13, 2003
  7. steve

    dOTdASH Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "steve" wrote
    > > Yes....anything the server will run.

    > Handy... Games? would it depend on the video card in the server, or the
    > Client?
    >
    > > But Telstra say they want to use Star Office instead of MS

    Office....which
    > > is a good sign.
    > > The more heavy hitters using versions of Open Office, the better it will
    > > get.

    > That's good, I'd use OOo if I could at work, but so many users have weird
    > things that seem to make OOo lock up.

    And that's a problem with "weird things" rather than OOo ? Do the "weird
    things" cause MS Office to lock up ?

    dOTdASH, Sep 13, 2003
  8. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "dOTdASH" wrote
    > And that's a problem with "weird things" rather than OOo ? Do the "weird
    > things" cause MS Office to lock up ?

    nope... they were created in Word(mostly).

    T.N.O., Sep 13, 2003
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler allegedly said:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:16:47 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >>> I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux
    >>> machine, to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on my
    >>> Linux box?

    >> Yes....anything the server will run.

    > It's cheaper to use Windows professional and rdesktop though. You still
    > pay a per-seat license, but you don't have the added Citrix costs.

    But you still have all the OTHER Windows problems.

    steve, Sep 13, 2003
  10. steve

    Gib Bogle Guest

    dOTdASH wrote:

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"dOTdASH" wrote
    >>
    >>>And that's a problem with "weird things" rather than OOo ? Do the "weird
    >>>things" cause MS Office to lock up ?

    >>nope... they were created in Word(mostly).
    >>

    > Perhaps your post could read: "many users have created Word doc's but OOo
    > locks up when I try to read most of them"
    >
    > Call me a cynic but many people might interpret this as a shortfall of OOo
    > rather than anything to do with your end users or MS Office.

    Call me a cynic but I wouldn't be surprised if MS has a group devoted to
    developing code in MSWord that will cause a lock-up when a Word file is
    opened by OOo. WTF is all that binary stuff that comes with a Word
    file, sometimes making it several times larger than it needs to be?
    Does anyone outside of MS know?

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Sep 13, 2003
  11. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "dOTdASH" wrote
    > Perhaps your post could read: "many users have created Word doc's but OOo
    > locks up when I try to read most of them"
    > Call me a cynic but many people might interpret this as a shortfall of OOo
    > rather than anything to do with your end users or MS Office.

    6 or half dozen... either way it is said, it is still essentially the same
    thing.
    There are docs that OOo locks up on.

    Well, if OOo wants to be a replacement for MS Word, then it will have to try
    to figure out what those docs are... otherwise corporates aren't gonna use
    it, that's why we don't at work(I have asked).

    T.N.O., Sep 13, 2003
  12. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Gib Bogle" wrote
    > WTF is all that binary stuff that comes with a Word
    > file, sometimes making it several times larger than it needs to be?
    > Does anyone outside of MS know?

    yes... it's the stuff that got Tony Blair caught out with some press release
    about Iraq.
    The revision and authoring info on the last 10 users or something.

    T.N.O., Sep 13, 2003
  13. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "dOTdASH" wrote
    > > Perhaps your post could read: "many users have created Word doc's but

    OOo
    > > locks up when I try to read most of them"
    > > Call me a cynic but many people might interpret this as a shortfall of

    OOo
    > > rather than anything to do with your end users or MS Office.

    > 6 or half dozen... either way it is said, it is still essentially the same
    > thing.
    > There are docs that OOo locks up on.
    >
    > Well, if OOo wants to be a replacement for MS Word, then it will have to

    try
    > to figure out what those docs are... otherwise corporates aren't gonna use
    > it, that's why we don't at work(I have asked).

    It might be just a problem clicking on MSoffice documents to open them
    rather than using the import function which runs the filters.
    If corporates choose to use openoffice, then it becomes their default, and
    the majority of their documents internally are stored in OpenOffice file
    format.
    Similar to back in the day when Wordperfect was their choice.
    The OpenOffice MSOffice filters are a sub project under continuous
    development.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 13, 2003
  14. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Olson Johnson" wrote
    > It might be just a problem clicking on MSoffice documents to open them
    > rather than using the import function which runs the filters.

    But that is a few too many clicks for some users.

    > If corporates choose to use openoffice, then it becomes their default, and
    > the majority of their documents internally are stored in OpenOffice file
    > format.

    But anything from anywhere else (usually) isnt.

    T.N.O., Sep 14, 2003
  15. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Olson Johnson" wrote
    > > It might be just a problem clicking on MSoffice documents to open them
    > > rather than using the import function which runs the filters.

    > But that is a few too many clicks for some users.

    It works

    > > If corporates choose to use openoffice, then it becomes their default,

    and
    > > the majority of their documents internally are stored in OpenOffice file
    > > format.

    > But anything from anywhere else (usually) isnt.

    It can be imported once and saved in OpenOffice format

    Olson Johnson, Sep 14, 2003
  16. "Who is this" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "T.N.O." <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Well, if OOo wants to be a replacement for MS Word, then it will have to

    try
    > > to figure out what those docs are... otherwise corporates aren't gonna

    use
    > > it, that's why we don't at work(I have asked).
    > >

    > Same where I work. It is either 100% compatable (joke since MS products
    > are not always compatable themselves) then it is not wanted. We deal
    > with thousands of different clients 90% or more whom use word. If we can
    > not exchange documents with them then it is a waste of time.

    How are you going to exchange documents with organisations like Telstra who
    use OpenOffice ?

    Olson Johnson, Sep 14, 2003
  17. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Olson Johnson" wrote
    > > > But that is a few too many clicks for some users.

    > > It works

    > But like i said, it is too many clicks for most users... why doesnt OOo

    just
    > run the filters on double click of a file?

    There is probably an FAQ at the OpenOffice site

    Olson Johnson, Sep 14, 2003
  18. steve

    Chris MAyhew Guest

    Gib Bogle <> wrote in

    > dOTdASH wrote:
    >
    >> "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"dOTdASH" wrote

    >>>nope... they were created in Word(mostly).
    >>>

    >> Perhaps your post could read: "many users have created Word doc's but
    >> OOo locks up when I try to read most of them"
    >>
    >> Call me a cynic but many people might interpret this as a shortfall
    >> of OOo rather than anything to do with your end users or MS Office.

    > Call me a cynic but I wouldn't be surprised if MS has a group devoted
    > to developing code in MSWord that will cause a lock-up when a Word
    > file is opened by OOo. WTF is all that binary stuff that comes with a
    > Word file, sometimes making it several times larger than it needs to
    > be? Does anyone outside of MS know?
    >
    > Gib

    As a matter of interest I have been working on some spreadsheets in OO
    format which save as a 755KB file but saving as Excel it comes to more than
    5.5 MB - I was actually quite suprised about that.

    As far as word files are concerned the only problem I've had has been with
    formatting, mainly tables (I've checked by opening in a word viewer) but
    this *seems* to be less of a problem now days.

    Chris MAyhew, Sep 14, 2003
  19. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Olson Johnson" wrote
    > > > But that is a few too many clicks for some users.

    > > It works

    > But like i said, it is too many clicks for most users... why doesnt OOo

    just
    > run the filters on double click of a file?
    >
    > > > But anything from anywhere else (usually) isnt.

    > > It can be imported once and saved in OpenOffice format

    > not the point, if it isn't 100% working out of the box, it isn't good
    > enough.

    Those are issues that Steve Ballmer the Microsoft CEO would have raised with
    Telstra when he flew in to try and save the day.
    Telstra's pilot is for 250 desktops rising to 500 in October, its a Sun
    installation with StarOffice, so Sun would probably be asked to sort that
    out, don't you think ?
    For the current version of openoffice, the autopilot document conversion is
    the tool.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 14, 2003
  20. "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > Those are issues that Steve Ballmer the Microsoft CEO would have raised

    with
    > Telstra when he flew in to try and save the day.
    > Telstra's pilot is for 250 desktops rising to 500 in October, its a Sun
    > installation with StarOffice, so Sun would probably be asked to sort that
    > out, don't you think ?
    > For the current version of openoffice, the autopilot document conversion

    is
    > the tool.

    Try 70 users, not 250 desktops. And this trial isn't for Telstra's use
    internally, its for a service offering that they are looking to take out to
    Australian corporate market. As part of the trial they're trying Windows
    XP and Linux. It has nothing to do with their internal desktops.

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 14, 2003