Television Episodes on DVD - compress?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Atreju, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
    all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
    For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default quality
    sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the smallest I can get
    it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2 hours per disc.

    How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they using 8GB
    capacity DVDs?

    Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
    at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
    bit of quality.

    The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up approximately
    350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.

    TIA

    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Atreju

    Biz Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    > I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
    > all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
    > For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default quality
    > sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the smallest I can get
    > it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2 hours per disc.
    >
    > How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they using 8GB
    > capacity DVDs?

    9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

    Biz, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:34:45 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

    So how do most people do it? Surely people don't use up 1 disc for
    just 2 episodes?

    Any recommendation on software to shrink the files, even if it
    sacrifices some quality?

    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Oct 15, 2004
  4. Atreju

    kaydigi Guest

    dvdshrink.org. You can remove different audio files and etc... Easiest thing
    to use. Watch out for ER i think those are DVD 18, I want to see the
    compression to a DVD 5.

    kaydigi, Oct 15, 2004
  5. Atreju

    Biz Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:34:45 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >
    > >9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

    > So how do most people do it? Surely people don't use up 1 disc for
    > just 2 episodes?

    Most people just buy the boxsets.....try it.

    Biz, Oct 15, 2004
  6. Atreju

    OrangeTiger Guest

    They use 8.5gb dual layer discs. You can burn those now and the burners are
    cheap but the media is expensive and there some compatibility problems
    especially with the older DVD players. As others have said, DVD shrink is
    the go for compression, quick and easy.

    OrangeTiger, Oct 15, 2004
  7. Atreju

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:34:45 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

    > So how do most people do it? Surely people don't use up 1 disc for
    > just 2 episodes?
    >
    > Any recommendation on software to shrink the files, even if it
    > sacrifices some quality?
    >

    > ---Atreju---

    I get 6 episodes per DVD+R, by capturing them
    from my DirecTiVo unit, then editing out the
    commercials with VideoReDo, and authoring them
    with TMPGEnc DVD Author. If that's to much
    time and effort for you then you could pay someone
    else to have made DVDs of your show. They make
    much better DVDs than I can even make. Check
    out the Video Stores, or maybe a video rental place
    will sell you a pre-viewed set.

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Oct 15, 2004
  8. >I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
    >all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
    >For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default quality
    >sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the smallest I can get
    >it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2 hours per disc.
    >
    >How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they using 8GB
    >capacity DVDs?

    My Panasonic E85H DVD recorder (standalone set-top box) claims to
    have recording quality settings that allow for 1, 2, 4, 6, or 8
    hours on a 4.7G DVD-R disk. I have found the 4-hour mode works
    pretty well for off-the-air recordings and transcribing old VHS SLP
    (6 hours on a 120 tape) recordings to DVD. The 8-hour mode produced
    noticible degradation. 1-hour mode didn't seem much better than
    the 4-hour mode. However, don't expect the quality of commercial
    DVDs for anything analog received over the air, even if later copied
    to DVD. And what I'm recording isn't action sports, where compression
    sometimes makes the {ball, puck, whatever} disappear.

    >Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
    >at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
    >bit of quality.

    The 4-hour ("LP") setting allows me to fit about 5 1-hour episodes
    on one disk, recording to the hard disk first and editing out the
    useless bits, leaving about 45 minutes per episode, then transferring
    to DVD.

    >The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up approximately
    >350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.

    Something doesn't add up here. At 350MB, 46 min long, you should be
    able to fit about 13 episodes on a disk. Or they are really getting
    expanded while being transcoded to something else.

    Gordon L. Burditt
    Gordon Burditt, Oct 16, 2004
  9. Atreju

    erik Guest

    "Atreju" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
    > all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
    > For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default quality
    > sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the smallest I can get
    > it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2 hours per disc.
    >
    > How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they using 8GB
    > capacity DVDs?
    >
    > Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
    > at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
    > bit of quality.
    >
    > The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up approximately
    > 350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.
    >
    > TIA

    Get a player that can play DIVX/XVID files from DVD disc. It's an optimal
    configuration. Then you don't have to do any processing at all. If you want
    DVD-Video anyway, you need to re-encode the video tracks. Full DVD
    resolution is 720x480 (NTSC), which allows to fit ~ 2hours of decent quality
    on 1 4.7GB disc. If you need more, try half D1 (352x480, if I am not
    mistaken), or even 352x240. All are standard resolutions for NTSC DVD disc.
    Values for PAL are 720x576, 352x576, and 352x288.
    erik, Oct 16, 2004
  10. Atreju

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:21:39 GMT, Atreju <>
    wrote:

    >I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
    >all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?

    Bigger discs and if I'm not mistaken better compression methods.
    Instead of compressing the program from start to finish as consumer
    DVD Recorders do, the program is looked at as whole in order to
    achieve the optimal compression result. Some of the DVR/DVD Recorder
    combos might do this too, but I haven't heard of it?

    >Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
    >at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
    >bit of quality.

    I'm finding a Flexible Recording rate of 3 hours per disc gives the
    best balance of space vs. quality of the recording. I just set the rec
    time to 37.5% of the max/EP available and then stop the recording at
    the end of the program. However, depending on what I'm recording and
    the length I may adjust that either way to get better quality or more
    space.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Oct 16, 2004
  11. Atreju

    Chris Guest

    Get a philips dvd player model number DVP-642 it's about $70.00 us
    Chris, Oct 16, 2004
  12. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:34:51 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >"Atreju" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:34:45 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

    >> So how do most people do it? Surely people don't use up 1 disc for
    >> just 2 episodes?

    >Most people just buy the boxsets.....try it.

    I want to put onto DVD stuff that I have taped onto VHS. It is just
    much easier to download a well edited avi file than to capture it all
    from my VHS (especially since I don't have capture equipment). I'm
    just trying to economize on disc space.

    >> Any recommendation on software to shrink the files, even if it
    >> sacrifices some quality?
    >>

    >> ---Atreju---

    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Oct 17, 2004
  13. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On 15 Oct 2004 23:00:55 GMT, (Gordon
    Burditt) wrote:

    >Something doesn't add up here. At 350MB, 46 min long, you should be
    >able to fit about 13 episodes on a disk. Or they are really getting
    >expanded while being transcoded to something else.

    Correct. As the AVI Divx format, they're 350 MB. However, when I use
    something to change them into DVD format, they get enormous.

    I will try DVDshrink as others have suggested and see how it goes.

    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Oct 17, 2004
  14. Atreju

    Billy Joe Guest

    Atreju wrote:
    > I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to
    > pack them all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
    > For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default
    > quality sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the
    > smallest I can get it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2
    > hours per disc.
    >
    > How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they
    > using 8GB capacity DVDs?
    >
    > Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be
    > nice to get at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it
    > means sacrificing a bit of quality.
    >
    > The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up
    > approximately 350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > ---Atreju---

    Have you looked into buying a DVD player that will handle divx files?
    13 or so files of 350 mB in size will fit comfortably on a DVD5 blank.
    No conversion time, no authoring time, no hit-and-miss learning
    curve - just write what you have to DVD and play it - menus included
    courtesy of the player !!!

    BJ
    Billy Joe, Oct 17, 2004
  15. Atreju

    Vile Guest

    I wonder if a DVD player (for your tv) will ever be able to play mpeg
    files like mp3 players do for music files instead of wav's? Some
    people try and impress me with 5 disc cd changers in their cars or
    home music sytems and I just say, I can play 17 music albums from one
    disc on my mp3 player in my car system.

    Vile, Oct 17, 2004
  16. Atreju

    Jay G. Guest

    On 17 Oct 2004 15:01:46 -0700, Vile wrote:

    > I wonder if a DVD player (for your tv) will ever be able to play mpeg
    > files like mp3 players do for music files instead of wav's?

    Certain DVD players have been able to play mpg files, not VCDs mind you but
    CDs with mpg files on them, for years now. Other posters on this thread
    have mentioned DVD players that can play DiVX encoded AVI files, either on
    CDR or DVDR. So the technology is already there.

    It should be noted that Audio CDs do not contain WAVs. Even though an
    Audio CD track and WAV file may contain the same uncompressed audio
    information, they are still two different formats.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Oct 17, 2004
  17. Atreju

    Billy Joe Guest

    Vile wrote:
    > "Billy Joe" <> wrote in message

    >> Atreju wrote:
    >>> I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to
    >>> pack them all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
    >>> For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default
    >>> quality sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the
    >>> smallest I can get it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2
    >>> hours per disc.
    >>>
    >>> How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they
    >>> using 8GB capacity DVDs?
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be
    >>> nice to get at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it
    >>> means sacrificing a bit of quality.
    >>>
    >>> The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up
    >>> approximately 350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >>> ---Atreju---

    >> Have you looked into buying a DVD player that will handle
    >> divx files? 13 or so files of 350 mB in size will fit
    >> comfortably on a DVD5 blank.
    >> No conversion time, no authoring time, no hit-and-miss
    >> learning
    >> curve - just write what you have to DVD and play it - menus
    >> included
    >> courtesy of the player !!!
    >>
    >> BJ

    > I wonder if a DVD player (for your tv) will ever be able to
    > play mpeg
    > files like mp3 players do for music files instead of wav's?
    > Some
    > people try and impress me with 5 disc cd changers in their
    > cars or
    > home music sytems and I just say, I can play 17 music albums
    > from one
    > disc on my mp3 player in my car system.

    Well, that is exactly what I am referring to.

    A host of new players (for your TV) play not only MPEGISO (unauthored
    MPEG1/2) and MPEG4 (or Divx/Xvid) in AVI shells - with support for
    separate sub-title text files, but play JPG and MP3 as well. The
    LiteOn 2001, which I use, courteously asks - when noticing that MP3
    and JPG files share the media - if I'd like music to accompany the
    slide show ;-0)

    Visit here:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    tick the features you'd like in a DVD player and see how many have
    been reported as available.

    While I prefer archiving captured TV in Divx format (1/12 the storage
    space of my captures), for time-shifted viewing I can burn the 12 mbps
    MPEG2 file produced by the capture card I use directly to rewritable
    DVD and play it. No authoring required. If commercials and/or
    redundancies are included, a simple MPEG2 cutter program drops those
    with but a few minutes effort to find the cut points.

    Some players with these capabilities are under US$70.

    BJ

    N.B.
    The capture card is about $120, an 8x DVD writer around $80

    It's not at all inconvenient having the capture card in the 2gp4 PC -
    never a dropped frame or loss of audio synch, lots of HD space
    available, easy edit and conversion software, crystal clear NTSC
    captures in ready to use MPEG2/MP2 format (which happens to be DVD
    compliant, for those who have old generation players).
    Billy Joe, Oct 17, 2004
  18. Atreju

    Robin Banks Guest

    On 17 Oct 2004 15:01:46 -0700, (Vile) wrote:

    > I wonder if a DVD player (for your tv) will ever be able to play mpeg
    > files like mp3 players do for music files instead of wav's?

    Huh? I can put MPEG1 or MPEG2 files on a plain DVD data disc (or even a CDR
    if they're small enough), and my cheapo Apex 1200 will play them fine. It
    shows a directory, I select the file, and off I go watching it.

    ~~R.Banks
    Robin Banks, Oct 18, 2004
  19. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:23:43 -0700, "Billy Joe" <>
    wrote:

    >Have you looked into buying a DVD player that will handle divx files?
    >13 or so files of 350 mB in size will fit comfortably on a DVD5 blank.
    >No conversion time, no authoring time, no hit-and-miss learning
    >curve - just write what you have to DVD and play it - menus included
    >courtesy of the player !!!
    >
    >BJ

    Well, firstly those discs are much more expensive.
    Secondly, not all people have that type of player yet. I wouldn't mind
    the ability to take a movie over to my friend's house, etc...

    ---Atreju---
    Atreju, Oct 18, 2004
  20. Atreju

    Darkknight Guest

    what are you using to make you DVD's???
    Try nero vision express this will allow you to lower the bit rate
    considerably to fit more content.
    also use ac3 audio, nero can do this if you get the plugin.
    i have done this with several seasons of programs, can get about 5 hours
    of program at reasonable quality on a single layer DVD

    Darkknight, Oct 19, 2004