    Could someone explain whay I cannot enter into Microsoft Telnet
    Client, and what I need to do for that capability ?

    Harry
    Harry, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Harry

    Trax Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote:

    |>When I type telnet , I am not able to enter into Microsoft Telnet Client
    |>and then chose a host. Instead, I get a no host dialoge box with a
    |>capability to connect to remote host. My operating system is
    |>Windows 98.
    |>
    |>Could someone explain whay I cannot enter into Microsoft Telnet
    |>Client, and what I need to do for that capability ?

    Using a dialup connection? You can use Hyperterm to telnet.
    Start\Run HYPERTRM <enter>

    Or go to Tucows.com and serch for telnet.

    --
    Remember Commander Keen?
    http://www.glenrhodes.com/flashkeen/
    Trax, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Harry

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:29:29 GMT, Harry wrote:

    >When I type telnet , I am not able to enter into Microsoft Telnet Client

    type telnet where?

    Start | Run | telnet | press Ok.

    >and then chose a host. Instead, I get a no host dialoge box with a

    You can't enter, as type in 'telnet' somewhere or 'telnet' doesn't run?

    It's automatically connecting to a host without you doing anything?

    >capability to connect to remote host. My operating system is

    So if you get a no host box , which is simply telling you you can't
    connect to the selected host

    By that you mean you did -

    Open the telnet application , then -

    Connect | Remote System | enter the host name or select an existing
    host.

    and after that there is a dialog box -

    Connect Failed
    Could not open a connection to <hostname>

    >Windows 98.
    >
    >Could someone explain whay I cannot enter into Microsoft Telnet
    >Client, and what I need to do for that capability ?

    A repair of the windows install? Don't know Win98 it's only been
    installed for 30 minutes , just to check it did work the same as the
    other versions.

    >Harry

    Me
    why?, Oct 14, 2005
  4. Harry

    Harry Guest

    I type telnet, either in start>run>telnet return
    or i go into msdos and type telnet and return.

    Either way, I would have expected to enter
    into Microsoft Telnet Client and get a prompt
    saying Microsoft Telnet >

    But i do not get that, instead i have no command
    prompt like the one above, the command cursor
    is still and you cannot write anything there. The
    only option is u go into the first task bar above
    and there it says remote connection, when u type
    that u get a dialoge box giving u the option to
    type in the host name u want to connect.

    I dont want that, i want a Microsoft Telnet > prompt
    where i can do things. Is what I have peculiar to
    Windows 98 or is there something wrong with my
    Telnet system ?

    Harry, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Harry

    Trax Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote:

    |>I type telnet, either in start>run>telnet return
    |>or i go into msdos and type telnet and return.
    |>
    |>Either way, I would have expected to enter
    |>into Microsoft Telnet Client and get a prompt
    |>saying Microsoft Telnet >
    |>
    |>But i do not get that, instead i have no command
    |>prompt like the one above, the command cursor
    |>is still and you cannot write anything there. The
    |>only option is u go into the first task bar above
    |>and there it says remote connection, when u type
    |>that u get a dialoge box giving u the option to
    |>type in the host name u want to connect.

    That's the way Win98 works. I've always just used Hyperterm.

    |>I dont want that, i want a Microsoft Telnet > prompt
    |>where i can do things. Is what I have peculiar to
    |>Windows 98 or is there something wrong with my
    |>Telnet system ?

    You want any W2K or XP, or check out Tucows.com for an alternate
    telnet program.

    Trax, Oct 14, 2005
  6. Harry

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:28:15 GMT, Harry wrote:

    You have done this before and it was working?

    >I type telnet, either in start>run>telnet return
    >or i go into msdos and type telnet and return.

    So what does happen?

    Do a file find

    >Either way, I would have expected to enter
    >into Microsoft Telnet Client and get a prompt
    >saying Microsoft Telnet >

    Windows 2000 / XP do as you describe above.

    Win 3.x etc incl NT4 open a telnet gui, due to the wonder of Google
    Images you should get this
    http://www.its.niu.edu/its/helpdesk/graphics/telnetmain.gif
    which is what you describe below.

    >But i do not get that, instead i have no command
    >prompt like the one above, the command cursor
    >is still and you cannot write anything there. The
    >only option is u go into the first task bar above
    >and there it says remote connection, when u type
    >that u get a dialoge box giving u the option to
    >type in the host name u want to connect.

    That's correct for Win 98

    >I dont want that, i want a Microsoft Telnet > prompt
    >where i can do things. Is what I have peculiar to

    There isn't much you can do, but there may be some handy things.

    If you know what you want to do, search some places like www.simtel.net
    , www.tucows.com , www.downloads.com for free telnet clients with the
    features you are looking for.

    >Windows 98 or is there something wrong with my
    >Telnet system ?

    Have you used Win 98 before?

    why?, Oct 14, 2005
  7. Harry

    dgo Guest

    If I remember correctly (from win98) if you start it from windows
    explorer/my computer (c:\windows\telnet.exe) you will get the telnet GUI.

    dgo, Oct 14, 2005
  8. Harry

    dgo, Oct 14, 2005
  9. Harry

    penguin676 Guest

    Harry wrote:
    >When I type telnet , I am not able to enter into Microsoft Telnet Client
    >and then chose a host. Instead, I get a no host dialoge box with a
    >capability to connect to remote host. My operating system is
    >Windows 98.
    >
    >Could someone explain whay I cannot enter into Microsoft Telnet
    >Client, and what I need to do for that capability ?
    >
    >Harry

    Greetings;

    I also have Win98SE and used to use telnet. Here are the instructions I
    used to use and they worked fine. I used them to connect to my
    EarthLink dialup account occasionally, so I don't know if you'll see the
    *exact* same thing on the screen after connection, but it should be
    similar:

    1) Connect to the Internet

    2) Click on Start --> Run --> Type: telnet --> Click OK

    3) Click on Terminal --> Preferences --> Make sure Local Echo is checked
    --> Click OK

    4) Click Connect --> Remote System --> In the Host Name field type in
    the host name you want to connect to --> In the Port field type in 110
    --> Click on Connect

    5) Type: user xxxxx --> Press Enter --> Type: pass xxxxx --> Press Enter
    You have to actually type in the words "user" and "pass", you won't be
    prompted for them. And the "xxxxx" should be your actual username and
    password.

    6) Once you're logged in you can type Help and it will show a list of
    commands you can use.

    Like I said, this was the procedure for getting into a password
    protected e-mail box at EarthLink (no longer in use). The screen may
    show something different if you're accessing a public Telnet server.
    Also, I just used Telnet with my cable modem and was able to log into my
    Comcast e-mail with only very minor differences from what I posted
    above.

    HTH and Good Luck!

    Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
    -Chris
    penguin676, Oct 15, 2005
  10. Harry

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:21:57 -0700, penguin676 wrote:

    >Harry wrote:
    >>When I type telnet , I am not able to enter into Microsoft Telnet Client
    >>and then chose a host. Instead, I get a no host dialoge box with a
    >>capability to connect to remote host. My operating system is
    >>Windows 98.
    >>
    >>Could someone explain whay I cannot enter into Microsoft Telnet
    >>Client, and what I need to do for that capability ?

    <snip>

    >I also have Win98SE and used to use telnet. Here are the instructions I
    >used to use and they worked fine. I used them to connect to my
    >EarthLink dialup account occasionally, so I don't know if you'll see the
    >*exact* same thing on the screen after connection, but it should be
    >similar:

    The OP was looking for the prompt

    Microsoft Telnet >

    You get that running - telnet , on Windows 2000/Windows XP it has a very
    basic set of commands.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Oct 15, 2005