Telecoms advice if your adsl is going slowly...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. This is what telecom requested me to do , because my connection is slow.
    Interestingly, I get full speed adsl using my jetstreamgames ID, but, 65kbps
    using my xtra id. And, I am only 1/3 of my cap. So, basically if telecoms
    screwing something up, you have to wait 3 days, and do lots of tests before
    they will lift a finger.

    Telecom provides a website located at http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
    for the purposes of testing the speed of your Broadband connection. For the
    purposes of testing your speed, please ensure the following:

    7 That you have closed all other programs that use the internet
    before starting the tests.

    7 That you have only one (1) computer plugged in to your modem or
    router at the time of testing your speed.

    7 If you have wireless router, please run the speed tests off a
    computer connected to your router via Ethernet (wired connection) rather
    than a wireless link.

    At each time period where you run the 500k Download Test we require you
    the test once with your Xtra username stored in your modem or router, and
    once with the username stored in your modem or
    router. If you require assistance to do this please call the Xtra Broadband
    Helpdesk on 0800 22 55 98. (Note: if you are using a modem or router that
    has not been purchased through Telecom NZ Ltd you will need to seek support
    from the manufacturer).

    Here is an example speed test result:

    Underneath the bar graph it will lists TWO different numbers. The first
    number (271.4) is the speed in kilobits per second, the second (33.3) is the
    speed in kilobytes per second. Please either include both of these numbers
    OR clearly specify which of the two figures you are providing in the
    information you send back to us.

    Once you have completed all the tests over the three day period, you will
    need to cut and paste the following template (overleaf) into an email and
    email it to

    Please also ensure that you place the case number that you were given in the
    subject line of the email.

    For further information on speed, please visit the following link:
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/speed

    DAY 1
    TIME: 12:49:00
    XTRA ID: 64.1 Kbps
    JSG ID: 2227.1 Kbps

    TIME: <insert time>
    XTRA ID: <insert speed>

    JSG ID: <insert speed>
    TIME: <insert time>

    XTRA ID: <insert speed>
    JSG ID: <insert speed>

    DAY 2
    TIME: <insert time>
    XTRA ID: <insert speed>
    JSG ID: <insert speed>

    TIME: <insert time>
    XTRA ID: <insert speed>
    JSG ID: <insert speed>

    TIME: <insert time>
    XTRA ID: <insert speed>

    JSG ID: <insert speed>

    DAY 3
    TIME: <insert time>
    XTRA ID: <insert speed>
    JSG ID: <insert speed>
    TIME: <insert time>
    XTRA ID: <insert speed>
    JSG ID: <insert speed>
    TIME: <insert time>
    XTRA ID: <insert speed>
    JSG ID: <insert speed
    news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 16, 2005

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    David D Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > This is what telecom requested me to do , because my connection is slow.
    > Interestingly, I get full speed adsl using my jetstreamgames ID, but, 65kbps
    > using my xtra id. And, I am only 1/3 of my cap. So, basically if telecoms
    > screwing something up, you have to wait 3 days, and do lots of tests before
    > they will lift a finger.

    SNIP

    How are you finding downloads from NZ sites compared to international,
    my international downloads are slow, but NZ sites are 230KB/Sec , so
    downloading test files from the jetsreamgames server would show no
    problems, it's the traffic coming into NZ that they are shaping which is
    the problem.

    David
    David D, Aug 16, 2005

  3. "David D" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> This is what telecom requested me to do , because my connection is slow.
    >> Interestingly, I get full speed adsl using my jetstreamgames ID, but,
    >> 65kbps using my xtra id. And, I am only 1/3 of my cap. So, basically if
    >> telecoms screwing something up, you have to wait 3 days, and do lots of
    >> tests before they will lift a finger.

    > SNIP
    >
    > How are you finding downloads from NZ sites compared to international, my
    > international downloads are slow, but NZ sites are 230KB/Sec , so
    > downloading test files from the jetsreamgames server would show no
    > problems, it's the traffic coming into NZ that they are shaping which is
    > the problem.
    >
    > David

    Maybe my case is different , since both international and national are slow.

    But, one strange thing, using the jetstream user id, it runs at fullspeed.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 17, 2005