    downlink, what type of equipment we will need etc etc. Will run on our
    copper lines still? and dates!

    Thanks

    Puddle, Nov 14, 2007

  2. Puddle

    sam Guest

    Puddle wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am just curious about telecom's NGN. What exactly is it? Does anyone
    > have any details or a link that shows more about it? speeds, uplink,
    > downlink, what type of equipment we will need etc etc. Will run on our
    > copper lines still? and dates!
    >
    > Thanks

    Its a very broad term which means using IP for everything
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Generation_Networking

    sam, Nov 14, 2007

  3. Puddle

    bret Guest

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4178345a28.html

    bret, Nov 14, 2007
  4. Puddle wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am just curious about telecom's NGN. What exactly is it? Does anyone
    > have any details or a link that shows more about it? speeds, uplink,
    > downlink, what type of equipment we will need etc etc. Will run on our
    > copper lines still? and dates!
    >
    > Thanks

    As a managed solution NGN is already obsolete, we were a very large user
    of NGN and have now switched to Telescum One Office solution. NGN
    continues but has limitations and costs which we are now clear of.

    collector«NZ, Nov 14, 2007
  5. Puddle

    Mark C Guest

    Puddle <> wrote in

    > I am just curious about telecom's NGN. What exactly is it?

    <scepticism>

    It's just the old network with a little bit of work done on it, and
    it is (was) used as a bargaining chip to stave off regulation: "If
    you regulate us, we will take our shiny NGN toys away and won't play
    with you."

    </scepticism>

    Mark C, Nov 14, 2007
  6. Puddle

    Jim Guest

    "bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:22:04 +1300, Puddle wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am just curious about telecom's NGN. What exactly is it? Does anyone
    >> have any details or a link that shows more about it? speeds, uplink,
    >> downlink, what type of equipment we will need etc etc. Will run on our
    >> copper lines still? and dates!
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/4178345a28.html

    why do this for him? how hard is it to type "telecom's NGN" into google?!
    "teach a man to fish ..." etc

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=telecom's NGN&btnG=Google Search&meta=cr=countryNZ

    --
    Jim

    --
    Jim

    --
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 17, 2007
  7. Puddle

    Jim Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > Puddle <> wrote in
    >
    >> I am just curious about telecom's NGN. What exactly is it?

    > <scepticism>
    >
    > It's just the old network with a little bit of work done on it, and
    > it is (was) used as a bargaining chip to stave off regulation: "If
    > you regulate us, we will take our shiny NGN toys away and won't play
    > with you."
    >
    > </scepticism>

    no it isnt, no it wasnt, this misses the whole point, it isnt the old
    network any more. About all thats in common will be the last 100m to your
    house, the upstream will all be replaced. Basically this brings the
    telecomunications network out of the 19th century into the 21st - this is
    tantamount to taking out the "telco side" analogue hardware and replacing
    with an all digital network & new hardware.
    The old "replace the wings & engine while the plane continues to fly" idea.

    The most significant negative impact to us as consumers is that the network
    will no longer provide power, so you'll need to use an electric plug to
    power things, instead of getting it from the wire like your phone currently
    does, so in an electricity failure you'll lose your landline. And your 111
    service. Better have a charged mobile! And since you'll now need access
    points & hubs & switches & sky boxes & recorders anyway the wire wouldnt be
    much help even if they did give you the 12v(?). Just dont have any heart
    attacks & you'll be fine.

    On the positive front it will mean a possibility of new services (like what
    has happened now that most people have DSL - whatever kind - instead of 57.6
    modems). Bandwidth dependent of course, but the network will be the right
    kind to upgrade, whereas now it simply isnt.

    Telcos like TelstraClear dont have this problem because they're young enough
    to have started right - their problem is access to the last 100m, not
    unscalable network architecture. And that means great things for them come
    January 2008 (well, in Glenfield and 2? other exchanges anyway, but thats a
    different topic too :)

    Whether or not there is (de)regulation such telcos (across the world) have
    to do this simply because their old hardware is literally >= 50 years old
    and falling apart and they dont make it any more. You've possibly heard the
    modern management mantra "sweat the asset" - well, only water companies have
    been more successful - and I read something today about a tendency in NZ to
    reduce water pressure because the 50 year old mains are rotting away &
    leaking and some commercial fire sprinklers failing due to a lack of
    suitable mains pressure - in a way so is the telco network, except you dont
    usually hear about it except as a new item slagging Telecom about why its
    piss poor about maintaining services. Well, its trying to replace it before
    it falls apart ... but people underestimate the sheer scale. Thats not to
    excuse customer service shortfalls just explaining theres a lot of NW
    infrastructure to replace.

    --
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 17, 2007