    Wellygoggles Guest

    Running as slow as a dog here in Miramar this morning. Anyone else having
    problems?
    Wellygoggles, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Wellygoggles

    jw5 Guest

    No problem in the Hutt valley.

    jw5, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Wellygoggles

    DUser Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:16:10 +1300, Wellygoggles wrote:

    > Running as slow as a dog here in Miramar this morning. Anyone else having
    > problems?

    Its still real slow and unresponsive for me too in Wellington
    DUser, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Wellygoggles

    M Guest

    "DUser" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:16:10 +1300, Wellygoggles wrote:
    >
    > > Running as slow as a dog here in Miramar this morning. Anyone else

    having
    > > problems?

    > Its still real slow and unresponsive for me too in Wellington

    ping times to you seem to be fast and reliable

    my com21 modem gets all claggy like that sometimes - cycling the power sorts
    it out
    M, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Wellygoggles

    Wellygoggles Guest

    "M" <> wrote in message

    > "DUser" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:16:10 +1300, Wellygoggles wrote:
    > >
    > > > Running as slow as a dog here in Miramar this morning. Anyone else

    > having
    > > > problems?

    > > Its still real slow and unresponsive for me too in Wellington

    > ping times to you seem to be fast and reliable
    >
    > my com21 modem gets all claggy like that sometimes - cycling the power

    sorts
    > it out

    I rang TelstraClear who admit I do have a problem with the modem and the
    earliest they can get an engineer out to me is a week today! I explained it
    wasn't just me who had this problem as someone else on the newsgroup was
    experiencing the same thing and it turned out the help desk person didn't
    know what a newsgroup was! I have a com21 modem too and have
    unplugged/replugged it and still nothing - so how getting this posting out
    then?
    Dazed & confused, Miramar
    Wellygoggles, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Wellygoggles

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:11:07 +1300, "M" <>
    wrote:

    >"DUser" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:16:10 +1300, Wellygoggles wrote:
    >>
    >> > Running as slow as a dog here in Miramar this morning. Anyone else

    >having
    >> > problems?

    >> Its still real slow and unresponsive for me too in Wellington

    >ping times to you seem to be fast and reliable
    >
    >my com21 modem gets all claggy like that sometimes - cycling the power sorts
    >it out

    My one is the same, you have to power recycle them when things are a bit
    slow..,
    Dumdedo, Dec 30, 2003
  7. Wellygoggles

    pete Guest

    > "M" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "DUser" <> wrote in message

    > > having
    > > >
    > > > Its still real slow and unresponsive for me too in Wellington

    > > ping times to you seem to be fast and reliable
    > >
    > > my com21 modem gets all claggy like that sometimes - cycling the power

    > sorts
    > > it out

    > I rang TelstraClear who admit I do have a problem with the modem and the
    > earliest they can get an engineer out to me is a week today! I explained

    it
    > wasn't just me who had this problem as someone else on the newsgroup was
    > experiencing the same thing and it turned out the help desk person didn't
    > know what a newsgroup was! I have a com21 modem too and have
    > unplugged/replugged it and still nothing - so how getting this posting out
    > then?
    > Dazed & confused, Miramar

    Com21s have one advantage - on the back panel is a smaller plastic plug.
    Behind this is a 4 pin connector. If you can find the information about
    this - its the way to alter the connection speed. I don't know the
    specifics - the Telstra guy would not give that info - but it would be an
    interesting project for those with nothing better to do :)

    pete, Dec 30, 2003
  8. Wellygoggles

    Andy Simpson Guest

    > Com21s have one advantage - on the back panel is a smaller plastic plug.
    > Behind this is a 4 pin connector. If you can find the information about
    > this - its the way to alter the connection speed. I don't know the
    > specifics - the Telstra guy would not give that info - but it would be an
    > interesting project for those with nothing better to do :)

    From what I have heard from a few different sources, when each cable
    modem boots up it contacts a T-FTP server (uses UDP rather than TCP
    like a normal FTP server) @ Telstra. A configuration file is
    downloaded to the modem that amoung other things contains the settings
    for connection speed.

    It gets this information from the cable network. On the Com21 modem it
    is possible to get it to boot up without the coxial cable connected
    and contact a TFTP server connected via the ethernet port (ie one you
    have setup for the task).

    One modems like the Motorola Surfboard the Ethernet Port is disabled
    during boot up for this very reason.

    When I asked a Telstra guy about this he said that even with the Com21
    modem this still would not be possible as all modems have the ability
    to attach a checksum to each packet at the Data Link Layer. The
    checksum is generated from the contents of the downloaded TFTP file at
    boot-up and at their end, their routers do a CRC check on every
    packet.

    If the CRC check is not OK then the packet is dropped.

    I don't know how much of this is true but it certainly makes
    interesting discussion on news groups.

    ==
    Andy
    Andy Simpson, Dec 30, 2003
  9. In article <g16Ib.14986$>,
    "M" <> wrote:

    >"DUser" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:16:10 +1300, Wellygoggles wrote:
    >>
    >> > Running as slow as a dog here in Miramar this morning. Anyone else

    >having
    >> > problems?

    >> Its still real slow and unresponsive for me too in Wellington

    >ping times to you seem to be fast and reliable
    >
    >my com21 modem gets all claggy like that sometimes - cycling the power sorts
    >it out

    Are there any kinds of diagnostic screens you can get to? Statistics
    reports on bytes sent/received, numbers of errors, that sort of thing.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 31, 2003
  10. In article <>,
    (Andy Simpson) wrote:

    >From what I have heard from a few different sources, when each cable
    >modem boots up it contacts a T-FTP server (uses UDP rather than TCP
    >like a normal FTP server) @ Telstra. A configuration file is
    >downloaded to the modem that amoung other things contains the settings
    >for connection speed.

    TFTP is used because it's lots simpler to implement than full FTP. It
    also has no authentication. I've also seen it used to download program
    code for booting devices.

    >When I asked a Telstra guy about this he said that even with the Com21
    >modem this still would not be possible as all modems have the ability
    >to attach a checksum to each packet at the Data Link Layer.

    What would not be possible--corruption of the packets causing bad data
    to be loaded?

    >The
    >checksum is generated from the contents of the downloaded TFTP file at
    >boot-up and at their end, their routers do a CRC check on every
    >packet.
    >
    >If the CRC check is not OK then the packet is dropped.

    CRCs are not very strong. Even a 32-bit CRC only guarantees about a
    1-in-65000 probability that a corrupted packet won't turn out to have a
    valid-looking checksum.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 31, 2003
  11. Wellygoggles

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:49:53 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <g16Ib.14986$>,
    > "M" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"DUser" <> wrote in message

    >>having
    >>>
    >>> Its still real slow and unresponsive for me too in Wellington

    >>ping times to you seem to be fast and reliable
    >>
    >>my com21 modem gets all claggy like that sometimes - cycling the power sorts
    >>it out

    >Are there any kinds of diagnostic screens you can get to? Statistics
    >reports on bytes sent/received, numbers of errors, that sort of thing.

    Its a Medem not a Router..
    Dumdedo, Dec 31, 2003
  12. In article <>,
    Dumdedo <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:49:53 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <g16Ib.14986$>,
    >> "M" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"DUser" <> wrote in message

    >>>having

    >>>ping times to you seem to be fast and reliable
    >>>
    >>>my com21 modem gets all claggy like that sometimes - cycling the power sorts
    >>>it out

    >>Are there any kinds of diagnostic screens you can get to? Statistics
    >>reports on bytes sent/received, numbers of errors, that sort of thing.

    >Its a Medem not a Router..

    Is that a yes or a no?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 1, 2004