    ~Mary Guest

    I have three televisions in my house. On one of the TVs, just one, I
    can't get sound on one channel, just one. Any ideas? ~Mary
    ~Mary, Aug 17, 2005

  2. ~Mary

    johnty Guest

    Watch one of the others
    johnty, Aug 17, 2005

  3. ~Mary

    Thaqalain Guest

  4. ~Mary

    Kenny Guest

    First thing is check the Balance control hasn't been moved to one side.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Aug 17, 2005
  5. Kenny wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > First thing is check the Balance control hasn't been moved to one
    > side.

    How would that affect just one channel?

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    May 15 decadent Jehovah's witnesses eat each other's belly-button fluff
    The Old Sourdough, Aug 17, 2005
  6. ~Mary

    Stickems. Guest

    If this is digital TV try unplugging it for a few moments.

    Stickems., Aug 17, 2005
  7. ~Mary

    Kenny Guest

    If it's moved all the way to one side it will cut the sound on one channel.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Aug 17, 2005
  8. Kenny wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > If it's moved all the way to one side it will cut the sound on one
    > channel.

    Read the original post, very carefully this time. He can't get sound on
    one, just one, TV channel on one, just one, TV set, so WTF does a
    balance control have to do with it?

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 17, 2005
  9. ~Mary

    JANA Guest

    This is not the proper newsgroup for Television problems.

    I am going to answer this question anyways, even though it does not belong
    to this group. If you want to remain ignorant, just skip this message, but
    don't comment back with any flack, I will return some back. This is a common
    problem that can happen to any owner of a TV set.

    --!

    When enquiring about Television problems, you must always indicate the make
    and model number. This information is on the rear tag or sticker of the set.
    You should also indicate what country you are in, since there are sometimes
    different options in different areas for the same model type. Many different
    countries also use different broadcast systems, which are not compatible
    with each other.

    Check in to the user menu for the sound setup. See if your set is set to the
    SAP mode. If it is a Sony set, there is normally a button on the remote
    called MTS. Use this button to toggle through the sound modes. There should
    be Main or Stereo, Mono, and SAP. If your set uses the menu only, make sure
    the sound is set to Stereo, or Main. Consult your user manual for details.

    If the above does not work, then there may be a fault condition in the sound
    demodulator circuit area. This will require the skills of a services shop.

    In some of the RCA, Thompson, GE, and Philips models, if the channel is not
    programmed as part of the main channel group, the sound will be muted until
    it is added.

    Many of the television stations are using something called the SAP (Second
    Audio Program) carrier. This is used mainly for descriptive sound, or for
    translations. It is a narrow single channel for mono audio. Many of the
    cable companies on many of their channels will not carry this carrier,
    because of the added cost to their converters, and modulators, unless the
    broadcaster wants to pay for this. This also adds to the carrier's cost,
    which would be reflected back to the consumer. When this carrier is not
    handled, the TV will have no sound if the SAP mode is selected, even though
    the original station is broadcasting their sound on SAP.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Aug 17, 2005
  10. ~Mary

    FML Guest

    JANA wrote:
    > This is not the proper newsgroup for Television problems.

    <snip>

    Since when? The beauty of this newsgroup is that there is no such thing
    as "off-topic". Why, just yesterday we were discussing the merits of
    using mayonnaise to remove sap stains from a car's finish.
    FML, Aug 17, 2005
  11. ~Mary

    Stickems. Guest

    Point of Order - NOTHING is off topic in this news group.

    Stickems., Aug 17, 2005
  12. "JANA" <> wrote in

    > This is not the proper newsgroup for Television problems.

    What is the proper subject for this group?

    Top

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Aug 17, 2005
  13. "JANA" <> wrote in

    > This is not the proper newsgroup for Television problems.

    Maybe a better thing to do would be to point the OP to what you think
    would be the "proper" or a better NG to ask this question in. Not
    trying to be snippy but you see the response your message received.

    Top

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Aug 17, 2005
  14. ~Mary

    Bri. Guest

    In news:Xns96B57A4234826bcx25yti54op@216.196.97.131,
    The Old Sourdough typed...

    > Read the original post, very carefully this time. He can't get sound

    He?
    ;o)
    --
    Bri.
    Bri., Aug 17, 2005
  15. JANA wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > This is not the proper newsgroup for Television problems.

    Says who? You? You don't get to decide what is or is not on-topic in
    this newsgroup. HINT: Don't spam, and don't test.

    snip

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 17, 2005
  16. Bri. wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > In news:Xns96B57A4234826bcx25yti54op@216.196.97.131,
    > The Old Sourdough typed...
    >

    >> Read the original post, very carefully this time. He can't get sound
    >>

    > He?
    > ;o)

    Er, just a flip of the plung...err, clip of the bung.....tip of the
    slung... (Ackshully, that was a generic "he".) :)

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 17, 2005
  17. ~Mary

    ~Mary Guest

    JANA wrote:

    > This is not the proper newsgroup for Television problems.

    Thank you to all who are answering with advice. JANA, I've asked for
    help in this newsgroup for computer related problems in the past. I
    know that people ask for help on other subjects also. They are either
    helped or referred on to another group. I just didn't think about the
    make and model numbers etc. It's a 500 lb. (slight exaggeration)
    television in cubbyhole just thismuchbigger than the TV. I can't seem
    to lift it out of there.

    Cheers, ~Mary

    P.S. It's a Sharp.

    ~Mary, Aug 17, 2005
  18. ~Mary

    old jon Guest

    Go on Mary, you see to him. He answers before he thinks.

    old jon, Aug 17, 2005
  19. ~Mary

    Bri. Guest

    In news:Xns96B590CB66662bcx25yti54op@216.196.97.131,
    The Old Sourdough typed...

    > Bri. wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> In news:Xns96B57A4234826bcx25yti54op@216.196.97.131,
    >> The Old Sourdough typed...
    >>

    >>> Read the original post, very carefully this time. He can't get sound
    >>>

    >> He?
    >> ;o)

    > Er, just a flip of the plung...err, clip of the bung.....tip of the
    > slung... (Ackshully, that was a generic "he".) :)

    That's just fine ;-)
    "plung flipping", "bung clipping" and even "slung tipping", are all
    signs of a successful, local brew. I'm currently doing my bit, to
    ensure the continued success of a similar establishment.

    Quoting youself:-
    Beer!!1!!11!
    ;-)

    --
    Bri.
    Bri., Aug 17, 2005
  20. ~Mary

    ~Mary Guest

    I've been in usenet for a long time. I've seen all the colors of
    beautiful people that post here. ;) I've had worse said to me.

    Cheers, ~Mary

    ~Mary, Aug 17, 2005