Telstra Cable Outage

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nick, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. nick

    nick Guest

    Telstraclear cable in Wellington has been down since around 1630 today, both
    Internet and TV.
    Thats 6 hours ago, don't they have any backup !!!!
    Anyone know what is going on and when service is likely to be restored
    nick, Dec 7, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:24:19 +1300, "nick" <> wrote:

    >Telstraclear cable in Wellington has been down since around 1630 today, both
    >Internet and TV.
    >Thats 6 hours ago, don't they have any backup !!!!
    >Anyone know what is going on and when service is likely to be restored
    >




    If the power goes then it goes, they power it of the same power as your
    house.


    Get over it..
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 7, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. nick

    nick Guest

    Aspiringpsychopath wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:24:19 +1300, "nick" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Telstraclear cable in Wellington has been down since around 1630
    >> today, both Internet and TV.
    >> Thats 6 hours ago, don't they have any backup !!!!
    >> Anyone know what is going on and when service is likely to be
    >> restored
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > If the power goes then it goes, they power it of the same power as
    > your house.
    >
    >
    > Get over it..


    My house power is working fine woger
    Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to run
    their network.
    Be warned that this is the sort of service you can expect when paradise
    cable carks up your way.
    Telstra have bought it and run it down as expected.
    nick, Dec 7, 2004
    #3
  4. nick

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:37:59 +1300, Aspiringpsychopath
    <> wrote:

    Aspiring psycho? Nah, you're ALREADY there pal.
    Invisible, Dec 7, 2004
    #4
  5. On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:48:32 +1300, "nick" <> wrote:

    >Aspiringpsychopath wrote:
    >> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:24:19 +1300, "nick" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Telstraclear cable in Wellington has been down since around 1630
    >>> today, both Internet and TV.
    >>> Thats 6 hours ago, don't they have any backup !!!!
    >>> Anyone know what is going on and when service is likely to be
    >>> restored
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> If the power goes then it goes, they power it of the same power as
    >> your house.
    >>
    >>
    >> Get over it..

    >
    >My house power is working fine woger
    >Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to run
    >their network.




    That would mean rewiring all of Wellington, they get there power the same as
    we do, they have cable repeaters every were and line driver boxes at the top
    of each street, they get the same power as you do., it the power goes it will
    shut down..

    Why are you so Thick..?


    >Be warned that this is the sort of service you can expect when paradise
    >cable carks up your way.
    >Telstra have bought it and run it down as expected.
    >
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 7, 2004
    #5
  6. nick

    nick Guest

    Aspiringpsychopath wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:48:32 +1300, "nick" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Aspiringpsychopath wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:24:19 +1300, "nick" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Telstraclear cable in Wellington has been down since around 1630
    >>>> today, both Internet and TV.
    >>>> Thats 6 hours ago, don't they have any backup !!!!
    >>>> Anyone know what is going on and when service is likely to be
    >>>> restored
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> If the power goes then it goes, they power it of the same power as
    >>> your house.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Get over it..

    >>
    >> My house power is working fine woger
    >> Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power
    >> to run their network.

    >
    >
    >
    > That would mean rewiring all of Wellington, they get there power
    > the same as we do, they have cable repeaters every were and line
    > driver boxes at the top of each street, they get the same power as
    > you do., it the power goes it will shut down..
    >

    The fucking power is WORKING you loooney old git
    nick, Dec 7, 2004
    #6
  7. nick

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "nick" <> wrote in
    news:xYetd.14017$:

    > My house power is working fine woger
    > Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to
    > run their network.
    >


    I don't know if the setup is similar here, but in Vancouver the cable
    system is on a low priority power network. They have batteries in the
    repeater line amps, but if there is an extended outage to the low priority
    power grid (in order keep the lights on in your house!) then the line amps
    go down and cable goes out. Yes your tv can turn on, but there is no
    signal. If you called and asked nicely to technicians on the support line,
    you might or might not find out if the system where you live has a similar
    setup. Obviously, power to the home is more important than power to the
    cable infrastructure so in an outage, linesmen reconnect the priorities
    first.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 8, 2004
    #7
  8. nick

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > "nick" <> wrote in
    > news:xYetd.14017$:
    >
    >
    >>My house power is working fine woger
    >>Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to
    >>run their network.
    >>

    >
    >
    > I don't know if the setup is similar here, but in Vancouver the cable
    > system is on a low priority power network. They have batteries in the
    > repeater line amps, but if there is an extended outage to the low priority
    > power grid (in order keep the lights on in your house!) then the line amps
    > go down and cable goes out. Yes your tv can turn on, but there is no
    > signal. If you called and asked nicely to technicians on the support line,
    > you might or might not find out if the system where you live has a similar
    > setup. Obviously, power to the home is more important than power to the
    > cable infrastructure so in an outage, linesmen reconnect the priorities
    > first.
    >


    There is no separate power network for the cable systems in Wellington.
    They are locally powered, and the cable service was down in both
    Brooklyn and Island Bay. The power wasn't interrupted, and is fed from
    different substations.
    Its more likely that the fiber network that feeds the cable head ends
    was cut off.
    Its unlikely that anyone would ever get to talk to a technician by
    calling Telstra
    Alex Axolotl, Dec 8, 2004
    #8
  9. nick

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Alex Axolotl said the following on 9/12/2004 00:02:
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> "nick" <> wrote in
    >> news:xYetd.14017$:
    >>
    >>> My house power is working fine woger
    >>> Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to
    >>> run their network.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> I don't know if the setup is similar here, but in Vancouver the cable
    >> system is on a low priority power network. They have batteries in the
    >> repeater line amps, but if there is an extended outage to the low
    >> priority power grid (in order keep the lights on in your house!) then
    >> the line amps go down and cable goes out. Yes your tv can turn on,
    >> but there is no signal. If you called and asked nicely to technicians
    >> on the support line, you might or might not find out if the system
    >> where you live has a similar setup. Obviously, power to the home is
    >> more important than power to the cable infrastructure so in an outage,
    >> linesmen reconnect the priorities first.
    >>

    >
    > There is no separate power network for the cable systems in Wellington.
    > They are locally powered, and the cable service was down in both
    > Brooklyn and Island Bay. The power wasn't interrupted, and is fed from
    > different substations.
    > Its more likely that the fiber network that feeds the cable head ends
    > was cut off.
    > Its unlikely that anyone would ever get to talk to a technician by
    > calling Telstra
    >


    Prophetic I think I mentioned something about Fibre and Backhoes the
    other day !!!!
    Collector_NZ, Dec 8, 2004
    #9
  10. nick

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Collector_NZ <> wrote in news:31o61aF3dpd9nU1
    @individual.net:

    > Prophetic I think I mentioned something about Fibre and Backhoes the
    > other day !!!!
    >


    Every techies nightmare, busted fibre...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 11, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    645
  2. Wellygoggles

    Telstra cable/Paradise Wgtn

    Wellygoggles, Dec 29, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    583
    Lawrence DĀ¹Oliveiro
    Jan 1, 2004
  3. simec

    Telstra Cable (Australia)

    simec, Dec 30, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    297
  4. Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,150
  5. Dave Doe

    Christchurch cable outage...

    Dave Doe, Jun 20, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    305
    Vista
    Jun 21, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page