    If not this way can anyone tell what is the best way, as i don't
    really want them left open to the world

    Thanks in advance
    Super Slueth, Apr 23, 2007

  2. Super Slueth

    Trendkill Guest

    On Apr 23, 8:04 am, Super Slueth <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have several clients that have 800series modems
    >
    > I use telenet to remote access them.
    >
    > My proiblem is that i travel a lot so I'm on different IP addresses,
    > but always with the same laptop therefore the same MAC address
    >
    > Is there any way to set up access-lists or some other way to look for
    > my MAC address before giving me access.
    >
    > If not this way can anyone tell what is the best way, as i don't
    > really want them left open to the world
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    First, use SSH if they support it...not sure on 800s but I know most
    other Cisco devices do. Second, anyway to VPN into a central place
    like your home or office and telnet/ssh from there? That way you can
    open up only that IP address on your 800s. Of course this also relies
    on vpn uptime and redundancy....if its down...you're down.
    Trendkill, Apr 23, 2007

  3. Super Slueth

    chris Guest

    "Super Slueth" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have several clients that have 800series modems
    >
    > I use telenet to remote access them.
    >
    > My proiblem is that i travel a lot so I'm on different IP addresses,
    > but always with the same laptop therefore the same MAC address
    >

    > Is there any way to set up access-lists or some other way to look for
    > my MAC address before giving me access.
    >
    > If not this way can anyone tell what is the best way, as i don't
    > really want them left open to the world
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    No, if you are coming from a remote network via telnet then your MAC address
    will already have been stripped off by your local router. MAC addresses
    aren't carried in IP packets. MAC information is only carried in layer 2
    encapsulation on local ethernet segments.

    As Trendkill said, VPN to a jump off box is the best option if you have that
    available.

    Chris.
    chris, Apr 23, 2007
  4. Super Slueth wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have several clients that have 800series modems
    >
    > I use telenet to remote access them.
    >
    > My proiblem is that i travel a lot so I'm on different IP addresses,
    > but always with the same laptop therefore the same MAC address
    >

    > Is there any way to set up access-lists or some other way to look for
    > my MAC address before giving me access.
    >
    > If not this way can anyone tell what is the best way, as i don't
    > really want them left open to the world
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    The easiest way I've found to get around this restriction securely (Cisco
    has had a habit of charging extra for ssh capable feature sets) is to ssh
    to a local box (just about anything running an OS other than Windows) and
    then do a local telnet from there to the box to be managed. That way you
    can configure the managed boxes to only accept telnet sessions from
    relatively safe local IP's, minimizing your exposure. For Internet facing
    boxes, the connection is a serial port on the inside PC connected to the
    console port on the outside box. Great application for those antique
    notebook PCs with barely enough horsepower to run Windows 98, but plenty
    for a few Linux console sessions.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com
    Vincent C Jones, Apr 23, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    Super Slueth <> writes:
    > Is there any way to set up access-lists or some other way to look for
    > my MAC address before giving me access.

    1.) MAC addresses or only visible on the local layer 2 network.

    2.) MAC addresses can be spoofed very easily. Linux supports setting
    the MAC address of an ethernet interface via the command
    "ifconfig eth<n> hw ethernet <MAC address>".

    Kind regards

    --
    Matthias Scheler http://zhadum.org.uk/
    Matthias Scheler, Apr 25, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    Trendkill <> writes:
    > First, use SSH if they support it...not sure on 800s ...

    At least IOS 12.4 on the 877W supports it.

    Kind regards

    --
    Matthias Scheler http://zhadum.org.uk/
    Matthias Scheler, Apr 25, 2007