Telstra Broadband Cable users - what speeds are you getting?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam Rosner, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    I'm on the Telstra (Cable) "Highspeed 10G" plan using Clearnet,
    switched over from Xtra ADSL in November.

    I am interested to compare the speeds I'm getting with others on
    Telstra Cable.

    I've kept an eye on the speed using the NZDSL test at
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
    at several different times of the day and week.

    It is consistent, speed is always ~1900 to 1950 kbps. Upload is more
    variable, from 1200 kbps to about 1900 on a good day.

    This plan supposedly offers 4m down / 2m up "burstable", so I'm
    suspicious I've been rate-limited to 2M instead of 4M - the next plan
    down is 2M.

    Either way I'm still way happier with it than I was on ADSL, Line speed
    was good but throughput was abysmal... and the less said about the
    upload speed the better (and I WAS on the "pro" offering).

    Anyone else on Cable care to post results here?

    Adam.

    Adam Rosner, Jan 12, 2007

  2. Adam  Rosner

    Rob S Guest

    Adam Rosner wrote:
    > I'm on the Telstra (Cable) "Highspeed 10G" plan using Clearnet,
    > switched over from Xtra ADSL in November.
    >
    > I am interested to compare the speeds I'm getting with others on
    > Telstra Cable.
    >
    > I've kept an eye on the speed using the NZDSL test at
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
    > at several different times of the day and week.
    >
    > It is consistent, speed is always ~1900 to 1950 kbps. Upload is more
    > variable, from 1200 kbps to about 1900 on a good day.
    >
    > This plan supposedly offers 4m down / 2m up "burstable", so I'm
    > suspicious I've been rate-limited to 2M instead of 4M - the next plan
    > down is 2M.
    >
    > Either way I'm still way happier with it than I was on ADSL, Line speed
    > was good but throughput was abysmal... and the less said about the
    > upload speed the better (and I WAS on the "pro" offering).
    >
    > Anyone else on Cable care to post results here?
    >

    > Adam.

    I'm on the 10 Gb plan
    D/L 3753
    U/L 1873

    and that's consistent with other tests previously run at other times of
    the day.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Entropy is the tendency of everything going to hell

    Rob S, Jan 12, 2007

  3. "Adam Rosner" <> wrote in message
    > I'm on the Telstra (Cable) "Highspeed 10G" plan using Clearnet,
    > switched over from Xtra ADSL in November.
    >
    > I am interested to compare the speeds I'm getting with others on
    > Telstra Cable.
    >
    > I've kept an eye on the speed using the NZDSL test at
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
    > at several different times of the day and week.
    >
    > It is consistent, speed is always ~1900 to 1950 kbps. Upload is more
    > variable, from 1200 kbps to about 1900 on a good day.
    >
    > This plan supposedly offers 4m down / 2m up "burstable", so I'm
    > suspicious I've been rate-limited to 2M instead of 4M - the next plan
    > down is 2M.
    >
    > Either way I'm still way happier with it than I was on ADSL, Line speed
    > was good but throughput was abysmal... and the less said about the
    > upload speed the better (and I WAS on the "pro" offering).
    >
    > Anyone else on Cable care to post results here?

    I'm on the same plan. I get 3778kbps d/l and 1899kbps u/l.

    Nicely Toasted, Jan 12, 2007
  4. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    Nicely Toasted wrote:

    > > Anyone else on Cable care to post results here?

    > I'm on the same plan. I get 3778kbps d/l and 1899kbps u/l.

    Good enough for me... seems I'm right, they've put me on the wrong
    Rate-Limit.

    Now how to go through the process of sorting it out - wish me luck!

    Thanks

    Adam.

    Adam Rosner, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Adam  Rosner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Adam Rosner" <> wrote in news:1168602395.839140.4180
    @q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Anyone else on Cable care to post results here?

    I have the 20 plan, but the speeds are the same as the 10 plan IIRC:
    Download Speed: 3739 kbps (467.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1831 kbps (228.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 14, 2007
  6. Adam  Rosner

    matty Guest

    Adam Rosner wrote:
    > Nicely Toasted wrote:
    >
    > > > Anyone else on Cable care to post results here?

    > > I'm on the same plan. I get 3778kbps d/l and 1899kbps u/l.

    > Good enough for me... seems I'm right, they've put me on the wrong
    > Rate-Limit.
    >
    > Now how to go through the process of sorting it out - wish me luck!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Adam.

    This happened to me. I called the paradise helpdesk, said to the guy I
    have been put in the 2mbit pool, I should be in 4mbit. he changed me
    over on the phone been well since ...

    matty, Jan 17, 2007