Telstra bandwidth

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bob the builder, Sep 7, 2006.

  1. Anyone on the TelstraClear cable getting the 4Mbps yet?

    bob the builder, Sep 7, 2006

  2. Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Sep 7, 2006

  3. bob the builder

    mario Guest

    bob the builder wrote:
    > Anyone on the TelstraClear cable getting the 4Mbps yet?

    My download speed is up, it's just my u/l speed which hasn't changed.

    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml

    Download Speed: 3683 kbps (460.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1106 kbps (138.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

    mario

    mario, Sep 7, 2006
  4. That's it!
    I've called their helpdesk, and the download speed is now almost
    450KBs.
    Thanks for the link Mauricio!

    bob the builder, Sep 7, 2006
  5. bob the builder

    Vista Guest

    "bob the builder" <bob@a_building_site.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone on the TelstraClear cable getting the 4Mbps yet?

    Those telstra plans are damn expensive when compared to adsl

    Vista, Sep 7, 2006
  6. "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "bob the builder" <bob@a_building_site.com> wrote in message
    >> Anyone on the TelstraClear cable getting the 4Mbps yet?

    > Those telstra plans are damn expensive when compared to adsl

    Yes. But where else can you get 10Mbps?

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Sep 7, 2006
  7. bob the builder

    Stu Fleming Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "bob the builder" <bob@a_building_site.com> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone on the TelstraClear cable getting the 4Mbps yet?

    >> Those telstra plans are damn expensive when compared to adsl

    > Yes. But where else can you get 10Mbps?

    How much is the 10Mbps plan and what is the data cap (if any)?

    Stu Fleming, Sep 7, 2006
  8. bob the builder

    Vista Guest

    > "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "bob the builder" <bob@a_building_site.com> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone on the TelstraClear cable getting the 4Mbps yet?

    >> Those telstra plans are damn expensive when compared to adsl

    > Yes. But where else can you get 10Mbps?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mauricio Freitas
    > www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    > www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
    > Software for Pocket PC: www.geekzone.co.nz/store
    > Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    True. The government should have unbundled it so there is some competition
    for the real broadband.

    Vista, Sep 7, 2006
  9. bob the builder

    EMB Guest

    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing.cfm

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Sep 7, 2006
  10. bob the builder

    Stu Fleming Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Stu Fleming wrote:
    >> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in
    >> message news:44ffba12$...
    >>> "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yes. But where else can you get 10Mbps?

    >> How much is the 10Mbps plan and what is the data cap (if any)?

    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing.cfm

    40GB of data is about 10 hours of usage at full rate.
    What's the point?

    Stu Fleming, Sep 7, 2006
  11. bob the builder

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:41:40 +1200, Vista wrote:

    > True. The government should have unbundled it so there is some competition
    > for the real broadband.

    The government doesn't need to, you can use other isps on cable.
    http://www.dts.net.nz/wgtn.htm

    Earl Grey, Sep 7, 2006
  12. T'was the Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:41:40 +1200 when I remembered "Vista"
    <> saying something like this:

    >True. The government should have unbundled it so there is some competition
    >for the real broadband.

    I feel that the government should unbundle the fryers at KFC. Even
    though they paid for the infrastructure themselves, I don't think it's
    fair that they have a monopoly over their own infrastructure. Perhaps
    sublease a fryer or two to say Country Fried Chicken.

    I love regulation!
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 7, 2006
  13. "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> Stu Fleming wrote:
    >>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:44ffba12$...
    >>>
    >>> How much is the 10Mbps plan and what is the data cap (if any)?

    >> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing.cfm

    > 40GB of data is about 10 hours of usage at full rate.
    > What's the point?

    The point is not everyone download all the movies in the planet.

    I have a 80GB allowance. For our use here, which includes an Exchange
    Server, full Geekzone server backup every night to my home server (1GB),
    family web use, it is more than enough - I hardly go over 60GB.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Sep 7, 2006
  14. "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    > T'was the Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:41:40 +1200 when I remembered "Vista"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>True. The government should have unbundled it so there is some competition
    >>for the real broadband.

    > I feel that the government should unbundle the fryers at KFC. Even
    > though they paid for the infrastructure themselves, I don't think it's
    > fair that they have a monopoly over their own infrastructure. Perhaps
    > sublease a fryer or two to say Country Fried Chicken.

    ROFL! Great comparison!

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Sep 7, 2006
  15. bob the builder

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 22:58:07 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    >> T'was the Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:41:40 +1200 when I remembered "Vista"
    >> <> saying something like this:
    >>
    >>>True. The government should have unbundled it so there is some competition
    >>>for the real broadband.

    >> I feel that the government should unbundle the fryers at KFC. Even
    >> though they paid for the infrastructure themselves, I don't think it's
    >> fair that they have a monopoly over their own infrastructure. Perhaps
    >> sublease a fryer or two to say Country Fried Chicken.
    >>

    > ROFL! Great comparison!

    Only if there is one in every home.

    Earl Grey, Sep 7, 2006
  16. bob the builder

    > "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing.cfm

    >> 40GB of data is about 10 hours of usage at full rate.
    >> What's the point?

    > The point is not everyone download all the movies in the planet.
    >
    > I have a 80GB allowance. For our use here, which includes an Exchange
    > Server, full Geekzone server backup every night to my home server (1GB),
    > family web use, it is more than enough - I hardly go over 60GB.

    Not allowing the lines between home=residential and home business to be
    blurred is a problem.
    Charging for data stifles several business models, some of which are
    necessary for true entrepreneurship.
    (Does it let me run an AccessGrid at home? Does it let me back up 5G of
    data daily? Can a security compromise cause me real economic harm?)

    I'm not interested in downloading movies; I AM interested in providing the
    freedom for people to work where they choose and charging for the cost of
    the pipe to provide service. I don't pay data charges; I don't charge them
    to my customers. (I accept in some cases they may be necessary e.g. to
    control access to a restricted resource such as wireless spectrum, but not
    for pipes to fixed locations.)

    All I see in these plans is a change in the equation of data rate, data cap
    and monthly cost. Same box, a bit larger.

    Stu Fleming, Sep 7, 2006
  17. T'was the Thu, 07 Sep 2006 23:06:48 +1200 when I remembered Earl Grey
    <> saying something like this:

    >>> I feel that the government should unbundle the fryers at KFC. Even
    >>> though they paid for the infrastructure themselves, I don't think it's
    >>> fair that they have a monopoly over their own infrastructure. Perhaps
    >>> sublease a fryer or two to say Country Fried Chicken.

    >> ROFL! Great comparison!

    >Only if there is one in every home.

    Uhm, we're talking about TelstraClear's cable right?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 7, 2006
  18. bob the builder

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 10:13:45 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Thu, 07 Sep 2006 23:06:48 +1200 when I remembered Earl Grey
    > <> saying something like this:

    >>> ROFL! Great comparison!

    >>Only if there is one in every home.

    > Uhm, we're talking about TelstraClear's cable right?

    My bad
    Its been explained to Vista before that there isn't a demarcation point
    that TelstraClears hybrid fiber coax network could be unbundled at. There
    is no raw copper local loop. Other isps can provide accounts
    on TCs network
    Technical explanations depend on some prior knowledge. Carry on
    with the fried chicken metaphor, she might understand that better.

    Earl Grey, Sep 7, 2006
  19. bob the builder

    Kent Smith Guest

    > "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "bob the builder" <bob@a_building_site.com> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone on the TelstraClear cable getting the 4Mbps yet?

    >> Those telstra plans are damn expensive when compared to adsl

    > Yes. But where else can you get 10Mbps?

    Yes, and an acceptable upload speed?

    Prices work out OK when packaged with their other services.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Sep 8, 2006
  20. bob the builder

    Dave Taylor Guest

    um of money

    "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in news:45000023$1
    @news2.actrix.gen.nz:

    > (Does it let me run an AccessGrid at home? Does it let me back up 5G of
    > data daily? Can a security compromise cause me real economic harm?)

    No, no, yes!

    In Vancouver, being the "top talker" in the local neighbourhood subnet, and
    having been called on the phone by the ISP because of such actions, cost me
    nothing. The policy was to phone and remind the customer of the nature of
    cable modems and for me to be considerate to others. I paid my money for a
    service and there were no data caps. There were guidelines. In NZ that
    would cost me a huge sum of money in overages. ( I downloaded 10 ISOs and
    was beta testing online backup and restores to the server farm at work, all
    in one week) I think that week I did about 30 Gigs.

    In conclusion, I want to be able to have Actrix type plans, but keep my TC
    Phone Line. Monthly caps and having to keep an eye on usage and all that
    garbage is crap. Why can't I just go to www.researchchannel.org and learn.
    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 8, 2006