Teleocom chages thwe rulse again for 256K Jetstream and Orcon.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutlley, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Mutlley

    colinco Guest

    In article Mutlley says...
    > Seems like the monopoly never gives up in try to kill off the small
    > guy.
    >
    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/company/press/54318/
    >
    > Where the CC when you need them..??

    Did Orcon really expect any thankyou for being the only ISP to be openly
    happy with Telecom's new wholesale plans.

    Old saying "If you sup with the devil take a long spoon"

    colinco, Aug 11, 2004

  3. "... and we will also honor the static IP address for users who have
    already signed up from an existing promotion wherever possible."

    This had better include existing customers who were not elegable for the
    promotion and who were to be transferred to the new plan automatically.
    It seems only advertising of this feature is not allowed, so there
    should be no problem. Just give everyone a static IP and let the
    newsgroup sell to users who care :)

    The page also mentions a 10GB "average limit", which suggests that Orcon
    will only be responsible for costs over and above 10GB multiplied by the
    number of users. In that case, they are probably not going to incur much
    additional cost (if any) from meeting any extra bandwidth costs.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Mutlley

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:28:46 +1200, Mutlley <>
    wrote:

    >Seems like the monopoly never gives up in try to kill off the small
    >guy.
    >
    >http://www.orcon.net.nz/company/press/54318/
    >
    >Where the CC when you need them..??

    Eeekk..that's the most spelling mistakes I've ever seen in subject!

    Dogg, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Dogg wrote:
    > Eeekk..that's the most spelling mistakes I've ever seen in subject!

    probabkly writon im hast me thinks.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 12, 2004
  6. Mutlley

    steve Guest

    steve, Aug 12, 2004
  7. Mutlley

    steve Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > "... and we will also honor the static IP address for users who have
    > already signed up from an existing promotion wherever possible."
    >
    > This had better include existing customers who were not elegable for the
    > promotion and who were to be transferred to the new plan automatically.
    > It seems only advertising of this feature is not allowed, so there
    > should be no problem. Just give everyone a static IP and let the
    > newsgroup sell to users who care :)

    I have a static IP and they best not change it.

    If I can't have a static IP, then ADSL is useless for me...and I'll have to
    look at satellite.

    I've run my own mail server on a static IP since November 1999....and don't
    plan to stop now.

    Steve

    steve, Aug 12, 2004
  8. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    Dogg <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:28:46 +1200, Mutlley <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Seems like the monopoly never gives up in try to kill off the small
    >>guy.
    >>
    >>http://www.orcon.net.nz/company/press/54318/
    >>
    >>Where the CC when you need them..??

    >Eeekk..that's the most spelling mistakes I've ever seen in subject!

    Got your attention though :)

    Mutlley, Aug 12, 2004
  9. Mutlley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Seems like the monopoly never gives up in try to kill off the small
    > guy.
    >
    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/company/press/54318/
    >
    > Where the CC when you need them..??

    OT:

    Why did Spybot resident thingy come up with three new process' asking
    permission for registry changes when I looked at that page?

    I denied them all but am curious,

    One was "Backward links", don't remember the others.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 12, 2004
  10. Mutlley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > "... and we will also honor the static IP address for users who have
    > already signed up from an existing promotion wherever possible."

    I nearly have enough money saved up to call the installer. (Another $20
    needed for install cost, next week would have done it) I don't know if I
    will now. I wanted a static IP.

    Telescum for sure.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 12, 2004
  11. Mutlley

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > The Other Guy wrote:
    > > "... and we will also honor the static IP address for users who have
    > > already signed up from an existing promotion wherever possible."

    > I nearly have enough money saved up to call the installer. (Another $20
    > needed for install cost, next week would have done it) I don't know if I
    > will now. I wanted a static IP.

    While a static IP is necessary if you're running a server of any kind, a
    dynamic IP is not the end of the world. There are many free redirectors
    available that solve the problem of having a dynamic IP.

    http://www.no-ip.com/

    I've used no-ip for years, and they are very reliable.

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 12, 2004
  12. Mutlley

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:51:24 +1200, Mutlley <>
    wrote:

    >Dogg <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:28:46 +1200, Mutlley <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Seems like the monopoly never gives up in try to kill off the small
    >>>guy.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.orcon.net.nz/company/press/54318/
    >>>
    >>>Where the CC when you need them..??

    >>Eeekk..that's the most spelling mistakes I've ever seen in subject!

    >Got your attention though :)

    That's true.

    Dogg, Aug 12, 2004
  13. steve wrote:
    > If I can't have a static IP, then ADSL is useless for me...and I'll have to
    > look at satellite.
    >
    > I've run my own mail server on a static IP since November 1999....and don't
    > plan to stop now.

    You could always use a VPN...

    http://www.nz.netheaven.com/

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Aug 12, 2004
  14. Mutlley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> The Other Guy wrote:
    >>> "... and we will also honor the static IP address for users who have
    >>> already signed up from an existing promotion wherever possible."

    >> I nearly have enough money saved up to call the installer. (Another
    >> $20 needed for install cost, next week would have done it) I don't
    >> know if I will now. I wanted a static IP.
    >>

    > While a static IP is necessary if you're running a server of any
    > kind, a dynamic IP is not the end of the world. There are many free
    > redirectors available that solve the problem of having a dynamic IP.
    >
    > http://www.no-ip.com/
    >
    > I've used no-ip for years, and they are very reliable.
    >
    > RJ out.

    True. I just would have prefered a static IP. More relaible one would think,
    especially for running a mail server.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 12, 2004
  15. On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:16:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I nearly have enough money saved up to call the installer. (Another
    >>> $20 needed for install cost, next week would have done it) I don't
    >>> know if I will now. I wanted a static IP.
    >>>

    >> While a static IP is necessary if you're running a server of any
    >> kind, a dynamic IP is not the end of the world. There are many free
    >> redirectors available that solve the problem of having a dynamic IP.
    >>
    >> http://www.no-ip.com/
    >>
    >> I've used no-ip for years, and they are very reliable.
    >>
    >> RJ out.

    >True. I just would have prefered a static IP. More relaible one would think,
    >especially for running a mail server.

    If you have a backup MX server, then there is no problem with having a
    dynamic IP for an SMTP server. I ran that way for years until I
    switched to a Wifi connection with a static IP. And I think that a
    geographically diverse backup MX service is vital anyway, as any
    Internet connection can go down. There are lots and lots of places
    offering backup MX service at cheap prices. I did not go with the
    cheapest, but instead went with the one offered by my dynamic DNS
    service (www.dyndns.org). It is still pretty cheap, and I know that
    they operate a good service.

    Stephen Worthington, Aug 13, 2004