Telecoms new pricing and does Teresa use it

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PJB, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. PJB

    PJB Guest

    or does she use the Telstra cable system in Wellington where she lives and
    maybe that is the reason why it hasn't been improved.

    Most of us have seen the new Telecom pricing and everything I have read so
    far compares Telecom with ISP's reselling the ADSL from Telecom.

    No one has mentioned the Telestra Cable system we have in Wellington. I also
    have a house in Auckland where I use ADSL 2Mb D/Load and 128Kb U/Load, this
    costs me $69.95 per month.
    In Wellington the Telstra cable is 2Mb D/Load and 1Mb U/Load. This cost me
    $69.95 /month.

    In Wellington I get download speeds at night in the order of 170-250Kb/sec
    on Telstra and during the day up to 700Kb, but the Telecom ADSL in Auckland
    only delivers me 14-30Kb during the same peak periods at night, daytime is
    faster but not alot.

    Why can't Telecom provide a similiar system as Telstra thoughout the
    country, ADSL is an inferior product in todays world.

    Peter

    PJB, Feb 14, 2006

  2. PJB

    shannon Guest

    PJB wrote:
    > or does she use the Telstra cable system in Wellington where she lives and
    > maybe that is the reason why it hasn't been improved.
    >
    > Most of us have seen the new Telecom pricing and everything I have read so
    > far compares Telecom with ISP's reselling the ADSL from Telecom.
    >
    > No one has mentioned the Telestra Cable system we have in Wellington. I also
    > have a house in Auckland where I use ADSL 2Mb D/Load and 128Kb U/Load, this
    > costs me $69.95 per month.
    > In Wellington the Telstra cable is 2Mb D/Load and 1Mb U/Load. This cost me
    > $69.95 /month.
    >
    > In Wellington I get download speeds at night in the order of 170-250Kb/sec
    > on Telstra and during the day up to 700Kb, but the Telecom ADSL in Auckland
    > only delivers me 14-30Kb during the same peak periods at night, daytime is
    > faster but not alot.
    >
    > Why can't Telecom provide a similiar system as Telstra thoughout the
    > country, ADSL is an inferior product in todays world.
    >
    > Peter

    Telecom has twisted pair telephone lines to each house and telstra has
    rf coax to a limited number of houses.
    Telstra Saturn was a completely new network, with a fiber backbone to
    the street cabinets.
    Thats what Telecom would have to roll out, and in this day and age they
    might as well do fiber all the way like Citylink.
    The best you can do is change isps on your ADSL connection, what you are
    getting from Telecom is standard for a 256k connection not a 2M
    connection, thats probably due to the contention ratio that Xtra feel
    they can get away with.
    The ADSL technology can work at similar speeds to cable, but over
    shorter distances than the average subscriber to exchange path in NZ.

    shannon, Feb 14, 2006

  3. PJB

    Mutley Guest

    "PJB" <> wrote:

    >or does she use the Telstra cable system in Wellington where she lives and
    >maybe that is the reason why it hasn't been improved.
    >
    >Most of us have seen the new Telecom pricing and everything I have read so
    >far compares Telecom with ISP's reselling the ADSL from Telecom.
    >
    >No one has mentioned the Telestra Cable system we have in Wellington. I also
    >have a house in Auckland where I use ADSL 2Mb D/Load and 128Kb U/Load, this
    >costs me $69.95 per month.
    >In Wellington the Telstra cable is 2Mb D/Load and 1Mb U/Load. This cost me
    >$69.95 /month.
    >
    >In Wellington I get download speeds at night in the order of 170-250Kb/sec
    >on Telstra and during the day up to 700Kb, but the Telecom ADSL in Auckland
    >only delivers me 14-30Kb during the same peak periods at night, daytime is
    >faster but not alot.
    >
    >Why can't Telecom provide a similiar system as Telstra thoughout the
    >country, ADSL is an inferior product in todays world.
    >
    >Peter

    I suspect that Teresa has the only Wellington ADSL2 feed. Especially
    run to her house.

    As for Telecom putting fiber into every house ?? Pigs mite fly. and
    the same goes for Telstra doing that as well.. Notice how it all
    stopped when they bought into Saturn??

    Mutley, Feb 15, 2006
  4. PJB

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:08:04 +1300, shannon <> wrote:

    >PJB wrote:
    >> or does she use the Telstra cable system in Wellington where she lives and
    >> maybe that is the reason why it hasn't been improved.
    >>
    >> Most of us have seen the new Telecom pricing and everything I have read so
    >> far compares Telecom with ISP's reselling the ADSL from Telecom.
    >>
    >> No one has mentioned the Telestra Cable system we have in Wellington. I also
    >> have a house in Auckland where I use ADSL 2Mb D/Load and 128Kb U/Load, this
    >> costs me $69.95 per month.
    >> In Wellington the Telstra cable is 2Mb D/Load and 1Mb U/Load. This cost me
    >> $69.95 /month.
    >>
    >> In Wellington I get download speeds at night in the order of 170-250Kb/sec
    >> on Telstra and during the day up to 700Kb, but the Telecom ADSL in Auckland
    >> only delivers me 14-30Kb during the same peak periods at night, daytime is
    >> faster but not alot.
    >>
    >> Why can't Telecom provide a similiar system as Telstra thoughout the
    >> country, ADSL is an inferior product in todays world.
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    >Telecom has twisted pair telephone lines to each house and telstra has
    >rf coax to a limited number of houses.
    >Telstra Saturn was a completely new network, with a fiber backbone to
    >the street cabinets.
    >Thats what Telecom would have to roll out, and in this day and age they
    >might as well do fiber all the way like Citylink.
    >The best you can do is change isps on your ADSL connection, what you are
    >getting from Telecom is standard for a 256k connection not a 2M
    >connection, thats probably due to the contention ratio that Xtra feel
    >they can get away with.
    >The ADSL technology can work at similar speeds to cable, but over
    >shorter distances than the average subscriber to exchange path in NZ.

    The problem is they don't have the bandwidth available into the DSLAM you're
    connected to at the local excahnge, whereas Telstra probably do. Telecom are
    sharing the line at a 50:1 ratio from the exchange, regardless of what ISP you
    are using.

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/binarys/ws_bulletin_august_24_2005.pdf

    Craig Shore, Feb 16, 2006