    Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
    called partslink.

    Cheers Ian B

    Ian Boag, Feb 25, 2006

  2. Ian Boag

    krazy Bob Guest

    "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
    > the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
    > captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
    > ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).
    >
    > I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
    > against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
    > this (I don't mind paying)
    >
    > Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
    > called partslink.
    >
    > Cheers Ian B

    Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
    have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS. then
    if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
    author it on there.

    Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD not to
    sure if thats removeable tho

    KB

    krazy Bob, Feb 25, 2006

  3. Ian Boag

    Philip Guest

    krazy Bob wrote:
    > "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    >> Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
    >> the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
    >> captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
    >> ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
    >> against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
    >> this (I don't mind paying)
    >>
    >> Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
    >> called partslink.
    >>
    >> Cheers Ian B

    > Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
    > have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS. then
    > if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
    > author it on there.
    >
    > Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD not to
    > sure if thats removeable tho
    >
    > KB

    Sadly, the dox with MySky say that closed captioning isn't captured,
    which IMHO is a bummer for the trifling extra space it would take.
    Anyone here know if the TiVo capures it?

    It's a real shame, but your suggestion is the only one that's likely to
    work. You could try writing Sky, but I wonder if they will care enough
    even to reply.

    Philip

    Philip, Feb 25, 2006
  4. Ian Boag

    David Guest

    krazy Bob wrote:
    > "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    >> Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
    >> the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
    >> captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
    >> ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
    >> against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
    >> this (I don't mind paying)
    >>
    >> Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
    >> called partslink.
    >>
    >> Cheers Ian B

    > Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
    > have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS. then
    > if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
    > author it on there.
    >
    > Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD not to
    > sure if thats removeable tho
    >
    > KB

    Why use a VCR? That would lead to huge quality loss. IMHO it would be
    better to either go straight to the PC using a capture card and the
    SCART/Svideo output from the tv, or otherwise to a DVD recorder, and rip
    the DVDs (it would make sense to use rewritables) onto your PC
    afterwards for editing.

    I don't know if there is such a thing, but maybe you could get a capture
    card that understands teletext/captions? I have my TV connected to a
    standard (not MySky) decoder with SCART, and it is able to pickup
    teletext through that connection.

    David, Feb 25, 2006
  5. Ian Boag

    Ian Boag Guest

    David <> wrote:

    >krazy Bob wrote:
    >> "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    >>> Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
    >>> the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
    >>> captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
    >>> ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
    >>> against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
    >>> this (I don't mind paying)
    >>>
    >>> Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
    >>> called partslink.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers Ian B

    >> Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
    >> have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS. then
    >> if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
    >> author it on there.
    >>
    >> Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD not to
    >> sure if thats removeable tho
    >>
    >> KB
    >>

    >Why use a VCR? That would lead to huge quality loss. IMHO it would be
    >better to either go straight to the PC using a capture card and the
    >SCART/Svideo output from the tv, or otherwise to a DVD recorder, and rip
    >the DVDs (it would make sense to use rewritables) onto your PC
    >afterwards for editing.
    >
    >I don't know if there is such a thing, but maybe you could get a capture
    >card that understands teletext/captions? I have my TV connected to a
    >standard (not MySky) decoder with SCART, and it is able to pickup
    >teletext through that connection.

    Many thanks.

    I actually have a HDD/DVD recorder so the VCR quality and editing bit
    isn't a problem. Hacking stuff round (eg killing the commercials) is a
    breeze as is rolling it off to a DVD. The one-time ones are cheap
    enough these days that it doesn't really matter.

    Ian Boag, Feb 25, 2006
  6. Ian Boag

    cyril Guest

    Essentially mpeg coding will not pass teletext data that renders it
    usefull.

    DVB technology sends Teletext as a seperate data stream that is then
    pushed out from the STB on the appropriate teletext lines for down
    stream teletext decoders to decode. ie the teletext data lines that
    existed in the original transmission do not undergo mpeg coding in a
    end to end transparent process, they are decoded at the mpeg encoder
    shipped to the STB seperately and recreated and reinjected by the STB
    on the outgoing video.

    The MySky does not capture this extra stream when capturing the desired
    video and audio streams so does not pass it on.

    Similarly if a video stream out of a STB has teletext on it and you
    feed it into a HDD recorder then you will find that the mpeg encoder
    will stuff up the teletext data on the teletext lines rendering it
    useless. Guess this is where you are at.

    Cyril

    cyril, Feb 26, 2006
  7. Ian Boag

    Ian Boag Guest

    Yep. I got that far today. Hooked up the Sky decoder direct to the TV
    in one set of red/white/yellows and through the HDDR to another set.

    No captions showing on the signal that had been through the HDDR.
    Captions showing just fine on the direct connection.

    My ambition was to burn a DVD with captions that would play on any old
    TV. Is there any way at all this can be done?

    Ian Boag, Feb 26, 2006
  8. Ian Boag

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    > David <> wrote:
    >
    > >krazy Bob wrote:
    > >> "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message

    > >> Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
    > >> have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS.

    then
    > >> if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
    > >> author it on there.
    > >>
    > >> Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD

    not to
    > >> sure if thats removeable tho
    > >>
    > >> KB
    > >>

    > >Why use a VCR? That would lead to huge quality loss. IMHO it would be
    > >better to either go straight to the PC using a capture card and the
    > >SCART/Svideo output from the tv, or otherwise to a DVD recorder, and rip
    > >the DVDs (it would make sense to use rewritables) onto your PC
    > >afterwards for editing.
    > >
    > >I don't know if there is such a thing, but maybe you could get a capture
    > >card that understands teletext/captions? I have my TV connected to a
    > >standard (not MySky) decoder with SCART, and it is able to pickup
    > >teletext through that connection.

    > Many thanks.
    >
    > I actually have a HDD/DVD recorder so the VCR quality and editing bit
    > isn't a problem. Hacking stuff round (eg killing the commercials) is a
    > breeze as is rolling it off to a DVD. The one-time ones are cheap
    > enough these days that it doesn't really matter.

    If you want subtitled stuff off Tv1/Tv2 you could get a pc satellite tuner
    card and use the FREE TO AIR digital transmissions on Optus B1 and record
    the content to your HD. You could edit /dump to a DVD with subtitles
    included without and Analogue conversion step.

    Craig Sutton, Feb 26, 2006
  9. Ian Boag

    Richard Guest

    Ian Boag wrote:
    > Yep. I got that far today. Hooked up the Sky decoder direct to the TV
    > in one set of red/white/yellows and through the HDDR to another set.
    >
    > No captions showing on the signal that had been through the HDDR.
    > Captions showing just fine on the direct connection.
    >
    > My ambition was to burn a DVD with captions that would play on any old
    > TV. Is there any way at all this can be done?

    Old NEC external teletext decoder inbetween the skybox and the HDD recorder.
    keep in mind that you will have to punch it onto 801 yourself and it will just
    have the last line of subtitle on it when you change channel to one that doesnt
    have titles. Oh, and it means you get the crappiest interconnect possible being
    that it only has component inputs. I dont even know if a component signal can
    carry teletext so it may be all you get anyway?

    Richard, Feb 26, 2006
  10. Ian Boag

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 03:02:30 GMT, (Ian Boag) wrote:

    >Yep. I got that far today. Hooked up the Sky decoder direct to the TV
    >in one set of red/white/yellows and through the HDDR to another set.
    >
    >No captions showing on the signal that had been through the HDDR.
    >Captions showing just fine on the direct connection.
    >
    >My ambition was to burn a DVD with captions that would play on any old
    >TV. Is there any way at all this can be done?

    If your TV has video out, and you turn the captions on, does it overlay it onto
    the outgoing picture or just to the screen? If the outgoing video signal has it
    then you could use your HDD recorder to record the signal from there.

    Craig Shore, Feb 27, 2006