  1. Telstra’s CTO advises companies not to put too many eggs in the Iphone
    basket
    <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/telecommunications/time-to-ditch-the-iphone-as-android-is-the-future-telstra>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bystander Guest

    In article <i8tr6l$vib$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > Telstra’s CTO advises companies not to put too many eggs in the Iphone
    > basket
    > <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/telecommunications/time-to-ditch-the-ipho
    > ne-as-android-is-the-future-telstra>.

    Exactly the sort of self-serving bullshit you might expect from a telco
    executive. Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers,
    not so much...
    --
    Bystander

    Bystander, Oct 12, 2010

  3. In message <i919u0$vh4$>, Bystander wrote:

    > Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers, not so much...

    Why should that be? There’s plenty of choice in Android phones, and it
    continues to increase all the time. It’s up to customers to be aware what
    they’re getting.

    Consider: replace “Android†with “Windowsâ€, and “telcos†with “PC Makersâ€:

    Windows means plenty of freedom for PC Makers. For customers, not so
    much...

    Is this more or less true than your original statement?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    On 13/10/2010 7:32 a.m., whoisthis threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > In article <i919u0$vh4$>,
    > Bystander <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <i8tr6l$vib$>,
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Telstra’s CTO advises companies not to put too many eggs in the Iphone
    >>> basket
    >>> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/telecommunications/time-to-ditch-the-ip
    >>> ho
    >>> ne-as-android-is-the-future-telstra>.

    >> Exactly the sort of self-serving bullshit you might expect from a telco
    >> executive. Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers,
    >> not so much...

    > And Verizon is the USA is desperately wanting the iPhone.

    iPhone4 vs HTC Evo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

    HTC EVO vs iPhone4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac

    sums up both side really.

    Squiggle, Oct 12, 2010
  5. On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:00:55 +1300, Squiggle <>
    wrote:

    >On 13/10/2010 7:32 a.m., whoisthis threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >> In article <i919u0$vh4$>,
    >> Bystander <> wrote:

    >>> Exactly the sort of self-serving bullshit you might expect from a telco
    >>> executive. Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers,
    >>> not so much...

    >> And Verizon is the USA is desperately wanting the iPhone.

    >iPhone4 vs HTC Evo
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
    >
    >HTC EVO vs iPhone4
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac
    >
    >sums up both side really.

    Well a Top communications Programmer that I know Imported a HTC Evo from
    the UK, some thing that he can program on it or some thing like that,
    seems like is not a Bundled Phone like the iPhone4 is.

    There are a few reports on the Net that the iPhone 4 should be recalled,
    as it has a high failure rate.

    William Brown, Oct 12, 2010
  6. On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:02:33 +1300, whoisthis <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > William Brown <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:00:55 +1300, Squiggle <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >On 13/10/2010 7:32 a.m., whoisthis threw some characters down the intarwebs:

    >> >iPhone4 vs HTC Evo
    >> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
    >> >
    >> >HTC EVO vs iPhone4
    >> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac
    >> >
    >> >sums up both side really.

    >> Well a Top communications Programmer that I know Imported a HTC Evo from
    >> the UK, some thing that he can program on it or some thing like that,
    >> seems like is not a Bundled Phone like the iPhone4 is.

    >HUH ???, that makes no sense.

    May be not to you.

    >> There are a few reports on the Net that the iPhone 4 should be recalled,
    >> as it has a high failure rate.

    >No, there are bunch of people starting a new conspiracy and have it
    >legitimised by simply quoting each other.

    You are Wrong go do some reading..

    William Brown, Oct 13, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    whoisthis <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > William Brown <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:02:33 +1300, whoisthis <> wrote:

    > > >HUH ???, that makes no sense.

    > > May be not to you.

    > No trust me, the above make no sense at all.

    I'll second that. "Bundled Phone"? Bundled with what, and what does that
    have to do with programming?

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 13, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bystander Guest

    In article <i91dcr$244$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <i919u0$vh4$>, Bystander wrote:
    >
    > > Android means plenty of freedom for telcos. For customers, not so much...

    > Why should that be? There’s plenty of choice in Android phones, and it
    > continues to increase all the time. It’s up to customers to be aware what
    > they’re getting.
    >
    > Consider: replace “Android†with “Windowsâ€, and “telcos†with “PC Makersâ€:
    >
    > Windows means plenty of freedom for PC Makers. For customers, not so
    > much...
    >
    > Is this more or less true than your original statement?

    How amusing that you've attempted to shift the terms of the argument.
    Telcos are not strictly analogous to PC makers; unlike telcos, PC makers
    don't generate a constant income flow from the use of their machines --
    they are largely reconciled to the notion that once a PC leaves their
    factory gates, that's about it for the profit that machine will generate.

    On the other hand, telcos are clipping the ticket all the time, which is
    why there are reports coming from the US of dismayed Android geeks
    finding that the phones they've root-kitted (in order to do such things
    as removing unwanted shovelware and intrusive branding loaded on by
    their friendly telco) have magically unrooted themselves soon after,
    thanks to cute firmware modifications.

    As far as Google is concerned, end-users are the product, not the
    customers. The real Android customers are the advertisers who want
    maximum delivery of eyeballs. Which in turn are provided by Google
    catering as cravenly as possible to telcos to ensure maximum
    distribution of a Google-devised "free" OS.

    It may be true that Google is itself getting bitten in the bum by cheeky
    telcos who have done such things as replacing Google Search with Bing,
    but the principle that the individual Android end-user is a mere
    commodity rather than a customer still holds.

    In only three years have we forgotten what a revolutionary step it was
    when Apple forced the telcos to agree to support a phone that gave
    customers what they, rather than the telcos, wanted? Have we forgotten
    what a pathetic pain in the arse devices like the Nokia 9300 or Treo
    700wx were? Symbian? Windows Mobile 5?

    I like the iPhone walled garden -- actually it's more like a walled
    national park in size and variety. The 3G and 4 iPhones I've had have
    both worked impeccably, and the range of software available on them is
    astounding.

    And at least if I decided to root-kit my iPhone I could be confident it
    would stay rooted.
    --
    Bystander

    Bystander, Oct 14, 2010
  9. In message <i95il5$ff0$>, Bystander wrote:

    > In only three years have we forgotten what a revolutionary step it was
    > when Apple forced the telcos to agree to support a phone that gave
    > customers what they, rather than the telcos, wanted?

    “Telcoâ€, singular, not “telcosâ€. Apple’s approach only seems to work by
    offering exclusivity to one network in each major market.

    Maybe that’s why it’s not considered such a “revolutionary stepâ€.

    > Have we forgotten what a pathetic pain in the arse devices like the Nokia
    > 9300 or Treo 700wx were? Symbian? Windows Mobile 5?

    Or what a pathetic pain in the arse AT&T’s network is. Yet people in the US
    stick with it, because that’s the only way they can get the Iphone.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bystander Guest

    In article <i95j4m$g11$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <i95il5$ff0$>, Bystander wrote:
    >
    > > In only three years have we forgotten what a revolutionary step it was
    > > when Apple forced the telcos to agree to support a phone that gave
    > > customers what they, rather than the telcos, wanted?

    > “Telcoâ€, singular, not “telcosâ€. Apple’s approach only seems to work by
    > offering exclusivity to one network in each major market.

    Except in many European countries, parts of Asia and possibly soon, the
    US, if Verizon plays along.

    > Maybe that’s why it’s not considered such a “revolutionary stepâ€.
    >
    > > Have we forgotten what a pathetic pain in the arse devices like the Nokia
    > > 9300 or Treo 700wx were? Symbian? Windows Mobile 5?

    > Or what a pathetic pain in the arse AT&T’s network is. Yet people in the US
    > stick with it, because that’s the only way they can get the Iphone.

    Oh for ****'s sake. I really don't give a toss what they have to put up
    with in the US, I usually only visit there every year or two. Last time
    I was there I dropped one call in LA, which was nothing compared to the
    shock I got when I got home and saw my roaming charges for that month.
    In Auckland -- no dropped calls, ever.

    I don't understand why AT&T matters to you in the slightest, though.

    I'm coming to agree with those on another recent thread here -- your
    arguments are such bollocks because you're a tedious nutter with some
    childish chip on your shoulder. Consider yourself filtered, you pathetic
    self-obsessed Asperger's victim.
    --
    Bystander

    Bystander, Oct 14, 2010
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Oct 14, 1:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > Or what a pathetic pain in the arse AT&T’s network is. Yet people in the US
    > stick with it, because that’s the only way they can get the Iphone.

    Is that based on your personal, or purely academic experience?

    Simon, Oct 14, 2010
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Another Me Guest

    On 14/10/10 1:25 PM, Bystander wrote:

    > In only three years have we forgotten what a revolutionary step it was
    > when Apple forced the telcos to agree to support a phone that gave
    > customers what they, rather than the telcos, wanted? Have we forgotten
    > what a pathetic pain in the arse devices like the Nokia 9300 or Treo
    > 700wx were? Symbian? Windows Mobile 5?

    Why mention the Nokia 9300, it is a five year old phone, it would have
    been discontinued long before the iPhone was released. And which
    version of Symbian are you talking about, you start talking about five
    year old phones running the less common S60 UI, maybe you should refer
    to a modern version of the OS, on a modern device

    Another Me, Oct 14, 2010