Telescum AKA Xtra

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector, May 3, 2004.

  1. Collector

    Collector Guest

    Well a small client asked me to arrange a domain name and mail for them.
    Currently they dial up to xtra so they wanted xtra to do it.

    A quick look at Xtras costs showed that it worked out to $436 for two
    years with setup charges and fees ongoing charges etc.
    Since this sort of arrangement can be achieved through other suppliers
    for lots less I rang Xtra to confirm my maths.

    Yep I was right.
    Over a two year period
    Xtra $436
    compared to ....
    Freeparking $202
    Orcon $64
    Now this was for registering a domain name and 1 wildcard email for the
    domain, no dial up charges included.
    A two year period was chosen for comparision due to the way Xtra charge
    (A setup fee and then monthly in advance) so that total cost could be
    compared.

    There is a big difference

    Collector, May 3, 2004

  2. Collector wrote:
    > Well a small client asked me to arrange a domain name and mail for them.
    > Currently they dial up to xtra so they wanted xtra to do it.
    > There is a big difference

    And you were surprised by this why?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 3, 2004

  3. Collector

    Collector Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Collector wrote:
    >
    >> Well a small client asked me to arrange a domain name and mail for
    >> them. Currently they dial up to xtra so they wanted xtra to do it.
    >> There is a big difference

    > And you were surprised by this why?

    Because of the amount of premium they charged.

    Actually the better laugh was the sales droid at Xtra Business saying
    "Yes there are other very competitive services but are there platforms
    as reliable as ours". Of course I imediately mentioned the latest fiasco
    of 48 hour delays on NZ emails from Xtra. "Silence"

    Collector, May 3, 2004
  4. Collector wrote:
    >>> Well a small client asked me to arrange a domain name and mail for
    >>> them. Currently they dial up to xtra so they wanted xtra to do it.
    >>> There is a big difference

    >> And you were surprised by this why?

    > Because of the amount of premium they charged.

    And you were surprised... no really; you were?

    > Actually the better laugh was the sales droid at Xtra Business saying
    > "Yes there are other very competitive services but are there platforms
    > as reliable as ours". Of course I imediately mentioned the latest fiasco
    > of 48 hour delays on NZ emails from Xtra. "Silence"

    heh, you gotta feel sorry for the Teletech Contractors... Starting on
    $28k with 4 weeks "training"... it not until you've worked there for a
    while that you know how to pull the wool over their eyes.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 3, 2004
  5. Collector

    Collector Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> And you were surprised by this why?

    >> Because of the amount of premium they charged.

    > And you were surprised... no really; you were?

    Funny as it may seem yes, I expect a rip off as far as anything remotely
    connected to Telescum is concerned, but not this size. They must not
    want the business which begs the question just how profitable is Xtra in
    other areas.

    Collector, May 3, 2004
  6. Collector wrote:
    >>> Because of the amount of premium they charged.

    >> And you were surprised... no really; you were?

    > Funny as it may seem yes, I expect a rip off as far as anything remotely
    > connected to Telescum is concerned, but not this size. They must not
    > want the business which begs the question just how profitable is Xtra in
    > other areas.

    sorry, I took what you said wrong... you expected to be ripped off, but
    not by *that* amount.

    They'll get the business because end users don't look any firther than
    the propoganda they get with their Telecom bill... just recently I was
    asked by someone "What Xtra plan I got Wireless through?" I explained
    about how there are other providers, and explained that I don't use
    Xtra, and explained that there are other options and after a while gave
    up as they just didn't get it.

    Telecom and Xtra target the market that don't want to use any extra
    effort to do anything...

    Aside: I think that it would be an interesting stat to see the operating
    system of choice of Xtra customers vs almost any other ISP.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 3, 2004
  7. Collector

    Rob Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message news:<c74crg$hnka7$-berlin.de>...

    > Aside: I think that it would be an interesting stat to see the operating
    > system of choice of Xtra customers vs almost any other ISP.

    What conclusion would you hope to draw?

    Rob, May 5, 2004
  8. Rob wrote:
    >>Aside: I think that it would be an interesting stat to see the operating
    >>system of choice of Xtra customers vs almost any other ISP.

    > What conclusion would you hope to draw?

    ummm none really, I just think it may be interesting to read.
    I like to read statistics.

    One conclusion that may be evident is that they have a smaller %age of
    Linux users, a higher %age of XP home users to XP pro users.

    Dunno really, would just like to see it.

    I also like to know about the number of hours spent online, the ratio of
    DSL customer/Dialup customer aswell.

    And yes, I do realise that Im never going to be able to get this sort of
    information, and if I did, never be allowed to comment on it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 5, 2004
  9. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> What conclusion would you hope to draw?

    > ummm none really, I just think it may be interesting to read.
    > I like to read statistics.

    Just to clarify...

    > One conclusion that may be evident is that they have a smaller %age of
    > Linux users, a higher %age of XP home users to XP pro users.

    Maybe a less technical user base.

    > I also like to know about the number of hours spent online, the ratio of
    > DSL customer/Dialup customer aswell.

    Maybe lower usage/customer less bandwidth/customer

    > And yes, I do realise that Im never going to be able to get this sort of
    > information, and if I did, never be allowed to comment on it.

    clear enough I think. :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz