    Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at a
    different phone point. Any ideas anyone?

    P.S. UK user
    ºoºfizzyºoº, Jul 8, 2004

  2. ºoºfizzyºoº

    Brian Guest

    "ºoºfizzyºoº" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:p...
    > My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
    > house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
    > Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at

    > different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > P.S. UK user

    Noise? cables not seated correctly in that point? your telephone doesn't
    need the cable/connection quality that a modem needs..
    Brian, Jul 8, 2004

  3. ºoºfizzyºoº

    Livewire Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
    > house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
    > Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at a
    > different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > P.S. UK user

    Some time since I've used dial-up but there's an option for the modem to
    ignore whether or not there's a dialtone. If you use that, it might work
    -- albeit at a lower speed if the wiring is poor.
    Livewire, Jul 8, 2004
  4. ºoºfizzyºoº

    Unknown Guest

    Check the colors of the wires at the non working outlet and compare to working
    outlet. If wired wrong phone may work but not modem since computer/modem is
    grounded.

    Unknown, Jul 8, 2004
  5. ºoºfizzyºoº

    ImhoTech Guest

    > My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
    > house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
    > Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at

    > different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > P.S. UK user

    I haven't run across one but its rumored that some modems will give a no
    dialtone error if the polarity of the jack you're plugging into is reversed.
    ImhoTech, Jul 8, 2004
  6. ºoºfizzyºoº wrote:
    >> My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point
    >> in my house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point
    >> I get a 'No Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok
    >> as it works fine at a different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
    >>
    >> P.S. UK user

    Whats your total REN on your phone connections?
    ie, how many phones, faxes, sky box, etc..
    Also, try a different splitter or something.
    Rt. Hon. Stephen Taggart-Hendry Esq., Jul 8, 2004
  7. Livewire wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone
    >>> point in my house. However, when I plug my modem into the same
    >>> phone point I get a 'No Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the
    >>> modem is ok as it works fine at a different phone point. Any ideas
    >>> anyone?
    >>>
    >>> P.S. UK user
    >>>

    >> Some time since I've used dial-up but there's an option for the
    >> modem to ignore whether or not there's a dialtone. If you use that,
    >> it might work -- albeit at a lower speed if the wiring is poor.

    More than likely it will not work at all.
    Rt. Hon. Stephen Taggart-Hendry Esq., Jul 8, 2004
  8. ºoºfizzyºoº

    Livewire Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Livewire wrote:
    > >> In article <>,
    > >> says...

    > >> Some time since I've used dial-up but there's an option for the
    > >> modem to ignore whether or not there's a dialtone. If you use that,
    > >> it might work -- albeit at a lower speed if the wiring is poor.

    > More than likely it will not work at all.

    It won't do any harm to try, though, for the sake of a few seconds on
    the configuration menu.

    Livewire, Jul 8, 2004
  9. ºoºfizzyºoº

    Plato Guest

    Livewire wrote:

    > > My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
    > > house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
    > > Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at a
    > > different phone point. Any ideas anyone?

    A no-dial tone found is usually the result of a bad cable or a modem
    that has been pharked by a surge. My guess is that you didn't have your
    modem protected by a surge protector.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 8, 2004
  10. it's definately to do with the line as I've now tried different modems....
    same result each time.

    ºoºfizzyºoº, Jul 8, 2004
  11. ºoºfizzyºoº

    w_tom Guest

    Connect modem to line receptacle (wall jack). Then plug
    telephone into modem's second receptacle labeled "phone".
    (Verify you have used correct receptacles on modem for line
    and phone). If modem is connected, then phone connected to
    line via modem will work just fine.

    Now is that a conventional dial tone or does dialtone also
    indicate messages on an answering machine? Is there anything
    special about that phone line? Such variations are "No
    Dialtone Detected" to modems.

    w_tom, Jul 8, 2004
  12. ºoºfizzyºoº

    Guest

    Looks like your modem is not detecting the dial tone.
    click control Panel->Modem->Properties->Connection->Advanced->Extra
    Settings"atx1"(without quotes)

    This should allow your system to do a blind dialing

    Rajesh Sanghrajka

    "Rt. Hon. Stephen Taggart-Hendry Esq." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > ºoºfizzyºoº wrote:
    > >> My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point
    > >> in my house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point
    > >> I get a 'No Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok
    > >> as it works fine at a different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
    > >>
    > >> P.S. UK user

    > Whats your total REN on your phone connections?
    > ie, how many phones, faxes, sky box, etc..
    > Also, try a different splitter or something.
    > --
    , Jul 11, 2004