Telstra broadband - what's the speed like?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam Rosner, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
    advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).

    My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
    broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
    getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
    speedtest)

    Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
    not really good value for money when you consider the competition...

    What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
     
    Adam Rosner, Nov 13, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Adam  Rosner

    Earl Grey Guest

    Adam Rosner wrote:
    > I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
    > advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
    >
    > My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
    > broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
    > getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
    > speedtest)
    >
    > Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
    > not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
    >
    > What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
    >


    It doesn't seem to change
    3874 down 1447 up

    If it fucks up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
    Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
    because they can't pay their bill.

    But the speeds are always good.
     
    Earl Grey, Nov 13, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Adam  Rosner

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4558e256$>, says...
    > Adam Rosner wrote:
    > > I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
    > > advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
    > >
    > > My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
    > > broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
    > > getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
    > > speedtest)
    > >
    > > Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
    > > not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
    > >
    > > What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
    > >

    >
    > It doesn't seem to change
    > 3874 down 1447 up
    >
    > If it fucks up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
    > Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
    > because they can't pay their bill.
    >
    > But the speeds are always good.


    Would concur (I'm in ChCh on cable). If you get good sites, you get
    good speeds. Otherwise... erm... yer don't.

    --
    Duncan
     
    Dave Doe, Nov 13, 2006
    #3
  4. Adam  Rosner

    whome Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <4558e256$>, says...
    >> Adam Rosner wrote:
    >> > I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
    >> > advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
    >> >
    >> > My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
    >> > broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
    >> > getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
    >> > speedtest)
    >> >
    >> > Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
    >> > not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
    >> >
    >> > What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
    >> >

    >>
    >> It doesn't seem to change
    >> 3874 down 1447 up
    >>
    >> If it fucks up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
    >> Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
    >> because they can't pay their bill.
    >>
    >> But the speeds are always good.

    >
    > Would concur (I'm in ChCh on cable). If you get good sites, you get
    > good speeds. Otherwise... erm... yer don't.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan


    it can be hard to say, if the site is causing the slowdown or the ISP.
     
    whome, Nov 13, 2006
    #4
  5. Adam  Rosner

    Earl Grey Guest

    whome wrote:
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> In article <4558e256$>, says...
    >>> Adam Rosner wrote:
    >>>> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
    >>>> advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
    >>>>
    >>>> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
    >>>> broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
    >>>> getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
    >>>> speedtest)
    >>>>
    >>>> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
    >>>> not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
    >>>>
    >>>> What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
    >>>>
    >>> It doesn't seem to change
    >>> 3874 down 1447 up
    >>>
    >>> If it fucks up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
    >>> Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
    >>> because they can't pay their bill.
    >>>
    >>> But the speeds are always good.

    >> Would concur (I'm in ChCh on cable). If you get good sites, you get
    >> good speeds. Otherwise... erm... yer don't.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Duncan

    >
    > it can be hard to say, if the site is causing the slowdown or the ISP.
    >
    >


    Telstra periodically times out on their mailserver and newsserver for
    extended periods before their service comes back to normal.
    Its good when its working but I wouldn't recommend their reliability
     
    Earl Grey, Nov 14, 2006
    #5
  6. Adam  Rosner

    Allistar Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > Adam Rosner wrote:
    >> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
    >> advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
    >>
    >> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
    >> broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
    >> getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
    >> speedtest)
    >>
    >> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
    >> not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
    >>
    >> What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
    >>

    >
    > It doesn't seem to change
    > 3874 down 1447 up


    I'm on a 3.5Mb/s down, 512kb/s up plan with TelstraClear and speeds are
    fine. My modem actually connects at 7616kb/s and 864kb/s, I regularly get
    close to 3.5Mb/s down, depending on the site.

    > If it fucks up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
    > Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
    > because they can't pay their bill.


    I now use a commercial provider (Giganews) and haven't regretted it.

    > But the speeds are always good.


    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, Nov 14, 2006
    #6
  7. Adam  Rosner

    Finch Guest

    I'm on the 10 Megabit plan... I find that:

    - When it goes wrong, it goes really wrong. Trying to get anyone to
    help you out of standard business hours results in "Reboot" "I'll book
    a technician". I have waited WEEKS sometimes to get resolution on
    faults.
    - Local internet is uber fast, matches what they say.
    - International is slow. Really slow at times.

    Personally, I have heard really good things about www.gasp.co.nz - I'd
    switch but they don't cover my area yet.

    Adam Rosner wrote:
    > I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
    > advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
    >
    > My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
    > broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
    > getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
    > speedtest)
    >
    > Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
    > not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
    >
    > What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
     
    Finch, Nov 14, 2006
    #7
  8. Adam  Rosner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Doe <> wrote in
    news::

    > Would concur (I'm in ChCh on cable). If you get good sites, you get
    > good speeds. Otherwise... erm... yer don't.


    I am in chch too, and on tc cable. I agree that national is almost
    always fast, but that international is nowhere near my 4 megabit. I
    know this web site has lots of bandwidth to push with, so that is not
    it. Using winmtr, I have found congestion at TC's upstream provider.
    So basically, just like Telecom, they just rate the spead between you
    and their head end, which is usually only one or two hops on a tracert.
    Tool:
    http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/
    Bad hop:
    ae-32-56.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net - 44% packet loss
    Web site:
    researchchannel.org

    International seems to have poor performance from any ISP in NZ, and it
    does not seem to matter who you ISP is. Don't say it is because the pipe
    is full, here are the facts on why that argument is void:
    http://www.karen.net.nz/home/

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Nov 14, 2006
    #8
  9. Adam  Rosner

    juicyjuice Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >
    >> Adam Rosner wrote:
    >>> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like
    >>> the advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT
    >>> adsl).
    >>>
    >>> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use
    >>> Xtra broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed"
    >>> plans I'm getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according
    >>> to nzdsl.co.nz speedtest)
    >>>
    >>> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports,
    >>> and not really good value for money when you consider the
    >>> competition...
    >>>
    >>> What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
    >>>

    >>
    >> It doesn't seem to change
    >> 3874 down 1447 up

    >
    > I'm on a 3.5Mb/s down, 512kb/s up plan with TelstraClear and speeds
    > are fine. My modem actually connects at 7616kb/s and 864kb/s, I
    > regularly get close to 3.5Mb/s down, depending on the site.
    >
    >> If it fucks up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
    >> Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the
    >> month because they can't pay their bill.

    >
    > I now use a commercial provider (Giganews) and haven't regretted it.
    >
    >> But the speeds are always good.

    >
    > Allistar.


    Adam specifically said NOT ADSL
     
    juicyjuice, Nov 14, 2006
    #9
  10. Adam  Rosner

    juicyjuice Guest

    Adam Rosner wrote:
    > I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like
    > the advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT
    > adsl).
    >
    > My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
    > broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans
    > I'm getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to
    > nzdsl.co.nz speedtest)
    >
    > Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
    > not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
    >
    > What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?


    I have quite a bit of experience with Telstra, as I was with them for nearly
    2 years in Australia.
    Their customer service is 'scripted', meaning, those who first answer the
    phone basically have no clue about anything except what the script in front
    of them tells them. Which is great for common problems and n00bs.. problems
    are sorted very quickly. But for us more adapt users its very painful. Once
    you have worked out their system like I have, its easy to jump these guys
    and get to someone decent, in fact my calls are answered within a few
    minutes these days. I dispute that earlier poster about late night/early
    morning calls, it depends on how you operate your choices on the automated
    phone system :p I've been answered within 2 minutes by a top level
    technician at 2am.

    I have never had any problems with Telstra's side of speed to the Internet,
    my speed has always been my maximum (10mbit), even with International sites
    that can provide or do not cap the speed. I've only noticed minor slowdown
    in peaktimes once, and that was quite recently, last friday i think, but
    still above what adsl users get.

    Reliabiltiy was kinda flakey in my first month (august-sept) - with one
    night in september of a 5 hour outage, but since then it has been pretty
    solid. I do have my firewall pinging their gateway router, and it does
    register minor minute outages in early 5am mornings every few days, but
    nothing to jump up and down about, prolly maintenance. Reliability in
    Australia was actually worse, but that was a few years ago on ADSL.

    Billing is a nightmare with Telstra, always has been, same in Australia,
    fine if you dont change anything, but if you say change plans, or have some
    option that isn't norm, like a so called granted free month, then hell..
    trying to get the invoices right, can take several phone calls. But they are
    very understanding and helphful and usually rectify any problems, sooner or
    later lol

    Overall, I would say that TC Cable is probabaly the only broadband choice in
    NZ capable of actually delivering what they advertise.
     
    juicyjuice, Nov 14, 2006
    #10
  11. Adam  Rosner

    juicyjuice Guest

    juicyjuice wrote:
    > Adam Rosner wrote:
    >> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like
    >> the advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT
    >> adsl).
    >>
    >> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use
    >> Xtra broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed"
    >> plans I'm getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to
    >> nzdsl.co.nz speedtest)
    >>
    >> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports,
    >> and not really good value for money when you consider the
    >> competition... What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?

    >
    > I have quite a bit of experience with Telstra, as I was with them for
    > nearly 2 years in Australia.
    > Their customer service is 'scripted', meaning, those who first answer
    > the phone basically have no clue about anything except what the
    > script in front of them tells them. Which is great for common
    > problems and n00bs.. problems are sorted very quickly. But for us
    > more adapt users its very painful. Once you have worked out their
    > system like I have, its easy to jump these guys and get to someone
    > decent, in fact my calls are answered within a few minutes these
    > days. I dispute that earlier poster about late night/early morning
    > calls, it depends on how you operate your choices on the automated
    > phone system :p I've been answered within 2 minutes by a top level
    > technician at 2am.
    > I have never had any problems with Telstra's side of speed to the
    > Internet, my speed has always been my maximum (10mbit), even with
    > International sites that can provide or do not cap the speed. I've
    > only noticed minor slowdown in peaktimes once, and that was quite
    > recently, last friday i think, but still above what adsl users get.
    >
    > Reliabiltiy was kinda flakey in my first month (august-sept) - with
    > one night in september of a 5 hour outage, but since then it has been
    > pretty solid. I do have my firewall pinging their gateway router, and
    > it does register minor minute outages in early 5am mornings every few
    > days, but nothing to jump up and down about, prolly maintenance.
    > Reliability in Australia was actually worse, but that was a few years
    > ago on ADSL.
    > Billing is a nightmare with Telstra, always has been, same in
    > Australia, fine if you dont change anything, but if you say change
    > plans, or have some option that isn't norm, like a so called granted
    > free month, then hell.. trying to get the invoices right, can take
    > several phone calls. But they are very understanding and helphful and
    > usually rectify any problems, sooner or later lol
    >
    > Overall, I would say that TC Cable is probabaly the only broadband
    > choice in NZ capable of actually delivering what they advertise.


    Oh i did however forget to mention that I agree with others about the NNTP
    service or 'lack of' although we seem to be fine so far this month lol
    Havn't had any problems with mail.
     
    juicyjuice, Nov 14, 2006
    #11
  12. Adam  Rosner

    Allistar Guest

    juicyjuice wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Earl Grey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Adam Rosner wrote:
    >>>> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like
    >>>> the advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT
    >>>> adsl).
    >>>>
    >>>> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use
    >>>> Xtra broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed"
    >>>> plans I'm getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according
    >>>> to nzdsl.co.nz speedtest)
    >>>>
    >>>> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports,
    >>>> and not really good value for money when you consider the
    >>>> competition...
    >>>>
    >>>> What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't seem to change
    >>> 3874 down 1447 up

    >>
    >> I'm on a 3.5Mb/s down, 512kb/s up plan with TelstraClear and speeds
    >> are fine. My modem actually connects at 7616kb/s and 864kb/s, I
    >> regularly get close to 3.5Mb/s down, depending on the site.
    >>
    >>> If it fucks up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
    >>> Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the
    >>> month because they can't pay their bill.

    >>
    >> I now use a commercial provider (Giganews) and haven't regretted it.
    >>
    >>> But the speeds are always good.

    >>
    >> Allistar.

    >
    > Adam specifically said NOT ADSL


    So he did. Didn't see that, apologies.

    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, Nov 15, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    19
    Views:
    477
    Ross Dawson
    Oct 30, 2005
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    333
  3. Finch

    Alternate Broadband - Telstra / XTRA?

    Finch, Sep 26, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    364
    Earl Grey
    Sep 26, 2006
  4. Adam  Rosner
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    531
    matty
    Jan 17, 2007
  5. Finch
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    463
    Bazza Formez
    Apr 2, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page