    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    http://www.nrkn.com/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Nik Coughin

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:50:08 +1200, Nik Coughin wrote:

    > Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it suggested to
    > me that it may be causing the problem with not being able to access
    > vodafone.co.nz:

    Have you tried a traceroute?

    If you end up getting there via overseas routers, then it probably is
    something to do with the peering.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jul 7, 2004
  4. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:50:08 +1200, Nik Coughin wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it
    >> suggested to me that it may be causing the problem with not being
    >> able to access vodafone.co.nz:

    > Have you tried a traceroute?
    >
    > If you end up getting there via overseas routers, then it probably is
    > something to do with the peering.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Tracing route to www.vodafone.co.nz [202.73.199.35]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.7.1
    2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.138
    3 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms 219-88-160-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz
    [219.88.160.1]

    4 46 ms 44 ms 43 ms 203.96.122.59
    5 54 ms 50 ms 61 ms 202.50.245.193
    6 47 ms 46 ms 48 ms 203.96.120.30
    7 44 ms 46 ms 45 ms vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
    [202.49
    ..163.70]
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    etc.

    I don't end up getting there at all, it can't seem to get past
    vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz.
    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004
  5. In article <jpKGc.8027$>, "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
    >Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it suggested to me
    >that it may be causing the problem with not being able to access
    >vodafone.co.nz:

    I know a fair bit about this, and it's not the cause of your problem.
    TelstraClear have absolutely NOTHING to do with the traceroute you
    posted in another post. That connection is Telecon from end-to-end -
    Global Gateway is Telescum's wholesale arm, and you're using Xtra DSL.

    Plus, Testicular a) aren't de-peering until 1 Novermber, and b) don't
    have control of the peering points. Their exit will not affect other
    people at the peering exchange, other than the changes to traffic
    roughts.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Jul 7, 2004
  6. Nik Coughin

    steve Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:50:08 +1200, Nik Coughin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it
    >>> suggested to me that it may be causing the problem with not being
    >>> able to access vodafone.co.nz:

    >> Have you tried a traceroute?
    >>
    >> If you end up getting there via overseas routers, then it probably is
    >> something to do with the peering.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Anton

    > Tracing route to www.vodafone.co.nz [202.73.199.35]
    > over a maximum of 30 hops:
    >
    > 1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.7.1
    > 2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.138
    > 3 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms 219-88-160-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz
    > [219.88.160.1]
    >
    > 4 46 ms 44 ms 43 ms 203.96.122.59
    > 5 54 ms 50 ms 61 ms 202.50.245.193
    > 6 47 ms 46 ms 48 ms 203.96.120.30
    > 7 44 ms 46 ms 45 ms vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
    > [202.49
    > .163.70]
    > 8 * * * Request timed out.
    > 9 * * * Request timed out.
    > etc.
    >
    > I don't end up getting there at all, it can't seem to get past
    > vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz.

    Looks like their (Vodafone's) firewall does not return pings.

    This is not usual.
    steve, Jul 7, 2004
  7. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > In article <jpKGc.8027$>, "Nik Coughin"
    > <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
    >> Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it
    >> suggested to me that it may be causing the problem with not being
    >> able to access vodafone.co.nz:
    >>

    > I know a fair bit about this, and it's not the cause of your problem.
    > TelstraClear have absolutely NOTHING to do with the traceroute you
    > posted in another post. That connection is Telecon from end-to-end -
    > Global Gateway is Telescum's wholesale arm, and you're using Xtra DSL.
    >
    > Plus, Testicular a) aren't de-peering until 1 Novermber, and b) don't
    > have control of the peering points. Their exit will not affect other
    > people at the peering exchange, other than the changes to traffic
    > roughts.

    Ah... thanks Matthew.
    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004
  8. Nik Coughin

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Nik Coughin wrote:
    >
    >> AD. wrote:

    >>> Have you tried a traceroute?
    >>>
    >>> If you end up getting there via overseas routers, then it probably is
    >>> something to do with the peering.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Anton

    >> Tracing route to www.vodafone.co.nz [202.73.199.35]
    >> over a maximum of 30 hops:
    >>
    >> 1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.7.1
    >> 2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.138
    >> 3 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms 219-88-160-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz
    >> [219.88.160.1]
    >>
    >> 4 46 ms 44 ms 43 ms 203.96.122.59
    >> 5 54 ms 50 ms 61 ms 202.50.245.193
    >> 6 47 ms 46 ms 48 ms 203.96.120.30
    >> 7 44 ms 46 ms 45 ms vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
    >> [202.49
    >> .163.70]
    >> 8 * * * Request timed out.
    >> 9 * * * Request timed out.
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> I don't end up getting there at all, it can't seem to get past
    >> vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz.

    > Looks like their (Vodafone's) firewall does not return pings.
    >
    > This is not usual.

    UM....shudda been: This is not UNusual......
    steve, Jul 8, 2004