    will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
    Thanks

    , Jun 22, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
    > switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
    > network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
    > hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
    > get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
    > ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
    > connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
    > will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
    > Thanks

    I don't think there's any way to send configuration information via CDP.
    All the remote configuration mechanisms depend on TCP/IP connectivity,
    and the duplicate IP prevents that.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, Jun 22, 2005

  3. Doan Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Barry Margolin wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
    > > switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
    > > network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
    > > hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
    > > get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
    > > ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
    > > connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
    > > will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
    > > Thanks

    > I don't think there's any way to send configuration information via CDP.
    > All the remote configuration mechanisms depend on TCP/IP connectivity,
    > and the duplicate IP prevents that.

    Couldn't you just set a static arp entry on the router connected to
    the misconfigured switch?

    Doan

    Doan, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Brian V Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
    > switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
    > network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
    > hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
    > get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
    > ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
    > connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
    > will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
    > Thanks

    If the switch is in close proximity to the router have the local contact
    person plug the console cable from the switches con port to the routers aux
    port and reverse telnet into it so you can configure it.

    Another way to do it is to have them unplug one of the switches, change to
    IP of the one thats up, then have them plug the other switch back in.

    -Brian

    Brian V, Jun 23, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    :I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
    :switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
    :network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
    :hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
    :get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
    :ip on the misconfigured switch through the router?

    NAT the traffic coming through the interface that the misconfigured
    switch is on.
    -- Christopher Priest

    Walter Roberson, Jun 23, 2005
  6. Guest Guest

    the only way you can is erasing the other one at least from the routing
    table of the router, then you make sure that the path to the one you want
    appears in the routing table. Rather than that I don't see any other way.

    --
    2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

    ///////////////////
    --Anthrax--
    //////////////////

    http://www.usenet.com

    Guest, Jun 23, 2005
  7. Guest Guest

    http://www.usenet.com

    Guest, Jun 23, 2005
  8. Guest Guest

    http://www.usenet.com

    Guest, Jun 23, 2005
  9. Scooby Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco
    > switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the
    > network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network
    > hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I
    > get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the
    > ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows
    > connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I
    > will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight?
    > Thanks

    CDP is for information purposes, not for updating.

    First, change the IP on the correctly configured switch. This will get rid
    of the IP conflict. Then telnet to the other one, change it to what you
    want. That device may need to be restarted before you can get to it. Then,
    change the first switch back to what it originally was.

    Jim

    Scooby, Jun 23, 2005