    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 18, 2007

  2. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 18 Jul 2007 22:45:18 +1200, Jonathan Walker <>
    exclaimed:

    >QUOTE:
    >About Microsoft
    >Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in
    >software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business
    >computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services
    >designed to empower people through great software - any time, any place
    >and on any device.
    >ENDQUOTE

    If you took off your blinkers, you'd find that this is dead on the
    money.

    Fred Dagg, Jul 18, 2007

  3. Jonathan Walker

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:04:27 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On 18 Jul 2007 22:45:18 +1200, Jonathan Walker <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>QUOTE:
    >>About Microsoft
    >>Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in
    >>software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business
    >>computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services
    >>designed to empower people through great software - any time, any place
    >>and on any device.
    >>ENDQUOTE

    > If you took off your blinkers, you'd find that this is dead on the
    > money.

    Right then, could you explain to us why you think it is?

    Gordon, Jul 19, 2007
  4. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 19 Jul 2007 06:01:08 GMT, Gordon <> exclaimed:

    >On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:04:27 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On 18 Jul 2007 22:45:18 +1200, Jonathan Walker <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>QUOTE:
    >>>About Microsoft
    >>>Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq ?MSFT?) is the worldwide leader in
    >>>software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business
    >>>computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services
    >>>designed to empower people through great software - any time, any place
    >>>and on any device.
    >>>ENDQUOTE

    >> If you took off your blinkers, you'd find that this is dead on the
    >> money.

    >Right then, could you explain to us why you think it is?

    Perhaps you could explain why it isn't?

    You could start by explaining how Microsoft doesn't dominate the
    personal and business computing markets. Oh, that's right - they do.

    Maybe you could then try to explain that productivity software doesn't
    empower workers. Of course without Microsoft we'd probably still be on
    typewriters, so that kinda kills that idea.

    Maybe you don't think their software is great? Whilst that is quite
    subjective, I think their success would indicate otherwise.

    Maybe you don't like the "any device" thing? Fact is, there is a
    version of Windows for almost any device, so that kills that. (Unless
    you're going to say that because one person had a problem with their
    computer and couldn't use a flash drive that Vista doesn't support
    transferring files from other OSs, but I think only a moron would say
    something like that).

    So really, I'm quite looking forward to your explanation of why that
    statement is so wrong. It would be good if you could refrain from the
    usual FUD and simplistic anti-corporate attack most often used by
    those that hate successful businesses and just stick to fact.

    This should be interesting.

    Fred Dagg, Jul 19, 2007
  5. Jonathan Walker

    Enkidu Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Maybe you could then try to explain that productivity software doesn't
    > empower workers. Of course without Microsoft we'd probably still be on
    > typewriters, so that kinda kills that idea.

    So you reckon that there would be no word processors or spreadsheets
    without Microsoft? Never heard of WordPerfect or Lotus 123?

    WP5 was the best text based WP bar none. Pity they lost their way with
    the first Windows version and let MS sell everyone MS Word. Or *the*
    original popular SS? Pity they tied it into their horrible desktop
    system, eh? Groupwise tried to get it right but p*ssed off all their
    users with software that mangled emails, sent them them to the wrong
    people, and presented users with other people's emails.

    MS got on a roll with its products as a result of horrendous stuff ups
    by everyone else. Once they had the people they kept the people. It's
    what they are good at.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jul 19, 2007
  6. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:35:21 +1200, Enkidu <>
    exclaimed:

    >> Maybe you could then try to explain that productivity software doesn't
    >> empower workers. Of course without Microsoft we'd probably still be on
    >> typewriters, so that kinda kills that idea.
    >>

    >So you reckon that there would be no word processors or spreadsheets
    >without Microsoft? Never heard of WordPerfect or Lotus 123?

    Well considering personal computer usage and availability only really
    took off with DOS then Windows, there might have been a small number
    of people using WP on a Mac or something.

    Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
    almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
    you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

    Fred Dagg, Jul 20, 2007
  7. Jonathan Walker

    peterwn Guest

    On Jul 20, 12:29 pm, Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    <snip>

    > Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
    > almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
    > you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

    Many people would seem to hold Microsoft in the same regard as they
    hold their phone company, power company or loan shark.

    That is one of seething resentment.

    peterwn, Jul 20, 2007
  8. Jonathan Walker

    Rob.S. Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Jul 20, 12:29 pm, Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
    >> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
    >> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

    > Many people would seem to hold Microsoft in the same regard as they
    > hold their phone company, power company or loan shark.
    >
    > That is one of seething resentment.

    Exactly! Hitler gave the world the Volkswagon beetle, once the most
    popular car in the world, but I doubt that Hitler is on any body's
    prayer list, and despite the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, MS sure
    'aint out to make any less money than the sheer maximum they can squeeze
    out of as many people as possible.

    Rob S

    Rob.S., Jul 20, 2007
  9. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:25:42 -0000, peterwn <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Jul 20, 12:29 pm, Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>
    >> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
    >> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
    >> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

    >Many people would seem to hold Microsoft in the same regard as they
    >hold their phone company, power company or loan shark.
    >
    >That is one of seething resentment.

    "Many people" being you, and your anti-corporation mates?

    Whilst it was "cool" to hate Microsoft a few years ago, I think you'll
    find most mature people realise they've done a hell of a lot to make
    all of our lives easier.

    Fred Dagg, Jul 20, 2007
  10. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:02:02 +1200, "Rob.S."
    <> exclaimed:

    >peterwn wrote:
    >> On Jul 20, 12:29 pm, Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
    >>> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
    >>> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

    >> Many people would seem to hold Microsoft in the same regard as they
    >> hold their phone company, power company or loan shark.
    >>
    >> That is one of seething resentment.
    >>

    >Exactly! Hitler gave the world the Volkswagon beetle, once the most
    >popular car in the world, but I doubt that Hitler is on any body's
    >prayer list, and despite the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, MS sure
    >'aint out to make any less money than the sheer maximum they can squeeze
    >out of as many people as possible.

    Oh, *apart from* the $US33 BILLION DOLLAR charity set up by Bill?

    And anyway, why do you seem to think that making money is a bad thing?

    Fred Dagg, Jul 20, 2007
  11. Jonathan Walker

    Shane Guest

    Rob.S. wrote:

    > peterwn wrote:
    >> On Jul 20, 12:29 pm, Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
    >>> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
    >>> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

    >> Many people would seem to hold Microsoft in the same regard as they
    >> hold their phone company, power company or loan shark.
    >>
    >> That is one of seething resentment.
    >>

    > Exactly! Hitler gave the world the Volkswagon beetle, once the most
    > popular car in the world, but I doubt that Hitler is on any body's
    > prayer list, and despite the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, MS sure
    > 'aint out to make any less money than the sheer maximum they can squeeze
    > out of as many people as possible.
    >
    > Rob S

    Wasnt that foundation only setup because other billionaires were giving away
    large chunks of their money to charity, and made a big noise about the lack
    of giving Bill was making?

    --
    Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his

    Shane, Jul 20, 2007
  12. Jonathan Walker

    Rob.S. Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:02:02 +1200, "Rob.S."
    > <> exclaimed:
    >

    >> Exactly! Hitler gave the world the Volkswagon beetle, once the most
    >> popular car in the world, but I doubt that Hitler is on any body's
    >> prayer list, and despite the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, MS sure
    >> 'aint out to make any less money than the sheer maximum they can squeeze
    >> out of as many people as possible.

    > Oh, *apart from* the $US33 BILLION DOLLAR charity set up by Bill?
    >
    > And anyway, why do you seem to think that making money is a bad thing?

    Read it again. I said "despite the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation"
    because what BG does with his personal fortune has nothing whatsoever to
    do with Microsoft, and that $US33 Billion came out of his pocket.

    Microsoft are allowed to make money. Nothing wrong with that. I object
    to the exorbitant prices they charge, and out of the exorbitant profits
    they buyout, sue, or generally bully any competition and will use
    monopolistic and if not illegal, certainly skating on the very edge of
    illegal, practices to maintain their position at the head of the table.

    And if you want to bring the foundation into it, every little child or
    disadvantaged person that gets help from the foundation is a grateful
    and possible future Microsoft customer. Although I don't know whether
    the little person gets help from the foundation or whether most of the
    money goes toward big ticket, high exposure things like AIDS research.

    Rob S

    Rob.S., Jul 20, 2007
  13. Jonathan Walker

    Enkidu Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:35:21 +1200, Enkidu <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>> Maybe you could then try to explain that productivity software doesn't
    >>> empower workers. Of course without Microsoft we'd probably still be on
    >>> typewriters, so that kinda kills that idea.
    >>>

    >> So you reckon that there would be no word processors or spreadsheets
    >> without Microsoft? Never heard of WordPerfect or Lotus 123?

    > Well considering personal computer usage and availability only really
    > took off with DOS then Windows, there might have been a small number
    > of people using WP on a Mac or something.
    >
    > Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
    > almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
    > you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

    You are changing your tune. First is was the Office stuff, but that I've
    pretty much demolished. Now it's Windows, but as you point out yourself,
    Apple got there first. If fact I remember using Geos on a Commodore 64
    and that was a GUI.

    No, you don't have to give MS the credit for the technology. You have to
    give their marketing people the kudos.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jul 20, 2007
  14. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:32:51 +1200, "Rob.S."
    <> exclaimed:

    >And if you want to bring the foundation into it, every little child or
    >disadvantaged person that gets help from the foundation is a grateful
    >and possible future Microsoft customer.

    Oh. My. God. Surely you're not implying that BG and co have dedicated
    billions of dollars to help save children so that they can grow up and
    buy Microsoft gear??

    I would expect that out of the Shane, MaBling, or Lawrence's of the
    world, but don't tell me there's another one in their looney bin?

    Fred Dagg, Jul 20, 2007
  15. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:32:05 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    exclaimed:

    >Wasnt that foundation only setup because other billionaires were giving away
    >large chunks of their money to charity, and made a big noise about the lack
    >of giving Bill was making?

    What an absolute piece of shit you are.

    If you bothered to open your fucking eyes you'd see that Bill Gates is
    reknown for being one of the world's biggest philanthropists, even
    before the B+M Foundation.

    You really are dirt, you know that? You might not like their software
    but don't be such a fuckwit - credit where credit's due.

    Fred Dagg, Jul 20, 2007
  16. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:44:55 +1200, Enkidu <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:35:21 +1200, Enkidu <>
    >> exclaimed:

    >>> So you reckon that there would be no word processors or spreadsheets
    >>> without Microsoft? Never heard of WordPerfect or Lotus 123?

    >> Well considering personal computer usage and availability only really
    >> took off with DOS then Windows, there might have been a small number
    >> of people using WP on a Mac or something.
    >>
    >> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
    >> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
    >> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.
    > >

    >You are changing your tune. First is was the Office stuff, but that I've
    >pretty much demolished. Now it's Windows, but as you point out yourself,
    >Apple got there first. If fact I remember using Geos on a Commodore 64
    >and that was a GUI.
    >
    >No, you don't have to give MS the credit for the technology. You have to
    >give their marketing people the kudos.

    You didn't demolish anything. Fact is, it was Microsoft that brought
    computing to the mainstream, and that is not debatable.

    Fred Dagg, Jul 20, 2007
  17. Jonathan Walker

    Enkidu Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:44:55 +1200, Enkidu <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:35:21 +1200, Enkidu <>
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> Well considering personal computer usage and availability only really
    >>> took off with DOS then Windows, there might have been a small number
    >>> of people using WP on a Mac or something.
    >>>
    >>> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
    >>> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
    >>> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.
    >>>

    >> You are changing your tune. First is was the Office stuff, but that I've
    >> pretty much demolished. Now it's Windows, but as you point out yourself,
    >> Apple got there first. If fact I remember using Geos on a Commodore 64
    >> and that was a GUI.
    >>
    >> No, you don't have to give MS the credit for the technology. You have to
    >> give their marketing people the kudos.

    > You didn't demolish anything. Fact is, it was Microsoft that brought
    > computing to the mainstream, and that is not debatable.

    Bollocks. That was IBM. IBM mainframes were in most businesses before MS
    even got started. Even the first PC was by IBM.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jul 20, 2007
  18. Jonathan Walker

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    > > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:44:55 +1200, Enkidu
    > > <> exclaimed:

    > > > You are changing your tune. First is was the Office stuff, but
    > > > that I've pretty much demolished. Now it's Windows, but as you
    > > > point out yourself, Apple got there first. If fact I remember
    > > > using Geos on a Commodore 64 and that was a GUI.
    > > >
    > > > No, you don't have to give MS the credit for the technology. You
    > > > have to give their marketing people the kudos.

    > > You didn't demolish anything. Fact is, it was Microsoft that brought
    > > computing to the mainstream, and that is not debatable.
    > >

    > Bollocks. That was IBM. IBM mainframes were in most businesses before
    > MS even got started. Even the first PC was by IBM.

    MS were just in the right place at the right time. It was going to happen
    anyway, just maybe a year or so later. Cliff, why are you talking to this
    imbecile? He's thick as two short planks and positively cyclopean in his
    outlook. (Pun intended).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 20, 2007
  19. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 02:18:25 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> exclaimed:

    >> > You didn't demolish anything. Fact is, it was Microsoft that brought
    >> > computing to the mainstream, and that is not debatable.
    >> >

    >> Bollocks. That was IBM. IBM mainframes were in most businesses before
    >> MS even got started. Even the first PC was by IBM.

    >MS were just in the right place at the right time. It was going to happen
    >anyway, just maybe a year or so later. Cliff, why are you talking to this
    >imbecile? He's thick as two short planks and positively cyclopean in his
    >outlook. (Pun intended).

    Yet again, we have a moron that has to resort to personal abuse when
    they can't win a debate on their merits. Fairly typical.

    Fred Dagg, Jul 20, 2007
  20. On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:38:02 +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:

    > On 2007-07-18, Jonathan Walker <> wrote:
    >> QUOTE:
    >> About Microsoft
    >> Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq ?MSFT?) is the worldwide leader in
    >> software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business
    >> computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services

    > that much is true enough
    >
    >> designed to empower people through great software - any time, any place
    >> and on any device.

    > I've not seen evidence supporting any of that.

    Neither have I.

    that's why I thought I'd see what other people thought. :eek:)

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 21, 2007