Telstra is total crap (90 minute wait times - Who else is good?)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by h_finch@paradise.net.nz, Jun 9, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I've got a problem with my Telstra Broadband.

    It is dropping out every few minutes for 60 plus seconds or so,
    killing any active connections I have.

    The rest of the time it times out during loading pages, it won't load
    graphics for example.

    What in the name of the good lord jesus do I have to do to get any
    kind of service out of these guys, I've called tonight (Monday FFS)
    and all I get is a 90 plus minute wait time.

    I guess the upside is I'm using my cellphone.

    I don't give a flying one about how to fix this, I want to know who in
    the Wellington area is even half decent at providing broadband.

    Anyone?

    , Jun 9, 2008

  2. Guest

    > Cable or ADSL..?

    Cable...

    , Jun 9, 2008

  3. Enkidu Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I've got a problem with my Telstra Broadband.
    >>
    >> It is dropping out every few minutes for 60 plus seconds or so,
    >> killing any active connections I have.
    >>
    >> The rest of the time it times out during loading pages, it won't load
    >> graphics for example.
    >>
    >> What in the name of the good lord jesus do I have to do to get any
    >> kind of service out of these guys, I've called tonight (Monday FFS)
    >> and all I get is a 90 plus minute wait time.
    >>
    >> I guess the upside is I'm using my cellphone.
    >>
    >> I don't give a flying one about how to fix this, I want to know who in
    >> the Wellington area is even half decent at providing broadband.
    >>
    >> Anyone?

    > http://192.168.100.1/ may give you some clues.

    A private IP address?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 9, 2008
  4. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > I have found that cable in the pasts was up more or less
    > 99.999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.

    Wow, 33 nines. That means, in a year, it's only down about long enough for a
    photon to cross an atomic nucleus.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 9, 2008
  5. peterwn Guest

    On Jun 9, 9:08 pm, Brian Mathews <>
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 01:04:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >
    > >> Cable or ADSL..?

    > >Cable...

    > I have found that cable in the pasts was up more or less 99.999999999999999999999999999999% of the
    > time.
    >
    > May be they should check cable feed signal to the modem for balance and or change the modem..

    If the op has the old style Motorola modem (it has an internal power
    supply whereas the new ones have a power 'wart'), ask Telstra Clear to
    replace it. They will probably check the signal level at the same
    time. They will send a tech to do the change. They register the MAC
    codes of the modems at a central point at the time of installation so
    only registered modems will work.

    A difference between cable and ADSL is that with cable, the coax
    bandwidth allocated to internet is shared with those in the immediate
    neighbourhood. Hence heavy use can degrade service, and if frequent,
    indicate the need for a network rearrangement. They have given
    rebated at their own volition in these situations pending upgrade
    work.

    peterwn, Jun 9, 2008
  6. Dave Taylor Guest

    Keith <> wrote in news:MPG.22b7d18ed860a7729897d3
    @news.clear.net.nz:

    > I seem to be unable to get a working connection on my (Clear) cable
    > modem at times and I usually resort to pulling the power jack out of it
    > to persuade it to behave.

    Symptoms of poor levels. The modems have a range they work in and a narrow
    range they work really well in. Have the help desk check the levels and
    modem logs remotely; then they can decide if they need to send a truck. My
    modem had bad levels and the tech adjusted my lines and replaced a splitter
    outside that completely fixed the intermittent internet problem I was
    having.
    Seasons change and the lines age. Water can cause problems and the sun can
    loosen connections. None of those problems are yours to fix.
    --

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 10, 2008
  7. EMB Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 00:45:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >
    >> I've got a problem with my Telstra Broadband.
    >>
    >> It is dropping out every few minutes for 60 plus seconds or so,
    >> killing any active connections I have.
    >>
    >> The rest of the time it times out during loading pages, it won't load
    >> graphics for example.
    >>
    >> What in the name of the good lord jesus do I have to do to get any
    >> kind of service out of these guys, I've called tonight (Monday FFS)
    >> and all I get is a 90 plus minute wait time.
    >>
    >> I guess the upside is I'm using my cellphone.
    >>
    >> I don't give a flying one about how to fix this, I want to know who in
    >> the Wellington area is even half decent at providing broadband.
    >>
    >> Anyone?

    > Cable or ADSL..?
    >
    > ADSL goes via Telescum..

    It does *NOT* go near Telecom's network* in many cases. Telstraclear
    have a fairly comprehensive copper/fibre network in many main centres.

    * I have non-Telecom network Telstraclear ADSL connections in both
    Auckland and Chch.

    EMB, Jun 10, 2008
  8. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > A friend that worked for them ( There top tech around here) came around
    > and check the signal levels over the new cable bandwidth and they were way
    > out, he stated to me they were never adjusted from the original cable
    > install, so he went up the street and balanced the levels.

    You mean he couldn't simply SSH into an appropriate server from your place?

    Having to physically go to a box and fiddle a knob just seems so ...
    un-telepresent ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2008
  9. Dave Taylor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in

    > You mean he couldn't simply SSH into an appropriate server from your
    > place?
    >
    > Having to physically go to a box and fiddle a knob just seems so ...
    > un-telepresent ...

    If it is a physical filter that is inline, then what are you going to do
    remotely?
    It is not knobs, and even if it is, it will be a little pot in a little box
    at the top of a pole.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 10, 2008
  10. In article <Xns9AB9E6DE7D69Ddaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor
    did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    >
    >> You mean he couldn't simply SSH into an appropriate server from your
    >> place?
    >>
    >> Having to physically go to a box and fiddle a knob just seems so ...
    >> un-telepresent ...

    > If it is a physical filter that is inline, then what are you going to do
    > remotely?

    Send a command to a remote controller, of course.

    And the programs for doing this would automatically log all their activity,
    and who the authorization came from. That way you can always trace back
    where all configuration changes came from, and what they did. I would have
    thought this was the obvious way to do things, in service industries where
    mistakes can easily lead to deluges of customer complaints.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 11, 2008
  11. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <fee6ce2c-78cd-42c8-9498-40deb3694b20
    @x1g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > I've got a problem with my Telstra Broadband.
    >
    > It is dropping out every few minutes for 60 plus seconds or so,
    > killing any active connections I have.
    >
    > The rest of the time it times out during loading pages, it won't load
    > graphics for example.
    >
    > What in the name of the good lord jesus do I have to do to get any
    > kind of service out of these guys, I've called tonight (Monday FFS)
    > and all I get is a 90 plus minute wait time.

    I got the same in the evening - gave up.

    I phoned them at 9:15 am, SIX MINUTE wait time.

    Suggest you call 'em in the morn! :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 11, 2008
  12. Dave Taylor Guest

    > Send a command to a remote controller, of course.
    >
    > And the programs for doing this would automatically log all their
    > activity, and who the authorization came from. That way you can always
    > trace back where all configuration changes came from, and what they
    > did. I would have thought this was the obvious way to do things, in
    > service industries where mistakes can easily lead to deluges of
    > customer complaints.

    That kind of infrastructure costs heaps to implement.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 11, 2008