    one have any comments (pro or con) about buying the Canon product vs.
    the other brands? Do you gain anything by using the Canon product?

    Thanks
    EBL, Aug 22, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi--
    >
    > I'm interested in getting a 2x teleconverter for my digital rebel. I
    > see that Canon makes one, but so do other lens companies. Does any
    > one have any comments (pro or con) about buying the Canon product vs.
    > the other brands? Do you gain anything by using the Canon product?
    >
    > Thanks

    For starters, the Canon is limited to certain lenses due to its design.
    Unless you're using one of those lenses (typically Canon's higher-end
    telephotos) I'd think you'd be better off with a generic.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian C. Baird, Aug 22, 2004

  3. EBL

    Robertwgross Guest

    EBL wrote:
    >I'm interested in getting a 2x teleconverter for my digital rebel. I
    >see that Canon makes one, but so do other lens companies. Does any
    >one have any comments (pro or con) about buying the Canon product vs.
    >the other brands? Do you gain anything by using the Canon product?

    Assuming that you have a normal lens, I would avoid the two Canon TC products.
    When I use a normal lens, I use a Tamron. When I use a long "L" lens, then the
    Canon goes on. On some occasions, I use both together.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Aug 22, 2004
  4. EBL

    grenner Guest

    I use the Tamron and it works just fine. I have never used the Canon one.

    Greg

    grenner, Aug 22, 2004
  5. EBL

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    The Canon teleconverters are only for certain Canon L lenses. If you aren't
    using L glass they will not even fit. Kenko makes two good models the older
    MC series is about 120 dollars and the newer Pro 300 series at about 200
    dollars. I have 2x converters in each model and I think the Pro 300 is worth
    the extra but that is up to you. The Tamron SP is probably the Kenko MC
    rebadged.
    Almost all other teleconverters are junk - Brands like Vivitar and Phoenix
    are all rebranded Korean junk and there is a Sigma TC that, besides not
    being very good, has all the compatibility issues of most Sigma lenses
    according to the two people I know who traded them in on Kenkos.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 22, 2004
  6. EBL

    EBL Guest

    (EBL) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi--
    >
    > I'm interested in getting a 2x teleconverter for my digital rebel. I
    > see that Canon makes one, but so do other lens companies. Does any
    > one have any comments (pro or con) about buying the Canon product vs.
    > the other brands? Do you gain anything by using the Canon product?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks for the comments. I should have been more explicit about the
    lens that I currently have--I have a Canon EF75-300mm F4-F5.6 IS Lens.

    Thanks again.
    EBL, Aug 22, 2004
  7. "EBL" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Thanks for the comments. I should have been more explicit about the
    > lens that I currently have--I have a Canon EF75-300mm F4-F5.6 IS

    Lens.

    A 2x extender/converter will change that into a f/8-f/11 lens wide
    open. Only the top of the line bodies allow reliable (if any)
    autofocus at f/8. Not a big issue if you are prepared for manual
    focus, but I thought you should be aware.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Aug 22, 2004
  8. EBL

    stanb Guest

    If, as I suspect the 300d/drebel is like my 10d, you need at a minimum f8 to
    AF. therefore a 2x TC wont AF with your 75-300 - 2*f5.6=f11. I made the
    same mistake with my 24-135, you might get away with a 1.4x but I'd try it
    in the shop first.

    Another thing you will get with the TC is image degredation - I've tried my
    tamron 2x on my 70-200 f2.8, it works, but the shot looks like it was taken
    with a elcrappo cheapie lense. (ok its an elcrappo cheapie TC!) with bad CA
    and low contrast - until I can afford a 400 it'll do in a pinch....

    stanb, Aug 22, 2004
  9. EBL

    leo Guest

    "stanb" <> wrote in message
    > If, as I suspect the 300d/drebel is like my 10d, you need at a minimum f8
    > AF. therefore a 2x TC wont AF with your 75-300 - 2*f5.6=f11. I made the
    > same mistake with my 24-135, you might get away with a 1.4x but I'd try
    > it
    > in the shop first.
    >
    > Another thing you will get with the TC is image degredation - I've tried
    > my
    > tamron 2x on my 70-200 f2.8, it works, but the shot looks like it was
    > taken
    > with a elcrappo cheapie lense. (ok its an elcrappo cheapie TC!) with bad
    > CA
    > and low contrast - until I can afford a 400 it'll do in a pinch....

    I believe the mininum AF is f/5.6.
    leo, Aug 22, 2004
  10. EBL

    John Pane Guest

    In article <>,
    EBL <> wrote:
    > (EBL) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Hi--
    >>
    >> I'm interested in getting a 2x teleconverter for my digital rebel. I
    >> see that Canon makes one, but so do other lens companies. Does any
    >> one have any comments (pro or con) about buying the Canon product vs.
    >> the other brands? Do you gain anything by using the Canon product?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Thanks for the comments. I should have been more explicit about the
    >lens that I currently have--I have a Canon EF75-300mm F4-F5.6 IS Lens.

    The Canon TCs will not work with this lens.

    John

    John Pane, Aug 22, 2004
  11. EBL

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (EBL) wrote:

    >I'm interested in getting a 2x teleconverter for my digital rebel. I
    >see that Canon makes one, but so do other lens companies. Does any
    >one have any comments (pro or con) about buying the Canon product vs.
    >the other brands? Do you gain anything by using the Canon product?

    One problem with the Canons is that they protrude on the lens end, and
    only a subset of EOS-mount lenses work with them. Canon generally only
    makes their high end telephotos fit on the converter. The Kenko Pro 300
    and Tamron SP converters (~US $200) don't have the protruding element,
    and work with all lenses, and are of very good quality.

    The thing you should know about teleconverters is that they rob you of a
    lot of light. A 2x converter will will double the f-stop range of your
    lens, so in order to get the same exposure, you're going to have to
    quadruple the open shutter time. However, the narrower angle of view
    may require a 1-stop faster shutter speed instead, to avoid camera
    motion blur. The camera will not autofocus with any lens slower than
    f2.8 with a 2x converter.

    Also, these teleconverters for SLRs are not going to give you any more
    resloution than the lens is capable of. Many affordable, popular lenses
    like the Canon 28-135mm IS and 75-300mm IS don't resolve enough detail
    to make it a worthwhile compromise to lose so much light.
    Teleconverters work best with the Canon L telephoto lenses, sharp macro
    lenses, etc. This is more true with the 2x converters than the 1.4x
    ones. A lens that may work with the 1.4x may give soft output with the
    2x and not worth losing the light. I would suggest that if you're going
    to get one TC, get the 1.4x. It will lose a lot less light, and
    disappoint you less than the 2x with medium and low-grade lenses.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Aug 22, 2004
  12. EBL

    Guest

    In message <41281707$0$8086$>,
    "grenner" <> wrote:

    >I use the Tamron and it works just fine. I have never used the Canon one.

    I have the Tamron SP 2x, which is the same as the Kenko Pro 300. With a
    very sharp lens, like my Canon 300mm f4L or Tamron 90 macro, it does not
    compromise the image in any noticeable way, and the images are just as
    sharp per-pixel as any decent quality lens without the converter. I
    bought it originally for my 75-300mm IS, but all it did was magnify the
    softness of that lens at 300mm, and lose a lot of light.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Aug 22, 2004
  13. EBL

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (EBL) wrote:

    >Thanks for the comments. I should have been more explicit about the
    >lens that I currently have--I have a Canon EF75-300mm F4-F5.6 IS Lens.

    Wait until you upgrade to a better lens. A TC with that lens will just
    waste light. You can do almost as well by just cropping the images from
    the lens without the TC, without losing 2 or more stops of light.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Aug 22, 2004
  14. EBL

    Guest

    In message <412890e4$>,
    "stanb" <> wrote:

    >Another thing you will get with the TC is image degredation - I've tried my
    >tamron 2x on my 70-200 f2.8, it works, but the shot looks like it was taken
    >with a elcrappo cheapie lense. (ok its an elcrappo cheapie TC!) with bad CA
    >and low contrast - until I can afford a 400 it'll do in a pinch....

    Is that the US$70 Tamron or the $200 Tamron? The $200 one (SP) is very
    high quality. With a sharp lens, it works very well.

    1.4x is generally best for zooms. Most zooms aren't sharp enough to
    warrant 2x unless they're stopped quite a bit, on top of losing two
    stops to the converter.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Aug 22, 2004