    the router but that's as far as I know what to do.
    Thank you!
    , Feb 28, 2005

  2. Ben Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a 1720 router with built-in firewall. Can someone give me step
    > by step instructions on how to open or close a port? I can telnet to
    > the router but that's as far as I know what to do.
    > Thank you!

    The firewall's built into the software, not the router, so it must first
    be configured.

    All ports will be open by default.
    Ben, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Guest

    Everything is already configured. Someone else was maintaining the
    router and I would call them to ask for a port to be opened. I recieved
    instructions on how to telnet to the router but when I get to router# I
    don't know what commands to execute.

    Ben wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have a 1720 router with built-in firewall. Can someone give me

    step
    > > by step instructions on how to open or close a port? I can telnet

    > > the router but that's as far as I know what to do.
    > > Thank you!
    > >

    > The firewall's built into the software, not the router, so it must

    first
    > be configured.
    >
    > All ports will be open by default.
    , Mar 1, 2005
  4. Ben Guest

    wrote:
    > Everything is already configured. Someone else was maintaining the
    > router and I would call them to ask for a port to be opened. I recieved
    > instructions on how to telnet to the router but when I get to router# I
    > don't know what commands to execute.
    >
    > Ben wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a 1720 router with built-in firewall. Can someone give me

    > step
    >
    >>>by step instructions on how to open or close a port? I can telnet

    >>>the router but that's as far as I know what to do.
    >>>Thank you!
    >>>

    >>The firewall's built into the software, not the router, so it must

    > first
    >
    >>be configured.
    >>
    >>All ports will be open by default.

    Well, it totally depends upon your configuration, so we can't help
    unless you post it.
    Ben, Mar 2, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    :Everything is already configured. Someone else was maintaining the
    :router and I would call them to ask for a port to be opened. I recieved
    :instructions on how to telnet to the router but when I get to router# I
    :don't know what commands to execute.

    Once you have logged in and 'enabled' to get to privileged mode,
    then 'configure terminal' puts you into configuration mode. From there
    you would type in the additional settings you want; to remove
    a setting you would generally type in the setting again but
    prefixed with 'no', such as 'no access-list 101'.

    The commands that you will need to be changing will those having
    to do with 'nat'. You'll will probably more or less duplicate
    an existing setting but changing the port number. You may need
    to add an access-list or alter an existing access-list.
    --
    Inevitably, someone will flame me about this .signature.
    Walter Roberson, Mar 2, 2005